2024 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Today's report... saw the amazing forecast and messaged a couple of buddies. It's tough having a full license with so many fish out there... so I find a couple friend's and make their day, while I hope to get lucky on a hatch coho.

Today was bliss, marine forecast for light winds... and partially sunny. I'll tell you what it was... 100% very foggy most of the morning till around noon. Ships were blasting their horns all around, and there were plenty of people out fishing. Counted 130 boats around 1pm.

Got to the Ferry Rd boat ramp at 6:20am... sadly, to see a lineup of boats twiddling their thumbs waiting for some water. I used the time to get all set up. Got the colleagues' gear on board and waited. Around 645, I started to see some people launching. By 7 am, we were floating and heading out. Someone turned around to head to Richmond minutes before everyone started to launch. It's amazing how fast that water can come up once the tide changes.

Blast down the river was spectacular, and right before the lighthouse, things became pretty grey. Headed out past all the boats scattered in the fog and picked up a nice Chinook right away at 69 feet on herring. Everyone was hooking up on fish. Picked off the guys four Chinook. The two biggest were 19 and 24. All fish at 55 to 69. Released a couple wild coho... and a couple of adults springs and a jack. Wanted to try for hatchery coho, so put a spoon and hootchie on. The spoon got crushed. After a few pulls, the fish just swims right to me. She gets by the boat and turns... I say it's a hatchery... maybe too loud cause she veered behind the boat and launched airborne... tossing the hook.

Released another wild coho later on the spoon and had a few quick strikes. Finished off with a hog chinook hitting the spoon at 55 feet... after a few runs before we saw it, the fish popped off. Fished till 1:30 pm, and headed back to the dock.

By the end of the day, we had stripped down to shorts and felt like going for a swim. Beauty late September day.

It's hard to beat the great action. I hope everyone out had lots of exciting hooks ups and stayed out of the shipping lane.

Attachments

• 20240924_082928.jpg
    20240924_082928.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 133
  • 20240924_093537.jpg
    20240924_093537.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 135
  • 20240924_111057.jpg
    20240924_111057.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 140
  • 20240924_142124.jpg
    20240924_142124.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 136
  • signal-2024-09-24-161130.jpeg
    signal-2024-09-24-161130.jpeg
    317.5 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Sand heads today foggy in the morning
please peep's don't run on plane if you only got 10 yards visibility.... ??????
only 2 springs one a hog of over 33-36+ lbs 39.5"X26" depending on 800/740 forumla other 12lbs and 3 X 12lb+ coho that where unclipped so swam away .....

Attachments

• 461418410_10162307378964225_6604250605763308237_n.jpg
    461418410_10162307378964225_6604250605763308237_n.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Super foggy this morning, thought it best to be outside the pack due to all the marine horn’s going off. once the fog lifted I was amazed to see 150+ boats that were out there in the fog, 5 coho to the boat all wild lost another 3, all depths, anchovies no banana cop car all worked equally

Had a quick and dirty shake down of the boat at Sandheads. Hooked a few but lost them all for one reason or another. One snapped off which never happens (I swear). Long before the bead chain and flasher so assuming it was a tangle at some point that weakened it. I let my buddy take every fish so I could play with the electronics. He lost a 15lb chrome bullet beside the boat by just letting tension off for a second. Two missed hits, or they never stuck at all. Few coho released. Finding it hard to get the throttle just right when running off one of the 150s. Everything needs reworking or fine tuning. Including my buddies game.

Had a quick and dirty shake down of the boat at Sandheads. Hooked a few but lost them all for one reason or another. One snapped off which never happens (I swear). Long before the bead chain and flasher so assuming it was a tangle at some point that weakened it. I let my buddy take every fish so I could play with the electronics. He lost a 15lb chrome bullet beside the boat by just letting tension off for a second. Two missed hits, or they never stuck at all. Few coho released. Finding it hard to get the throttle just right when running off one of the 150s. Everything needs reworking or fine tuning. Including my buddies game.
I would add an autopilot with a remote steering and throttle control for the next season.

Put in the afternoon shift from 1 pm to 4 pm today. Much slower than Friday - and all the other days we've been out in September - but managed to scratch out four springs. All smalls ~12 lbs, three whites, one red. No coho, whereas couldn't keep them off Friday. Conditions couldn't have been better.

