2024 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

This red area is a SRKW Closure layer on the BC Sportfishing app… is it going to be that big come Sept.1?!View attachment 108840
The App clearly says "Southern Resident Killer Whale Closures'. If they've decided to enlarge the area to include that part of 29-3, fishing is done in Vancouver. That's where most people fish in Sept. Let's hope that's an error because no one has mentioned a change in the SRKW zone that I recall.

Just looked at the bottom of that damn notice and the timestamp for when it got released. 🙃

Fisheries & Oceans Operations Center - FN0757
Sent July 31, 2024 at 1639
This is the critical part. The updated regs came out at 5 AM this morning after they sent out the update you refer to from yesterday afternoon. Strange.

I also read the regs completely multiple times, I agree it does look like 28-3,28-4,28-5 and a slice of 28-2 (north of halkett pt/south line of lions bay RCA) anybody have anything in writing stating otherwise?

Yes, this is what i read, over and over
Nowhere does it cite 28-3,28-4 or 28-5
It eludes to the closer BELOW the halkett pt, lions bay rca line, but if not listed, they would fall under 28 species regulations..

Yes, this is what i read, over and over
Nowhere does it cite 28-3,28-4 or 28-5
It eludes to the closer BELOW the halkett pt, lions bay rca line, but if not listed, they would fall under 28 species regulations..
I just look at the map that is linked lower down the page. Seems to me that 28-6 and uppper Howe Sound is good to go.

Looking at the sportfishing app (point taken though on not trusting the apps), it suggests that 29-3 (ie T10) is open for chinook. Am I wrong? I’m sure that’s not the case otherwise we would all be there. IMG_0059.jpeg

And then the DFO site says no chinook fishing in 29-3 between Aug 1-31. I wonder how they expect everyone to fully understand all this. Quite confusing, but DFO site is the final word.

Attachments

• IMG_0061.jpeg
    IMG_0061.jpeg
    188.3 KB · Views: 17
Is South Bowen still producing o
And then the DFO site says no chinook fishing in 29-3 between Aug 1-31. I wonder how they expect everyone to fully understand all this. Quite confusing, but DFO site is the final word.
Correct! just stick with DFO notices and work on a PhD degree to interpret them to the humans language! It’s always confusing af

Looking at the sportfishing app (point taken though on not trusting the apps), it suggests that 29-3 (ie T10) is open for chinook. Am I wrong? I’m sure that’s not the case otherwise we would all be there. View attachment 108890

You must keep scrolling until you see any "Closed" section in the regulation report that shows up, and then you must read what it says. And now they even type it in red so it stands out for all to see. You stopped when you saw what you liked (you're not alone). Keep scrolling.

Do you know you can narrow it down to a sub area to be even more precise to where you want to fish? You chose Area 29 and the default choice All Sub-Areas, when you could have chosen Sub-Area 29-3 (example only) to be more precise.

Ask a DFO officer. But I know they will not tell you, I have in the past and they can't figure it out either.

Back