2024 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Maybe it's time to try a big Tomic and or (as someone has had success with) a large herring either in a rig or by itself. I have found the chinook on the West Van shoreline don't really show up until closer to the 2nd opening which is August 12th this year for 28-9.
I run almost exclusively herring this time of year in 28-6 and along near Gower

Hey guys.
Finally set to head out for some salmon fishing off Vancouver over the next month and hope to have many reports to share but of course just completely frustrated with what I'm finding on the fisheries app.
My understanding from the reports on here is that West Vancouver and around Bowen Island are the only areas available at the moment yet my app is not even showing that. For 28.6 when I scroll down to the Management areas they are all showing nothing is open for Chinooks or even coho??
What the heck am I missing here?
Could somebody kindly list the sub areas around Vancouver harbor and Bowen that are open and what they are open for would be very much appreciated.
I know this is been beaten to death.
I'm including a screenshot of the 28.6 West Van management screen showing nothing for Chinook or coho.
Screenshot_20240807_162256_FishingBC.jpg

Hey guys.
Finally set to head out for some salmon fishing off Vancouver over the next month and hope to have many reports to share but of course just completely frustrated with what I'm finding on the fisheries app.
My understanding from the reports on here is that West Vancouver and around Bowen Island are the only areas available at the moment yet my app is not even showing that. For 28.6 when I scroll down to the Management areas they are all showing nothing is open for Chinooks or even coho??
What the heck am I missing here?
Could somebody kindly list the sub areas around Vancouver harbor and Bowen that are open and what they are open for would be very much appreciated.
I know this is been beaten to death.
I'm including a screenshot of the 28.6 West Van management screen showing nothing for Chinook or coho.
View attachment 109101

Good to know. I have access to a bunch from the herring sale. Do you run a rig, or a tandem hook set up so they roll naturally?
I use herring sale stuff too. Pick thru the good ones (6-7”) salt em up for 24hrs and use a Rhys Davis herring teaser head. I add a wire to mine to keep the shape perfect for the roll. One single or treble hook just behind the teaser head, and a trailing single hook just behind the tail. They usually hook up on the trailing hook.

Attachments

• IMG_6082.jpeg
    IMG_6082.jpeg
    395 KB · Views: 147
Fished Gower today from 11 to 1:30 looking for springs. Not much to report today. Caught a half dozen shakers and that was it. I was also confused by the Fishing BC app as it states that Area 29 areas off Roger Curtis/Cowan are open retention for springs but the DFO site clearly states that it's not open.Screenshot_20240807_192728_FishingBC.jpg

Fished Gower today from 11 to 1:30 looking for springs. Not much to report today. Caught a half dozen shakers and that was it. I was also confused by the Fishing BC app as it states that Area 29 areas off Roger Curtis/Cowan are open retention for springs but the DFO site clearly states that it's not open.View attachment 109118
It's possible that it's because there is a small portion of it open?

Fished south Bowen from 6-7:30pm. Got a beautiful 10ish pound wild coho that put up a super fun fight. On an Irish cream skinny g and green flasher. 58 feet on the rigger. Few more hits that didn’t stick. Quick test fish after the pod and I’d call it a success for me lol. Beautiful evening and fairly calm seas with some small swell.IMG_6449.jpeg

Slow at Gower to Roberts Creek for us today. Released a chunky unclipped coho from 115’ at Gower around 0800 then very quiet for next two hours. Lost a coho boat-side at Camp Byng. Roberts Creek didn’t have as much bait as it has had last couple weeks. Coho showing around Byng but nothing we could keep. Fished 35’ - 120’.

Got our limit of 4 coho at Thrasher; 1 under Chinook released… no wild coho. Spoon was out-fishing the flash fly; couple coho were deep… 200’ or more on rigger.

What’s our best bet to find the keeper Chinook? Entrance? Shallow or deep on the rigger? Will try for ling first.

Got our limit of 4 coho at Thrasher; 1 under Chinook released… no wild coho. Spoon was out-fishing the flash fly; couple coho were deep… 200’ or more on rigger.

What’s our best bet to find the keeper Chinook? Entrance? Shallow or deep on the rigger? Will try for ling first.
When I cross I generally hit Entrance over Thrasher. Tack the 200-250’ depth outside the reef and start low (200 on rigger) raise it up every pass til you find them. That tack rarely lets me down for chinook.

Went out Tuesday night and had one hit at pt Atkinson which I missed on bait. After seeing nothing at pt Atkinson Thursday am, decided to take a buddy to Entrance on Friday.
We got into chinook straight away on the deep rod and the action was steady most of the morning retained a white and a red spring and water released the rest. Then ran one side shallow with coho gear but no clipped coho on the troll. Headed in shallower and picked up a couple of good lings fairly quickly. Started jigging the mid water and bait balls on the reef and got one hatchery coho. Must have released 10 chinook while jigging.. Haven’t fished over there much in August as we are usually recovering from a central coast trip.
It was a fairly epic day
IMG_0629.jpeg

I was thinking we would run into a wall of wood from the Chilcotin slide but nothing to be seen from false creek to entrance return but clean water.

And no reports off of steveston jetty..?
Surely there must be fish

Back