2024 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Hit E bowen this morning, boxed 5 coho. Many other non retention fish to the boat safely gaff released.. until we had a decent spring swimming beside the boat before i could grab the flasher to gaff release.. hooks popped and hit me in the neck, brand new pinched 2/0 gammy burried to the shank, pulled the hook out and started leaking blood bad, thought i mightve hit something important in there, crew members woke up real quick, put a compress on it and cleaned with first aid kit, bleeding stopped and taped it up.
Moral of the story is a day of fishing can turn real south real quick and always protect your eyes not just from UV but also flying hooks!
Off to get a tetanus shot and home to fillet some fish and clean up the gear.
We did put the hoochie that hit me back down, unwashed, and got another 2 hatch coho out of the deal to round off our 5 for the day so the human scent idea is out the window.

I found only clipped fish at south bowen today...thats a PB for me. Usually I release 20 unclipped to get one clipped. Kept being surprised when I swam it up beside the boat and saw no adipose.

Also had an adventure with a crab trap, we tossed a clump of rope in and boated away knowing I had tons of rope for the depth. Came back no trap to be seen...after circling the waypoint a few times we saw the float 5 feet under water...rope had knotted up.....we tried hooking it with the anchor, diving for it and then finally we magyvered the gaff to an oar and were able to hook it.....1 red rock lol.

Last edited:
Just wondering is anyone has been fishing around the mile marker/ Bell area lately?
Have only a short period of time to fish tomorrow so was hoping for something closer then South Bowen

Just wondering is anyone has been fishing around the mile marker/ Bell area lately?
Have only a short period of time to fish tomorrow so was hoping for something closer then South Bowen
Thanks to someone else on this thread who provided great info, we went out there last Wednesday afternoon. Fished for an hour before to an hour after the low slack (~3pm). Our tack was from the bell bouy to the first mile marker. 65’ on the rigger. Green flasher with a lemon lime coho killer was the winner. White hootchie got no love. We landed 2 hatch coho, and let a big wild coho and a chinook go. Lost another two. Great fun for a couple of hours close to home.

Fished between RC and worlcombe yesterday late morning, afternoon. The bite was on sporadically but overall slow. 45-65 on the riggers, few wild ho’s, not many springs, flash fly got the most action.
Tried again after dinner hoping the bite would come on, but never happened, picked up the gear and headed to the bell. Non stop action till the sun went down but again no hatchery love. Was very happy with my new to me searay-ven, packed her with 5 guys and she did mucho bueno.

Fished between RC and worlcombe yesterday late morning, afternoon. The bite was on sporadically but overall slow. 45-65 on the riggers, few wild ho’s, not many springs, flash fly got the most action.
Tried again after dinner hoping the bite would come on, but never happened, picked up the gear and headed to the bell. Non stop action till the sun went down but again no hatchery love. Was very happy with my new to me searay-ven, packed her with 5 guys and she did mucho bueno.
Strr. Is the bell the yellow boey off ubc..?

We hit the water at 8am and did a pass by the bell. It was slow even though we marked lots of fish/bait. Released a wild and a few shakers and headed to Cowan. There were half a dozen boats but not many nets to be seen, so we trolled to RC. Things picked up around noon just west of RC and we boxed three hatch. One hit a spoon on the surface while setting gear, the rest between 40-60’. A non target species that was mid to high twenties broke off a 40lb leader around the rigger while I attempted a gaff release, and took a white flash fly with it. There was a bit of wind chop early, but it laid down and made for a nice day of fishing.

Attachments

• IMG_2229 Copy.jpeg
    IMG_2229 Copy.jpeg
    488.2 KB · Views: 153
We hit the water at 8am and did a pass by the bell. It was slow even though we marked lots of fish/bait. Released a wild and a few shakers and headed to Cowan. There were half a dozen boats but not many nets to be seen, so we trolled to RC. Things picked up around noon just west of RC and we boxed three hatch. One hit a spoon on the surface while setting gear, the rest between 40-60’. A non target species that was mid to high twenties broke off a 40lb leader around the rigger while I attempted a gaff release, and took a white flash fly with it. There was a bit of wind chop early, but it laid down and made for a nice day of fishing.
is that a home made No Bananas flasher? ;-)

Was out at Cowan around the same time frame and did the exact same thing. Trolled up to RC and found the bite sporadic. Managed to get two in the box and released three wilds. Overall it was a nice day on the water after it laid down.

Back