The OFFISHAL Vancouver 2011 Reports Thread

took my first trip over to thrasher monday. after heading to far north ended up calling pippen and getting my bearings and found the rock.
trolled the east side of gabriola with a few other boats. ended up catching an undersized spring and 2 rock cod in four hour fish. came back across and trolled the bell for half hour. didnt even mark a fish there.

Pacific Angler Vancouver Report: Looking back at June and looking forward to July

Looking Back on June and Looking Forward to July

Read the report below or go to the Guide Journal to read this report and past reports

http://www.vancouversalmonfishing.ca/guide-journal

Well June was the “Month of Gabriola” this year as the bulk of our fishing efforts were in this area. The chinook fishing was generally good to excellent with even a few fish hitting the box on the slow days and on the good days we were hooking double digits and limiting out on nice chinook.

Last year by mid June we were doing a good number of charters off W. Vancouver and were having great success for coho and even a few chinook, but this year that has not been the case. Very few coho have been hooked despite a decent amount of fishing pressure off W. Van in anticipation of the great action there last year in mid to late June.

As we move forward to July we will start to see things pick up off W.Van. There are already good numbers of coho, and good size ones at that, in the Capilano River. The river has had good water levels all of June so the fish aren’t slowing down much and stacking on the shoreline for the beach anglers and trollers. Once we get some actual summer weather and the river drops, the fish will start stacking up off W Van. This should be the case fairly soon as we have just started to hear some better reports from boats fishing W. Van and Cap Mouth beach anglers in the last 48 hours. Try to keep your gear in the top 60 feet of the water column with a fast troll (45 degree angle on the rigger cable) and use White UV hootchies with a 28-32 inch leader. Bait and popular spoons like the Glo/Green and Wonderbread with a 6 foot leader also work well.

Things are not done over at Gabriola either. We are still hooking good numbers of chinook off Thrasher Rock and the Grande in 120-200 feet of water with the gear close to the bottom. Other anglers are continuing to find schools of chinook offshore of these areas in 500-1000 feet of water and depths of 90-180 on the riggers. A variety of items are working such as spoons in the 2.5, 3.0, 4.0 sizes as well as hootchies, plugs, and bait. We start to see some juvenile herring show up this time of year so often the smaller spoons right off the bottom will work well. When you are fishing deep the spoons with some glow tend to work really well. Flaming Hans, Glo/Green, Night Rider are some of my favourites.

July is also the time to think about Howe Sound. There will be good fishing for some decent size chinook along Hole in the Wall, Sunset, and Porteau. Productive depths are from 65-165 on the riggers and anchovies or herring behind a flasher is often the most productive setup but some angler also do well on their favourite spoons and hootchies.

As for the July Fraser River Chinook, some recent chinook management actions have just been announced:

Subareas 29-6, 29-7, 29-9 and 29-10, Fraser River Spring (age 5-2) and Summer (age 5-2) Chinook. The in season prediction of Chinook returns to the Fraser River through June 15th is approximately 50,000. Given the uncertainty about the in season estimated return to the Fraser River, the Department plans to implement management actions consistent with zone 2 after July 15, 2011. Specific management actions announced previously to protect Fraser Spring 4-2 chinook (see FN0370) will remain in effect until July 15, 2011 when greater than 70% of the Spring 4-2 Chinook run has entered the Fraser. Effective Saturday, July 16 until Thursday, July 28, in Subareas 29-6, 29-7, 29-9 and 29-10, the daily limit for wild or hatchery marked chinook salmon is two (2) per day with a minimum length of 62 cm and a maximum length of 77 cm. Effective Friday, July 29, 2011 and until 23:59 hours Saturday December 31, 2011, in Subareas 29-6, 29-7, 29-9 and 29-10, the daily limit for wild or hatchery marked chinook salmon is two (2) per day with a minimum length of 62 cm.

Effective Saturday, July 16, 2011 and until Thursday July 28, 2011, in Subareas 29-11 to 29-17 the daily limit for wild or hatchery marked chinook salmon is one (1) per day with a minimum length of 30 cm and a maximum length of 77 cm. Effective Friday, July 29, 2011 and until Wednesday, August 31, 2011, in Subareas 29-11 to 29-17, the daily limit for wild or hatchery marked chinook salmon is four (4) per day only one of which can be greater than 50 cm. Effective Thursday, September 1, 2011 and until Saturday, December 31, 2011, in Subareas 29-11 to 29-17, the daily limit for wild or hatchery marked chinook salmon is four (4) per day only one of which can be greater than 62 cm.

When fishing for these fish off the Bell Buoy, QA, T-10, North Arm & South Arm of the Fraser, it is what we call a “meat show” meaning we are usually fishing flashers and anchovy or herring on all 4 rods. Most of the fish tend to travel fairly shallow and productive depths are from 25 feet down to 90 feet on the riggers. I like to use a flasher with some glow tape on one side and anchovies or herring in glow or glow green teaser heads with a 6 foot leader. This setup tends to produce well in the dirty water often associated with this fishery. I am looking forward to these fish in the weeks to come as they are some of the best tasting salmon there is!

