2024 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Buoyweather has been my go to for over 20 years. Worth the money for me

Any luck yesterday?

Re: the dunk tank...how do avoid all the water sloshing out?
No keepers, big wild coho though.

I take the water to the fishing site in a half full standard 5 gallon bucket and don’t fill that (dollar store) low profile blue container until I start trolling. Also, by keeping it at the back of the boat, even with wave action, the back of the boat does not move much vs. say the bow oscillating continuously. My flashers and gear still look like new, it’s a cheap and effective hack.

Thanks. I find the phrasing "until July 14" to be ambiguous.

I've just looked over the Fisheries Notices for Area 29 and I didn't see any exact date/time clarification on there either. I wonder if there will be a new Fisheries Notice posted clarifying when rule changes? Maybe that's wishful thinking...
If you look at past years fishery notices you’ll see, they usually wait until a day or two before to issue the notice. Last year it was on July 13 I believe. This year it’ll probably be Friday afternoon…

Was out this morning. BIG swells and a solid NW wind. Drove around top of Bowen, wound our way through Paisley and popped out just south of Popham. It was sporty. Quite the task to get the riggers down - white hootchie on one side, a 3" homeland lure on the other. We turn southeast to go with the swell and within 3 mins, homeland hit at 33'. Nice Hatch in the box. Back down, and another 5 mins later another hatch hit Homeland, into the box it goes. White hootchie is feeling left out. About 10 mins later as we're drifting (being pushed) between Worlcombe and RC, another hatch hits Homeland and into the box it goes. 3 for 3 on Hatch and all decent size too.

White Hootch gets benched and down goes a coho killer with a lemon lime flasher. We wait a couple more mins and bam, rod with the coho killer goes and in comes another hatch. 4 for 4. Now we're about 30 mins in and we have 4 in the box. Not another boat to be seen and not surprising as it's blowing hard and rolling hard. Often times looked like a wall of water behind the boat. Netting some of these fish was a sport in itself as we're out on the transom/swim deck and reaching over back with net (we're in a 17' Silver Streak). Anyways, just past RC we get our 5th hatch on Homeland - yet to have a wild hit! So 45 mins in and we're almost done. Then we get a hit and lose it about halfway in. And wait a few more mins and get our 6th about half way between RC and Cowan on Homeland - about 70 mins after we first dropped the lines. Lines up and surfed/cruised with the swell to Cowan where there were about 12-14 other boats hiding from the seas.

All fish between 25-45' - all hit hard and pop rigger (except the smallest). The small homeland lure (3") got 5 of the 6 landed fish as well as the hit that we farmed.

If you look at past years fishery notices you’ll see, they usually wait until a day or two before to issue the notice. Last year it was on July 13 I believe. This year it’ll probably be Friday afternoon…

FN0665 just posted. Excerpt for Area 29-1 & 29-2:
00:01 hours July 15 to 23:59 hours August 31, 2024: One (1) Chinook per day with a maximum size limit of 80 cm on marked and unmarked Chinook.

00:01 hours September 1 to 23:59 hours December 31, 2024: Two (2) Chinook per day, no maximum size limit.

Outside of Worlcombe since 06:30. Big swells but only about 5-10 knot breeze. It’s rolly but fishable

1 hyper wild coho and 1 chunky clipped coho so far. Couple other hits haven’t stuck. All action on a flashy hootchie
Did any of yours have you pronounced hooked nose, like a northern coho?

Back