2024 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Fished south Bowen yesterday, rods down at 8:00. Started with a Flashfly and glow Hoochie fairly shallow in the 30' range. Picked up a wild coho on each side and a couple other hookups that came unbuttoned. Kinda went dead for a bit and we were fighting through lots of junk in the water. Moved out into 800' and went to a Skinny-G and dropped it down to 61'. Almost right away got a hit and boated a nice big hatchery coho. Ended up with 3 hatch coho on the spoon and the Flashfly finally produced the 4th. keeper at 33'. Back to the boat launch by noon.

Another vote for Bill Haymond’s book.
x3. So much good info in that book. I am also currently working through Maximum Salmon by D.C. Reid. Not as well organized as Bill's book, and covers a broader range of topics as it talks about freshwater and river fishing as well as fly tactics. But still plenty of good stuff related to saltwater trolling.

x3. So much good info in that book. I am also currently working through Maximum Salmon by D.C. Reid. Not as well organized as Bill's book, and covers a broader range of topics as it talks about freshwater and river fishing as well as fly tactics. But still plenty of good stuff related to saltwater trolling.
Bill is a guest on my boat often. The thread about fishing buddies had me thankful to have an experienced guide and author on board.

IMG_1067.jpeg
Currently on vacation in the south of France and just finished my copy of Bill Harmon’s book.
I can’t wait to try all the small fine details I read about upon my return later this week.
This is a book I’ll be reading over and over again.
To anyone just starting out with salmon fishing in the salt, save yourself years of pain and get yourself a copy. The knowledge gained from this book is invaluable. That being said, even the most seasoned fisherman can learn a few things with The Science of Salmon Fishing. I bought mine at Pacific Net & Twine in Steveston.
Thanks Bill, 🎣

Last edited:
Wasn't able to find a notice of chinook opening for 28-6. Seems like they're not going to throw us a bone this year??

Well I just read that whole notice and it looks to me like 28-3, -4, -5, AND 28-6 are open Aug 1 for a slot chinook.
I just read through the 2023 reports starting August 1st and been laughing for the last 10 minutes. Most at a post I put up. I read the notice the same way you do but I’m tired from work and want go fishing tomorrow.

Just looked at the bottom of that damn notice and the timestamp for when it got released. 🙃

Fisheries & Oceans Operations Center - FN0757
Sent July 31, 2024 at 1639

Back