Weekends are booking up rapidly for July but we have some weekday spots open so if you are interested in a charter please give us a call at the shop or stop by to pick up the gear you need for these upcoming fisheries.

See you on the water,

Jason Tonelli

I made the trip out to Thrasher 4 times this past week with not a single salmon to show for it. In the shallower water (90-120') I was getting lots of dogfish. In the deeper water (200-300') not a bite all week. Still seeing bait fish on the sounder and some flopping at the surface but no salmon. I tried herring, anchovy, hoochies, spoons etc. Nothing. Didn't see anyone else land anything either.

Anybody been out there this week with some salmon caught? Starting to wonder if that derby the other week wiped them out to the point of it being a marginal fishing spot.

I made the trip out to Thrasher 4 times this past week with not a single salmon to show for it. In the shallower water (90-120') I was getting lots of dogfish. In the deeper water (200-300') not a bite all week. Still seeing bait fish on the sounder and some flopping at the surface but no salmon. I tried herring, anchovy, hoochies, spoons etc. Nothing. Didn't see anyone else land anything either.

Anybody been out there this week with some salmon caught? Starting to wonder if that derby the other week wiped them out to the point of it being a marginal fishing spot.

We had a boat there yesterday and managed 2 around 20 and lost one. That was in about 6 hours of fishing. Not a bad showing but slower than what it has been. I know another boat from Vancouver had 2 right off the bat but don't know what the final count was. So there are a few fish around you just have to work harder for them now - the way it used to be !! Vancouver should pickup as the weather gets better and the Cap flow slows and allows fish to hold up along the West Van shore line. Howe Sound has produced some decent Chinook but that is the North end of the Sound. Good luck

Hey BigHog, thanks for the report.

Was it an early morning bite or low slack around mid day? I've been fishing the low slack mid day and flood in the evening. I might make one more trip out there tomorrow if the wind is cooperative. Wonder if it's worth it to get up at 5am to try and hit the first bite.

Getting expensive burning all that fuel with no results! :)

Cheers.

I was out locally yesterday for a while with the wife moreso just for a cruise and there was a bit of radio chatter
of a few getting boated around 12-1:00 I think it was, some around the rock and some up around the fingers too
but heard of at least 1/2 dozen or so

I was out locally yesterday for a while with the wife moreso just for a cruise and there was a bit of radio chatter
of a few getting boated around 12-1:00 I think it was, some around the rock and some up around the fingers too
but heard of at least 1/2 dozen or so

Hey gidyup, yeah that's the tide I was targeting and I was out there. Mostly East of the rock and south/south west of it. I guess I'm doing something wrong. If I go again I'm go to experiment a bit with leader lengths and different gear.

Well tell us what your doing and I'm sure we can as a collective help you out

Well tell us what your doing and I'm sure we can as a collective help you out

Thanks you guys, I would really appreciate any advice.

My boat has a single downrigger so I can only run two lines at once. I usually run the bottom line right off the cannon ball about 15' back.

This line is usually a whole 6" herring in a glow teaser head with a single barbless hook under the backbone and through the tail. I have tried 6' leader length and 4' leaders lately. I also use green plastic flashers with one silver/UV side and one white side.

I then stack the second line 30' above the cannon ball and run it 10' behind the boat. This one I either run bait exactly as the bottom one does or green/cop car/white mini squirt hoochies. I have also run some 4" coyote spoons on the top line. The top line I've usually run a 3' leader behind the flasher. Yesterday I tried a silver metal flasher on the top line.

I fish with the bottom line between 100' and 160' depending upon the area. The top line is always 30' shallower.

I use a 15lb cannonball and troll between 2 and 3 mph depending upon the current.

So..what do you guys think? See anything here that looks wrong or could be improved? Thanks again.

Cheers

looks like your ok, the only thing I do different is I stack mine a little closer I'll run 4 rods and usually have 40 feet of separation between all of them.
leaders are between 5-6', green or yellow flashers 3.5" inch spoons or 5ish inch anchovy's, or standard hotchies, green spackleback seems to be the go to one right now
I think now its just a matter of being on the fish at the right time

