2024 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Will all this rain and cool temps push fish up the Fraser? Got a bad feeling that Sept 1 might be way too late this year.
I don’t think it will be the bonanza it has been in previous years with all this rain but still worth a go. Still a ways out but a good northwestern wind is forecast for Sunday

Fished Thrasher Friday thru Sunday, lots of small springs and wild coho. Managed two hatch coho, an 80cm White spring and a nice ling
My brother just got back from Friday - Monday thrasher trip . They actually did quite well brining back a 4 man limit of springs , with some lost and released . 8 hatch coho and 4 blue lings . They said fishing was a bit patchy for springs , with long periods of drought but steady coho action all weekend . He was fishing springs on the structure in around 180 - 130 , said most productive spring fishing was right off the hook amongst the pinnacles , cuttlefish hoochies . Lings were all on live flounder.

My brother just got back from Friday - Monday thrasher trip . They actually did quite well brining back a 4 man limit of springs , with some lost and released . 8 hatch coho and 4 blue lings . They said fishing was a bit patchy for springs , with long periods of drought but steady coho action all weekend . He was fishing springs on the structure in around 180 - 130 , said most productive spring fishing was right off the hook amongst the pinnacles , cuttlefish hoochies . Lings were all on live flounder.
What's the hook?

I see repeated questions on this topic across a few fishing pages.

For the Sept 1st folks that want to try the North Arm area, this is a Garmin screenshot of their updated chart. The SRKW area outline has been on the Navionics app for years, just not in yellow, however this outline example shows a clearer view of where the Bell, QA, adjacent mile markers, and T10 are in relation to the restricted area.

Garmin SRKW Screenshot 2024-08-27 103036.png

I can see 2 red buoys for the Bell Buoy and Tango 10. Is one of those 2 yellow buoys the QA marker?
Within the SRKW area the only yellow circle is the QA marker. If you have the Navionics app on your phone or tablet (do not need to pay for the update, it still works) you can move the cross hairs over any marker and it will indicate what it is. The app will show your boat (blue dot) location in relation to the restricted area too, which can be helpful if your chart device does not show it.

See the email below from Garmin and the handy webpage to check if your current charts are showing what the newest version does.

Thank you for contacting Garmin Navionics. As noted in your chart earlier you can see the level of detail for any given area from the Gamrin.com
website chart viewer: https://maps.garmin.com/en-US/marine?maps=garmin&overlay=false&key=swcwftnb0wn5

Please use this chart viewer to see the areas of interest & level of details. If you see the details on the garmin page, the current maps updates should contain that mapping.

I see repeated questions on this topic across a few fishing pages.

For the Sept 1st folks that want to try the North Arm area, this is a Garmin screenshot of their updated chart. The SRKW area outline has been on the Navionics app for years, just not in yellow, however this outline example shows a clearer view of where the Bell, QA, adjacent mile markers, and T10 are in relation to the restricted area.

View attachment 109957
I'm disappointed my navionics app with my downloaded Maps no longer works. Says I need to buy a subscription now for 79$ a year. Guess purchasing the app doesn't fly anymore. 80$ a year seems a little steep for something I use a couple weeks a year. Might have to get it though. Handy to have for backup.

Hope those Chinook relax a bit out there before they race up river. Few more days to go. See you on the water!

So am I correct in assuming we are waiting for an announcement for Sandheads September 1st and hoping that is going to be no slot restriction, no killer whale restriction area and retention of two a day? Or has this already been announced?
I have signed up on the app for receiving email announcements from them and haven't been receiving anything.

So am I correct in assuming we are waiting for an announcement for Sandheads September 1st and hoping that is going to be no slot restriction, no killer whale restriction area and retention of two a day? Or has this already been announced?
I have signed up on the app for receiving email announcements from them and haven't been receiving anything.
Notice came out July 12th. As far as the SRKW closed area around Pt. Grey and the north arm, that is well documented.

No announcement. It’s been already announced in the last FN.

Back