2024 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

I just jam/jelly them in there. I rig a longer trailer because I hook them with the treble closer to the head. That way they don't over-bend and death spiral. I don't like modifying them or using the larger herring heads. But I also dry my bait out like crackers, never have a an issue with it falling apart that way. I've used the same bait for more than one fish several times.

I just jam/jelly them in there. I rig a longer trailer because I hook them with the treble closer to the head. That way they don't over-bend and death spiral. I don't like modifying them or using the larger herring heads. But I also dry my bait out like crackers, never have a an issue with it falling apart that way. I've used the same bait for more than one fish several times.
Bathe the herring in salt bath for a few days ?

For those wanting to catch a Coho in the Vancouver area this weekend get over to West Van between the Pink and the Bridge- with bait.

Attachments

• IMG_2665.png
    IMG_2665.png
    178.5 KB · Views: 127
Leaving your bait packed in salt in the freezer for a year works well to dehydrate them too
Once they hit that point you can just leave them rigged and hung from your tower. No birds will touch them and they keep just fine in the sun. They become reconstituted as soon as they hit the water. ;)

Well the anchovy jerky worked today, but it was my buddy’s first time saltwater fishing for salmon and we lost our one good bite that I passed over to him to land. On a more positive note, Those anchovies last forever.

Weather was great. Fished the N Van shoreline, all depths, cut plug, chovie, spoons and hoochies. Didn’t see a single net out, seemed slow. Haven’t had the boat out for a few months so it was more of a test run before Sept 1st to see if anything needed attention. Next trip it’s gonna be sandheads, and fish in the box

I went over to Entrance again Saturday. Deep trolling close to bottom there has been very consistent for chinook. Came back with 2 whites and a red. Windy said it would flatten out in the afternoon which was a dam lie. Managed to stay on plane but it was a jarring return to Vancouver.

Fished West Van yesterday from 9:30 to 2:30. Hooked a fish right in front of the Cap mouth. Pulled off a good amount of line. Unfortunately we lost it. Damn leader broke! I’m usually OCD with my gear but I guess it happens. Fortunately we got another one just before we pulled lines out. My Son fought it perfectly. Ended up being a nice red. Just under the 80cm. As a bonus we got a killer whale show on the way back to boat launch!!! Overall a decent day.

Attachments

• IMG_8316.png
    IMG_8316.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 146
  • IMG_8282.jpeg
    IMG_8282.jpeg
    371.7 KB · Views: 146
Fished West Van yesterday from 9:30 to 2:30. Hooked a fish right in front of the Cap mouth. Pulled off a good amount of line. Unfortunately we lost it. Damn leader broke! I’m usually OCD with my gear but I guess it happens. Fortunately we got another one just before we pulled lines out. My Son fought it perfectly. Ended up being a nice red. Just under the 80cm. As a bonus we got a killer whale show on the way back to boat launch!!! Overall a decent day.
I was in the Lifetimer, glad to hear you got redemption for that lost fish. At least someone out there caught something

Got out for a couple of hours this morning to slide into the West Van opening, 9 - 11 am. Haven’t fished that water much so searched about for the first hour, then got into this 73 cm female.IMG_8772.jpeg

180’ of depth, 50’ on the downrigger on a flash white glow hootchie.

No other action to report and nothing in her stomach.

IMG_8773.jpeg

While trolling tied up teaser heads for next week.

Back