2024 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

So probably my own fault but because I set my crab trap last weekend down around the bell area and after the day of fishing it was gone.
So yesterday I bought a New trap , float , weighted rope,bait holder, and today fishing sand heads I set in that area so as to keep an eye on it. Sure enough we watched the blue boat commercial guy messing with it. We reeled up and went over and of course it was gone. Thought about confrontation but decided nothing good could come of it and they would know my boat. But I did watch them and now I know who did it. and learnt my lesson. And so will they one day I’m thinking.
Report it.

Hey all, I took the grandkids out yesterday, and it was a great day. We fished shallow in the AM. Top lines at 30 feet, bottoms at 60 trolling anchovies and sardines, with green-glow heads and bright chrome one-side flashers. It was non-stop action until 11 AM, then it slowed down, so we went deeper - 90 feet and 43 ( it got bright out; the fish don't have eyelids, was our logic), and it worked, and the bite was back! It slowed down again around 3 PM, so we came back up to 30/60, and I managed to keep the bite on all day. For as any of you parents or grandparents out there know,: You MUST keep the action steady, or the youngsters get bored and start complaining - which is hellish. . We lost a lot of fish - admittedly, fishing legal and barbless, each kid wanting to try netting and playing fish, as it was only the grandkid's wife and I, but it is part of the fun and how they learn. But we finally managed to fill the cooler, it just took all day! Including three big Harrison whites of over 30 pounds! ( Helps fill the smoker fast!) The 12-year-old caught 2 of them himself, and he did great! Many thanks to you great people who kept your distance while our junior crew was playing their fish> it was noticed and appreciated. Cyber hugs, Sporfishing BC mates., many thanks.

Attachments

• 460839280_10160287648301481_8403285322913486593_n.jpg
    460839280_10160287648301481_8403285322913486593_n.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 188
Hey all, I took the grandkids out yesterday, and it was a great day. We fished shallow in the AM. Top lines at 30 feet, bottoms at 60 trolling anchovies and sardines, with green-glow heads and bright chrome one-side flashers. It was non-stop action until 11 AM, then it slowed down, so we went deeper - 90 feet and 43 ( it got bright out; the fish don't have eyelids, was our logic), and it worked, and the bite was back! It slowed down again around 3 PM, so we came back up to 30/60, and I managed to keep the bite on all day. For as any of you parents or grandparents out there know,: You MUST keep the action steady, or the youngsters get bored and start complaining - which is hellish. . We lost a lot of fish - admittedly, fishing legal and barbless, each kid wanting to try netting and playing fish, as it was only the grandkid's wife and I, but it is part of the fun and how they learn. But we finally managed to fill the cooler, it just took all day! Including three big Harrison whites of over 30 pounds! ( Helps fill the smoker fast!) The 12-year-old caught 2 of them himself, and he did great! Many thanks to you great people who kept your distance while our junior crew was playing their fish> it was noticed and appreciated. Cyber hugs, Sporfishing BC mates., many thanks.
Good for you, your grandkids will remember days like this for the rest of their lives

So probably my own fault but because I set my crab trap last weekend down around the bell area and after the day of fishing it was gone.
So yesterday I bought a New trap , float , weighted rope,bait holder, and today fishing sand heads I set in that area so as to keep an eye on it. Sure enough we watched the blue boat commercial guy messing with it. We reeled up and went over and of course it was gone. Thought about confrontation but decided nothing good could come of it and they would know my boat. But I did watch them and now I know who did it. and learnt my lesson. And so will they one day I’m thinking.
It’s a resource for everyone!!! Not just commercial fishermen!!! Total BS. Report him !!

It’s a resource for everyone!!! Not just commercial fishermen!!! Total BS. Report him !!
Davis I have a round stainless trap you can have; I switched to big tanner traps. I will give you my address to swing by if Maple Ridge is not too far away; I am here all the time, and I work from home . What they did is not right; it will buy me some good karma, perhaps. Just PM me, Davis. I will give you my address, Cheers

Last edited:
I know you all are chasing the chinook around the Fraser...but coho are still around SE Bowen too!

Was out with some never-fished-before guests yesterday at Cowans Point. Around 10-15 boats in the area.

We had steady action for the 2-3hrs we were out there. Many unclipped coho and 2 clipped coho for us. One unclipped shaker that was pretty close to being legal (30cm). Smiles all around. Guests were in awe that we were having this experience so close to the city.

Easy limit of two for us. Nonstop action for us in the north west of the lighthouse and between 200-250 fow. Hooked a couple of chinooks in 55’ and then it slowed down for half hour or so. Dropped the gear deeper in 85 and 110’ and we got action right away. Finished with 3 minty mid-teen marbles and a 20 lb white - all males.

Easy limit of two for us. Nonstop action for us in the north west of the lighthouse and between 200-250 fow. Hooked a couple of chinooks in 55’ and then it slowed down for half hour or so. Dropped the gear deeper in 85 and 110’ and we got action right away. Finished with 3 minty mid-teen marbles and a 20 lb white - all males.
Are the fish turning darker by the day?

Haha he's moving a ton of water! Weird they're using a tug that size for sechelt sand? They always run those smaller ones, we watch them do bay day, night, day night all year round.

Those blue tugs put out on hell of a wake, but you couldn't really tell yesterday with all the awesome seas haha
One of those super tugs going full power down the North Arm swamp my boat. He was pushing alot of water there was no place for me to go but up and over I saw this sign at the marine about watching your wake. These Tug boat captains should know better.

One of those super tugs going full power down the North Arm swamp my boat. He was pushing alot of water there was no place for me to go but up and over I saw this sign at the marine about watching your wake. These Tug boat captains should know better.
Get a photo and report the incident to the coastguard.
The operator has an obligation to operate in a safe manor at all times especially in high traffic areas. I have several family members in the coastguard.

Back