2024 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Was pretty calm at t10 when we arrived there around 1:30 but when we left at around 3:30 it was starting to pick up a bit. Supposed to be nice and calm out there tomorrow. We just had the one Chinook barely legal to show for our efforts. We had to deal with a lot of shakers. No weeds. Lots of boats and fairly regular action amongst the boats. We just didn't quite have it dialed in yet. Using the small anchovy I think they might be a bit too small seem to be attracting all the shakers.
I was using small anchovies on one side and 8”herring on the other . Didn’t get one shaker but had lots of big wild coho taking the herring .

It has been years since I have made it on the ocean. Fished t10 2-6pm yesterday, 2 unders and a wild coho released and 2 keeper springs. Thanks to a report a couple days ago, 100 -120’ double glow white hootchie. Could not get a hit on bait

Attachments

• IMG_6228.jpeg
    IMG_6228.jpeg
    322.4 KB · Views: 101
It has been years since I have made it on the ocean. Fished t10 2-6pm yesterday, 2 unders and a wild coho released and 2 keeper springs. Thanks to a report a couple days ago, 100 -120’ double glow white hootchie. Could not get a hit on bait
That was deep, but you're not the only report that had success there. Spoons and hoochies do seem to be working well.

T10 yesterday, 3 nooks from 715 to 830 am all about 16 lbs. Few coho, one stupid doggie due to going too slow, another long line release on a hog that completely knuckle dusted my buddy who bled all over my reel and then quiet until 12:45 pm when we bonked a 22 lb. All reds, all between 90 and 135' on rubber.

BTW I'm still using the same two flashers I started the season with, bite marks and all.

Screenshot_20240903_074229_Gallery.jpg

Spent Sunday 11 am - 2 pm and Monday 7 am - 8 am at Sandheads to pick up four each day. All mid teens. Fished anchovies and herring, with the former catching 7 of the 8. Everyone was catching fish on Saturday. We had several jacks, a wild coho and a dogfish Saturday. Looked slower on Sunday, but was better for us, couldn’t get the second rod in the water for the last three.

Best entertainment on Sunday was listening to channel 16 and the usual summer long weekend shenanigans. Caught the CG side of three separate mayday calls - one near Victoria and one in the US with a boat run aground and stuck on a reef.

The last one was a 28 ft Grady White Marlin off Point Grey that was taking on water around 1 pm. Anyone here see what happened? The Grady couldn’t give their position properly which created all kinds of confusion. First they said they were about a mile from Point Grey (without giving the heading), then they gave their GPS coordinates, but those put them off the west coast of Vancouver Island. Sounded like they were actually three miles off Point Grey in the end. Several private boats called in to help and eventually the hovercraft showed up.

Interesting on that Grady as we passed by pt grey right about 115 pm or so and I didn't notice anything, hope they resolved it all. Odd that boat would take on water, I guess they may have tapped a dead head. So many gradys out yesterday too.

We finally got out, the bro and me yesterday... lost so many, but still got our limit off Sandheads yesterday, two reds and two whites. Had a sea lion grab one 5 feet from the boat and my brother just let the line loose... I was like what are you doing. He said I saw this on Instagram with sharks chasing hooked marlin.... well sure enough the salmon got away and we were able to land it.

I just had some really large older herring I had caught a few years back. First light we got nailed as soon as we dropped the line one on side. Chinook came off beside boat as it jumped. Then dropped second rod down and bam a huge male sockeye, crazy. Never thought they'd chew a big herring. Then again big herring had about a 25 pounder in the net boatside but made a head fake and back running another hundreds yards. Somehow on the way back in line just went loose. Finally landed a nice white around 20. Then our herring just stopped working. Everyone was just nailing them on anchovies it seems. We switched around and started getting them on white hootchies as well with the odd wild coho in the mix.

Guess I should have bought some anchovies or smaller herring. I got some underwater footage... so many Chinook trailing the hootchie and not biting. Amazing.

Attachments

• 20240902_085950.jpg
    20240902_085950.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 137
  • 20240902_104544.jpg
    20240902_104544.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 142
  • 20240902_210823.jpg
    20240902_210823.jpg
    360.2 KB · Views: 142
  • 20240902_144307.jpg
    20240902_144307.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 132
  • 20240902_121808.jpg
    20240902_121808.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 124
  • 20240902_222224.jpg
    20240902_222224.jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 148
Anyone know of any planned commercial openings out there?
We are planning on fishing Sandheads this Thursday Friday Saturday.

We finally got out, the bro and me yesterday... lost so many, but still got our limit off Sandheads yesterday, two reds and two whites. Had a sea lion grab one 5 feet from the boat and my brother just let the line loose... I was like what are you doing. He said I saw this on Instagram with sharks chasing hooked marlin.... well sure enough the salmon got away and we were able to land it.

I just had some really large older herring I had caught a few years back. First light we got nailed as soon as we dropped the line one on side. Chinook came off beside boat as it jumped. Then dropped second rod down and bam a huge male sockeye, crazy. Never thought they'd chew a big herring. Then again big herring had about a 25 pounder in the net boatside but made a head fake and back running another hundreds yards. Somehow on the way back in line just went loose. Finally landed a nice white around 20. Then our herring just stopped working. Everyone was just nailing them on anchovies it seems. We switched around and started getting them on white hootchies as well with the odd wild coho in the mix.

Guess I should have bought some anchovies or smaller herring. I got some underwater footage... so many Chinook trailing the hootchie and not biting. Amazing.
Great report! You should post the underwater footage!

Slow right now at SH had a good bite right when we got out here at 9am. Was late getting out stuck for two hours on the Alex Fraser bridge.

Have not seen many nets out in the last couple hours

Attachments

• IMG_2170.jpeg
    IMG_2170.jpeg
    288.2 KB · Views: 66
Back