2024 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Took the kids out after their hard 1-hour first day of school. Fished Sandheads 1:30 - 4:30 and had sporadic action away from the crowds and strong action on the green can tack.

Pulled lines with 6 fish in the well: 4 chinooks and 2 hatchery coho. Coho were both thick pigs. Chinooks were 1 red, 2 marble, 1 white. Hardly anything in any of the fish’s stomachs except for a few small anchovies.

We got 4 of 6 keepers on anchovies, the remaining 2 on flash spoons. Deepest fish was 55’. Most up high above that. Lost or missed as many fish as we kept.

IMG_8822.jpeg

Starting the school year right!

Beauty day at Sandheads! Perfect weather this afternoon. DFO was out. Brother and sister inlaw were along today. After watching people destroy them yesterday on anchovies my brother was like... we need anchovies.

So waited till a store was open... got some tiny feeble anchovies what they had left at McFugals and a pack of herring.

Then headed out. Yesterday on the way home I just lazily layed some rods on the side. They drove all the way home fine. But then must of shifted during travel. We'll one must have caught sail and flew out on the highway. Someone flagged me over... and I looked back and in the rear view mirror I see two more rods hanging on the side of my boat hanging from the downrigger. Yikes... and when I set them there I said I should put them away. Bro was like... nah they'll be fine... haha. Good thing was only couple hundred dollar outfit.

Got to the launch at 12:05. Super low. Unloaded... almost didn't get out. Think I was dragging in the mud haha.

Soon as we drop down fish on the anchovy and fish on the herring. Action was hot! 40 feet to 70 feet. Even couple hits at 97. Got our 4 to keep 3 red one white and released a few looking for coho. But only couple wild coho today for us. Great fun out with the family.

Attachments

• 20240903_152909.jpg
    20240903_152909.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 153
  • 20240903_133316.jpg
    20240903_133316.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 148
  • 20240903_171445.jpg
    20240903_171445.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 148
  • received_3766654316890210.jpeg
    received_3766654316890210.jpeg
    328.6 KB · Views: 149
Another epic day of world class salmon fishing at Sandheads! After packaging up the first 2 days catch this morning I’m looking at the weather and it could be windy Wednesday so I ask the wife - why don’t we take advantage of this beautiful day and go to Sandheads? She said let’s do it and down to Captains Cove and off we go arriving at SH at approx 2:00 which lined up nicely with the flood turn and we had a hit in the first 15 minutes and a nice one in the box.! Then had a visit from fisheries who came along our starboard side and checked our licenses and hook on the starboard side while we were still fishing the Portside rod! Anyway all good and then 2 double headers and before long we had our 4 and back to the marine at 4:30! I have been fishing SH for 15 years and so far this year has been the best. All on small and midsize chovies at 60 to 70’. Released a couple of small chinook. We need as a group to maintain our access to this world class fishery - the Public Anglers Association and the Sport Fishing Institute are 2 excellent organizations that are working hard to represent us at the negotiation table. We actually have a lot of power if we work together.

Attachments

• IMG_1862.jpeg
    IMG_1862.jpeg
    513.7 KB · Views: 77
Anyone with feedback on the water conditions today as the environment Canada website had predicted Northwest 10 to 20 knots for today and through the rest of the week normally this would be fairly lumpy would you say it was accurate?
Is Windy a more accurate source?

Anyone with feedback on the water conditions today as the environment Canada website had predicted Northwest 10 to 20 knots for today and through the rest of the week normally this would be fairly lumpy would you say it was accurate?
Is Windy a more accurate source?
try out my site sportyapp.ca. I have a 48 hr forecast which is very localized and has been accurate for the last two days I’ve been fishing.

Attachments

• IMG_1669.png
    IMG_1669.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 46
Got checked by DFO yesterday right afternoon. Right after they left the rod which was in the water shacked a little weird and when I pulled it up it had a chinook on someone's tackle tangled with my main line. As a bonus I cough someone's flasher hanging on my downrigger with chovie helmet.

We looked carefully in to the line and it looks like the knot just got untied.
Lesson - make stronger knots!

Last edited:
The first thing which came to our mind was - holly cow there were some guys poaching and when they saw DFO approaching they cut the line off to avoid the problems and we run in to the cut off fish with (assumed barbed hooks!!!). Luckily the hooks weren't barbed.

So the question is - if the DFO would ask me to pull the other road and on that road would be the fish with entangled barbed hooks would I be harassed by DFO and got a ticket or they would see it themselves that the hooks are not mine and let it go?

Got checked by DFO yesterday right afternoon. Right after they left the rod which was in the water shacked a little weird and when I pulled it up it had a chinook on someone's tackle tangled with my main line. As a bonus I cough someone's flasher hanging on my downrigger with chovie helmet.

We looked carefully in to the line and it looks like the knot just got untied.
Lesson - make stronger knots!
green plastic flasher with silver grid/flash? green/glow chovie helmet? big fish?

Are you serious? That would be hilarious... we had a big fish hit on Monday... popped the pin immediately, and the rod bent over, the reel's handle jammed against the rigger handle/housing, so the rod bent even MORE... we finally got the rod out of the holder and started to play the fish, but the damage was done: everything had been stressed more than I thought was possible and the line broke... seemed like it could have been at the knot connection to the swivel and snap... so lost the flasher etc. and the fish. I forget if we were trolling a hoochy or a chovie at that point though...

Are you serious? That would be hilarious... we had a big fish hit on Monday... popped the pin immediately, and the rod bent over, the reel's handle jammed against the rigger handle/housing, so the rod bent even MORE... we finally got the rod out of the holder and started to play the fish, but the damage was done: everything had been stressed more than I thought was possible and the line broke... seemed like it could have been at the knot connection to the swivel and snap... so lost the flasher etc. and the fish. I forget if we were trolling a hoochy or a chovie at that point though...
The helmet looks more white than green. But it is glow.

Attachments

• IMG_20240903_141400.jpg
    IMG_20240903_141400.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 137
Back