All were caught on 5 1/2" - 6" sardines (10 pack). PNT didn't have any anchovies last time I was in and they said they are getting hard to find. First impressions: pretty good substitute for anchovies, but still prefer the original. Look very similar, but a bit deeper and fatter. Also seemed softer, even after brining. I usually like to run my hook all the way through and out the opposite side of the bait as I find it holds better and doesn't rip the bait up as quickly, but they were on the border of being too fat to get the hook all the way through. Not quite as shiny as anchovies either, but I found the scales were tougher than herring and similar to anchovies. Fit the Anchovy Special teaser heads nicely and gave a nice roll; I think they'd work well in the Bullet Roll heads as well. I picked up some Luhr Jensen heads in a derby prize pack last year and have been quite impressed fishing them all summer. Seem to always give a consistent roll and are less sensitive to the hook placement in the bait. They also worked well with the sardines.

Headed out this morning with a couple colleagues from work to Sand Heads. Launched at 7am and got out around 730. As soon as one rod was down FISH ON. I handed the rod to the greenest man on board. I don't think he's been on boat on the ocean or ever held a fishing rod. Was a decent fish and got it close to the boat. I tried a reaching net but fish saw it coming and took off. He held onto the knuckle buster like his life depended on it... as the rod flattened out the mainline snapped.... and I watched my flasher rapidly vanish into the cloudy water.

So it was time for some education, haha.

Then got the rods down again. It was another instant hook up. A beauty Thompson Red. Can't believe they're still out there. Then got the lines back down and doubled up on a big wild coho and another white Chinook that my buddy managed a bit better and we got in the boat.

Then we missed a couple and It went dead at 10:30. Like someone turned off the switch. Bunch of boats with guys twiddling their thumbs.

Then out from the pack around 1 pm we hooked another at 40 feet. Then another bite right after at 80 feet.

Trolled till around 3 pm without seeing any nets or even getting a sniff. Crazy how it shut down after a hot morning bite.
Maybe I can convince one of my buddies to head out again tomorrow. Weather looks great!
It didn't happen to be a green flasher and a lure would it? Lol brought up a fish today at t10, was so confused had flashers hanging off of it and hooks in the mouth, but none of the hooks were mine 😂😂

Man SH has been so fun. What do you all reckon will happen once the atmospheric rivers pass through this week? Hoping to get out once more next week- I still have space on my license!
A lot of them will go up river, but a smaller amount of fresh whites will show up. It will go from crazy fishing to normal fishing lol.
After Sept 30 I’d work the North Arm/Bell or the Cap

A lot of them will go up river, but a smaller amount of fresh whites will show up. It will go from crazy fishing to normal fishing lol.
After Sept 30 I’d work the North Arm/Bell or the Cap
Oct 7 last year was into some springs mixed with coho after a dry weather spell at SH. Nothing life changing but definitely worth it so long as your not risking things with your life partner

I'm branching out from youtube... trialing this podcasting thing since its raining and I like to listen to them myself. Since I've been out fishing Sand Heads a few times this month and it's fresh... I thought I'd start with it. This is my no script wing it attempt. Probably should plan a script at least. Hard to ramble on the fly and not miss stuff.

Guys/Gals just getting into Sand Heads or ocean fishing might find it helpful. Most of this stuff I learned from the friendly posters here sharing their know how and excellent reports. This is my 7th year fishing Sand Heads. First time out doesn't seem like long ago in 2018 when I went after work with the wife and kids... and we caught 7 sockeye, a Chinook and a Hatchery coho. Crazy first evening.

If sharing this is a no no... just take it off. I don't mind.

Thanks again to all the gents for your help over the years!

I'm branching out from youtube... trialing this podcasting thing since its raining and I like to listen to them myself. Since I've been out fishing Sand Heads a few times this month and it's fresh... I thought I'd start with it. This is my no script wing it attempt. Probably should plan a script at least. Hard to ramble on the fly and not miss stuff.

Guys/Gals just getting into Sand Heads or ocean fishing might find it helpful. Most of this stuff I learned from the friendly posters here sharing their know how and excellent reports. This is my 7th year fishing Sand Heads. First time out doesn't seem like long ago in 2018 when I went after work with the wife and kids... and we caught 7 sockeye, a Chinook and a Hatchery coho. Crazy first evening.

Thanks again to all the gents for your help over the years!gave i

Thanks again to all the gents for your help over the years!
Gave it a listen. You covered it very well, nice job!

Back