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi trensetter,

I was at Thrasher yesterday working it pretty hard from 10-3 alone with two rods out. It really wasn't all that active overall and certainly not nearly as active as I am used to like it has been in June and May. I only witnessed 2 fish landed out of several boats but there were a few other hits here and there ( one fish that I saw landed which was BigHog's collegue was 30 feet from me when he hit one about 20 about 1.5 hours before low) While I ended up finally losing one good hit and releasing 2 undersize at the beginning of the flood, for me it was quite a poor day because I came home with nada in the box. While I don't care for excuses I look at it as more of an analizing of why things didn't go as well. If you can figure out possibly why and change it up then it makes you a better fisherman. For me yesterday I decided it is a few things... first of all it was fairly slow so not alot of fish caught. second, I have missed 8 weeks so first time out after my hand tendon surgery/injury. Practice makes perfect so if you are not out there alot you can't expect to be on it as well as if you are out every day . Also after I got back to my moorage I noticed my BB was disconnected and considering my boat ambient is way too high right now (.8v) which is in the repell range ... that could be a reason things weren't as good as I am used to. Had I put my lines out farther from the cable or knew to repair the connection maybe the day would have gone differently.
For you I have a couple ideas for Thrasher. Stack closer and get more lines closer to bottom when fishing the reef. You would have had only one rod close to the bottom the way you describe. Follow the contour to keep same depth then move out and fish next depth contour and so on until you find them. USUALLY the fish on the reef are close to bottom or right friggin on the bottom. While you will get fish up higher but usually your chances improve if you are closer to bottom. Outside off shore of the rock the fish are not associated with the bottom structure and are generally 80-160 in 400- 1000+ . If you are getting dogfish, troll faster or switch to spoons - they often outfish bait anyway at Thrasher ( not so true yesterday though, go figure) Don't generally use big bait at this time of year at Thrasher - Bait there is usually small young of the year right now ( Small bait and spoons/hootchies)
One last thing watch that your top stacked rod ( shallow rod flasher/terminal gear) is not too close to the cable as it needs to go out far enough that it will clear the loop in the line that goes to your deeper gear.

Wow thank you guys so much for the advice. And yes, I totally agree that I need to be out there more often to dial it in. For me the run across out of the North arm costs me about $120 per trip in fuel and bait so I won't be able to get there are much as I'd like.

I'm going to take your advice and try running spoons close to the bottom and stack my lines closer together. I think it's worth noting the only two springs I've caught this year were on the bottom line. Nothing ever on the top line.

So how small is good for the spoons? I have tons of coyote spoons in green/silver, white, pink, speckled green, cop car etc. Most are 4" but some are 5". I'm going to try the smaller ones first and see how that goes for me.

Thanks again guys. I might be able to slip out there tomorrow for a bit and I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers

X2 on ST as stated above about leader length and stacking seperation.

Also you asked about spoon size- put the 4"-5" gypsy/coyote spoons away and bring out the 2 3/4" Gypsy or 3.5" coyote ( these 2 are roughly same physical size) The mini 1.5" gypsy's have also been working. Think small.

I generally run 6ft for bait. 4-5ft for spoons and 3 for hootchies. I will run the bottom line about 30 feet back and top rod 20 ft. up and 20 ft back of rigger line. Im off work for the next week or 2 and plan to fish alot and also in the north arm at skyline marina. I will be heading to thrasher 2moro if buddy can make it. dont want to run across solo. if you see a 20ft grady come by say high and maybe we can share a tip if anything has worked

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent info here , Thanks guys !

Hey remember in just over a week (July 16th) the Banana may be open and then don't forget to give the south arm a good try. Especially SMALLER SPOONS :)

I am hoping to get over the the other side of the pond on tues for some of you spring fishin and will be giving these ideas a run

Thanks again

Make sure you have a tight bullet roll on the bait and check the action on what ever you send down . 32 " leader on the hoochie was working for me over there , but I was getting alot of 10 to 12 pounders so a little longer may get a biggie. Did get a 23 on that length though. Went dead for me the last 2 trips over there. Move around as the fish seem to be in scattered schools , if you hit one way point it and go back. Good to try in tight early and then move off shore . I like to stack my rods 20 ' apart usually put the hoochie on bottom and bait on top and do the reverse on the other rigger. I only let out 12 to 15 feet of line from flasher to the clip. As for speed I just gauge off my cable angle or how the rods look in the holders as gps is speed over land and does not account for current .

I generally run 6ft for bait. 4-5ft for spoons and 3 for hootchies. I will run the bottom line about 30 feet back and top rod 20 ft. up and 20 ft back of rigger line. Im off work for the next week or 2 and plan to fish alot and also in the north arm at skyline marina. I will be heading to thrasher 2moro if buddy can make it. dont want to run across solo. if you see a 20ft grady come by say high and maybe we can share a tip if anything has worked

Hey morganic,

I'm also going to try to get across tomorrow if I can. I'm heading out of Vancouver marina near the river rock. I'll be in an old 17ft Grew with a blue hull. Hope to see you there.

Make sure you have a tight bullet roll on the bait and check the action on what ever you send down . 32 " leader on the hoochie was working for me over there , but I was getting alot of 10 to 12 pounders so a little longer may get a biggie. Did get a 23 on that length though. Went dead for me the last 2 trips over there. Move around as the fish seem to be in scattered schools , if you hit one way point it and go back. Good to try in tight early and then move off shore . I like to stack my rods 20 ' apart usually put the hoochie on bottom and bait on top and do the reverse on the other rigger. I only let out 12 to 15 feet of line from flasher to the clip. As for speed I just gauge off my cable angle or how the rods look in the holders as gps is speed over land and does not account for current .

I'd be happy with a couple 10-12 pounders! Thanks for the tips. I'll let you know how I make out.

Hit Howe Sound for a couple hours yesterday. No action for me, but did hear of one spring caught early in the morning on the high slack.

Back