2024 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Managed to sneak out this morning. Bite was decent early, boxed a 15lb white and a surprising chrome 12lb red. Lost a couple decent ones and a couple missed hits. Lost one 10’ from the boat and my lure snapped back right at my head, ducked quickly and just avoided a hook in my ear. Home by 11am and off to a job, lol.
Sand heads, action at 50-60’ on the rigger.

Managed to sneak out this morning. Bite was decent early, boxed a 15lb white and a surprising chrome 12lb red. Lost a couple decent ones and a couple missed hits. Lost one 10’ from the boat and my lure snapped back right at my head, ducked quickly and just avoided a hook in my ear. Home by 11am and off to a job, lol.
Sand heads, action at 50-60’ on the rigger.
Why are all of your reports filled with adventure, danger, and near misses? Just so you know, I live vicariously through you.

Sandheads solo shift from 3:00 to 6:30. Should have had a film crew there to film the “Long Line Release Clinic”. Finally got to use the net on the 10th hit and landed a 12lb red. 11th hit was a wild coho released at boat. Next two hits were back to the long line release routine. Not sure why it was so bad for me today. Spoons and anchovies. Hooks just were not setting well. All action was 50’ to 65’ on rigger.

Got checked by DFO yesterday right afternoon. Right after they left the rod which was in the water shacked a little weird and when I pulled it up it had a chinook on someone's tackle tangled with my main line. As a bonus I cough someone's flasher hanging on my downrigger with chovie helmet.

We looked carefully in to the line and it looks like the knot just got untied.
Lesson - make stronger knots!
I think you found our green onion! Does it have the thin glow strip on the other side? We had an awesome day fishing at Sandheads Tuesday afternoon on a friend's big yacht, but sacrificed a fair amount of gear to the fishing gods to end up with our full cooler. That was the first thing to go. I grabbed by buddies rod as it popped the clip, and as I went to adjust the drag the rod bent way down, then popped straight up with no tension. Reeled in and everything was gone. I thought I might have horsed it too hard and snapped the line, or got sealed. Knot failure makes perfect sense. We then lost a nice coated 18 lb cannonball when the terminal tackle clip broke on the retrieve. Lesson learned to regularly check all your knots and gear. We lost a second flasher with a spoon which had a salmon on that just came up to the surface, when it was run over by a boat that made too tight a turn behind us. Frustrating but happens in the pack. Lost a couple of clips from various double stacking shenanigans. Final piece of gear lost was the replacement older finned cannonball we put down. We got too close to a prawn trap in the flooding tide, and the riggers tangled in the line. Managed to retrieve one ball and all the tackle, but lost old finny.

Otherwise best day on the water this year! Hope to get out again this week, with some new gear on board and fresh knots on the lines. Paravoffka please keep the flasher as it evidently works well. Enjoy the Chinook too!

8 lb cannonball when the terminal tackle clip broke on the retrieve. Lesson learned to regularly check all your knots and gear. We lost a second flasher with a spoon which had a salmon on that just came
the trouble with stainless steel a lot of times is you can't predict the failure. Sailboaters will tell you this.

Had gear in around 1 and was quiet for us for a couple of hours. Saw a few get picked off which made me jealous. Then we got on a good bite at 3/4ish that was steady until we pulled up at 6:30. 6 in the tub with more played and lost by my crew. On the shallower side in tight at sandheads

Did our first shift at Sandheads yesterday dropped the lines at 12:30 done at 4 pm picked up four nice chinooks all on white hooch mostly away from the pack at 77 on rigger … ran a herring on one side white hooch on the other both hits on herring side didn’t stick … single hook on white hooch seemed to get better hook set for us
Only used 2 herring out of the 16 we had lucky day

On a friend’s boat at T10. Here since 6.40am. A bit slow and steady for us but 4 chinook and a lovely big clipped coho on boat. Wind has picked up. Best gear has been my white grand slam bucktail with a glow green hoochi on top of it with half the tentacles pulled. I’m calling it a hoochie-tail because it sounds a little bit slutty!

image.jpg

Back