2024 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Sandheads today from 8:30-12:30
Fishing out deeper 300-450 feet so much action but mostly coho big wild coho no sign of hatchery managed to scrape out a couple of chinooks around 10 lbs one red one marble all and all a great day man there were lots of fish being caught …. Man those coho where nice looking fresh fish biggest one must of been around 15lbs big hooked nose hit like a freight train
Lots of boats hitting fish around us but didn’t see a lot of fish being released pretty sure and by our catch ratio that some of those must of been wild coho would have been great day day to have a fisheries boat be checking

Great morning! Left Burrard Civic at 6:10am, first line in the water at Sandheads 7:22, first fish on at 7:22 (in seconds), Chinook Limit for 2 @ 8:25. Fished till 9:30 (fast-trolled short-leashed hootchies looking for a hatchery coho). Got cocky and sent a home-tied bucktail down with no flasher; no luck.

Released a couple very nice wild coho, a couple small Chinook, lost a couple/few… back at dock at 10:30am… fuelled up and home by 11am. ~10 fish to the boat? Two double headers, incl. a double-bag after a solo net job. Lost a big, unseen chinook and called it a day. Fished between 40-75’.

Fishing was HOT; reminded me of Sept.1. Never got to use our bait; started with a glow spoon, a glow hoochie and glow flashers in the low light and quickly realized bait was not necessary; salty herring are back in the freezer. Flat water, crisp air, great morning… even saw a BIG chinook porpoise half out the water on our way home.

My two fish were white; not sure about my buddy’s fish, but at least one was likely white.

Sheesh what a day. After tubbing out early at SH we decided what the hell, let’s cross. Stopped off and gave the doggy a nice walk/break. Then worked the ‘ol honey holes for an hour and scratched up a couple 66cm lings. Drifted for a while had a couple beers and crossed back, flat calm all day. Amazing. Biggest was 23lb

Attachments

• IMG_6604.jpeg
    IMG_6604.jpeg
    391.6 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_6608.jpeg
    IMG_6608.jpeg
    218.5 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_6612.jpeg
    IMG_6612.jpeg
    291 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_5213.jpeg
    IMG_5213.jpeg
    269.2 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_6593.jpeg
    IMG_6593.jpeg
    714.7 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_6598.jpeg
    IMG_6598.jpeg
    646.1 KB · Views: 200
Sheesh what a day. After tubbing out early at SH we decided what the hell, let’s cross. Stopped off and gave the doggy a nice walk/break. Then worked the ‘ol honey holes for an hour and scratched up a couple 66cm lings. Drifted for a while had a couple beers and crossed back, flat calm all day. Amazing. Biggest was 23lb
Now that’s a day you can’t complain about

That’s why it’s the hero tack lol. If I’m solo I’ll stay out of the pack, but if I got a good guy with me like today, I’m right in there, elbows up
Heading out to SH tomorrow mid-day; hopefully winds behave (getting different picture from Windy vs. WindAlert...).

If I wanted to attempt the "hero tack" where would my route be relative to say the green can and SH platform station ? Water depth, tack direction etc. Or....is that just where majority of boats seem to be following each other ?? Thanks !

Heading out to SH tomorrow mid-day; hopefully winds behave (getting different picture from Windy vs. WindAlert...).

If I wanted to attempt the "hero tack" where would my route be relative to say the green can and SH platform station ? Water depth, tack direction etc. Or....is that just where majority of boats seem to be following each other ?? Thanks !
Good luck ;) Tack is wherever the hell you want lol

Attachments

• IMG_6615.jpeg
    IMG_6615.jpeg
    501 KB · Views: 177
What a day yesterday at sand heads . Arms are killing me from the non stop action. Barely had time to drink a beer . **** on a plate conditions . Can’t believe the size of the coho. Seems like they just keep getting bigger and bigger . The creel survey dude at the launch says lots of people are mistakenly keeping them as they think there chinook because the the size .
Saw the orcas heading towards T10 when heading in around 130-2.
humpies in the distance too.
Stellar day.

What a day yesterday at sand heads . Arms are killing me from the non stop action. Barely had time to drink a beer . **** on a plate conditions . Can’t believe the size of the coho. Seems like they just keep getting bigger and bigger . The creel survey dude at the launch says lots of people are mistakenly keeping them as they think there chinook because the the size .
Saw the orcas heading towards T10 when heading in around 130-2.
humpies in the distance too.
Stellar day.
What time were you out there?

I'm heading out today for a short outing with some excited youngsters. Thinking Cowans or T10. Fishing 11:00-14:00ish (which means on the ebb tide)

Lines in the water at 0800. Fish on before I reached for the second rod. Busy until about 11:00, then slow for us next three hours. Limited about 2 pm. Anchovy and white hoochy. Most at 45-55 feet. Caught and released the biggest pink salmon I’ve ever seen and a number of good size Coho (no keepers). Fish were being caught over a huge area. Didn’t seem to matter much where you fished. Boats were all over.

Stopped by T10 around 1030am yesterday.. had about 20 minutes of no action and decided to continue on to sandheads. Caught an unusual amount of chum.

Once the slack was done it was bonkers. We had a double header.. mine spit the hook and my buddy was hooked into something well into the 40+ range. Consistently thought he snagged bottom it had so much weight to it. After an epic fight it bent the hook and got off.

Next fish was a mid 20's.. just as we go for the net it made a final run straight into the prop and cut the line.

Finished up the day with our limits ranging from 10-18lbs.

One epic double header where we left one fish in the rod holder for a solid 5+ minutes making runs. Ended up with both in the net together.

We fished around the 5-600' foot range and all action was at 75' again. The biggest was on a hootchie and everything else on anchovies and herring that were refrozen 7 times.

Back