The OFFISHAL Vancouver 2011 Reports Thread

Hey mudguts I assume thats 18" x 3-4' so that would make a good base, maybe I can just get some scrap pieces then from the plastics shop for the ends and 1 side
where in N/van are you? send me a pm with some corona info

Its at my shop, let me check it out on monday and get back to you.

with the freshit and kelp spawn the van harbour and area is kinda dead... but hole in the wall and farther east along the wall all the way Purteau is producing nice size fish, even if they are whites.

Hey capt,
thanks for the report, is this from first hand (pun intended) knowledge,
and welcome to the site hope to see you out there,
I'm hoping to be on the water early am tomorrow and may give it a shot over there before the change

Just got back from Nanaimo and what a complete waste of time. Fished Port Albernie after the seiners and didn't bother going back since the gillnetters started up. Won't be doing that again, next time we'll plan to go to Banfield or Sooke andavoid all this political stupidity. I was reading where they are saying too many fish in the system will hurt the runs.lol these people are truly retarded.

Fished the QA -bell for a bit on the low, fished West Van, fished howe sound, lots of boats around hole in the wall,
but not a sniff of a fish anywhere, I did have a short lived battle with a gull that thought he might want my chovie man he was on that thing faster then I could drop the ball, but I won!!!
didnt see any nets going up, and radio chatter was quite subdued,
a quick mention of a fish or 2 over on the thrasher side but wow pretty dead everywhere

I did the vancouver troll on saturday(bell and west van) and not a sniff. so much for getting warmed up for the tofino classic havent boated a fish yet
may hit hole in the wall 2 moro or if the winds are down maybe thrasher. got the latest report from predator

Predator's Pen - Saltwater Fishing Report - July 8th, 2011‏
The PREDATOR'S PEN Date: July 8th/2011.

An update of the local saltwater fishing scene for Vancouver To : Saltwater Angler

By: David Korsch (Predator Charters)
E-mail: davek@dccnet.com Web Site: www.predatorcharters.com
Phone: (604) 329 - 8642
http://twitter.com/salmonfishdave

Hello Fellow Anglers

It has been several weeks since my last newsletter. During that time, I've pretty much been fishing the Gabriola Island/Thrasher Rock area on an exclusive basis. There were some extremely good days, some where the action was quite slow, and a whole bunch in the middle where we had to work at it to bring home a couple nice Chinook. In general, it was a slower fishery than we typically find, but I believe that was due to the weather conditions in a large part. For much of the past 6 weeks or so we have had a light southerly flow from our winds. It made it possible to cross the Strait to Gabriola almost every day, but it also served to bring the muddy flood waters of the Fraser River all the way over to Thrasher Rock, and I believe this had a negative impact on the fishery as fish didn't concentrate on the bottom as they typically do. During most years there is a westerly flow to the winds, and this helps push the fish down the Eastern side of Vancouver Island towards the Gabriola/Thrasher area in addition to keeping the Fraser mud away. The Nanaimo area found that they had excellent fishing through June, and I think that is because the fish stopped moving, and held there instead of continuing down to the Thrasher Rock area.

Yesterday and today, we have finally had the first two days in a row with a significant NW wind blowing, and I think we will finally see the mud pushed back from Thrasher Rock, and a push of Chinook move down the Eastern side of Vancouver Island along with this push. Every hot day I've encountered at Thrasher Rock so far this summer has been right after the few small NW winds we have had, and though it is already July, I think there are some more hot days to come during the next three or four weeks (some years the good fishing occurs off Gabriola well into early August). This current strong NW blow is forecast to end tonight, so the next few days could see some excellent fishing off Thrasher Rock and Gabriola, and the forecast of light variable winds for the weekend and into early next week should allow us to get there and fish. Hopefully the light winds will continue, but at least be from the NW now.....bringing nicer weather and keeping the mud away at the same time

Another positive development over the past few days is that some Chinook are starting to get hit off Pt. Grey and further down off the mouth of the Fraser. The very strong freshet running out of the Fraser kept most anglers from targeting this area during June, but a few guys have given it a try during the past week and they been rewarded with some nice fish in the 15 to 25 lb range. The freshet flows out over the surface of the saltwater creating some very tricky trolling conditions at times, but it looks as if this has become a viable option for shorter local fishing trips. In addition, some more Chinook began to enter Howe sound during the past week, so these protected waters have also become an option again for those short local trips. In past years, Hole in the Wall has provided some good action during July, and there should be a large school of Chinook holding the Porteau Cove/Defence Islands/Furry Creek area, as the fish released from the Porteau Cove net pen site sit and mature during the next month. It really isn't until August at the earliest that these fish finally realize there isn't a river at Porteau Cove for them to go spawn in, and they have to go and find an alternative river (the Squamish).

Of course, being an "odd year" it is a Pink year, and the forecast is for 40 million or more to the Fraser system. I already caught one back on June 11th off Thrasher Rock, but in reality it will be around the start of august that we will begin to see large numbers entering Howe Sound destined for the Squamish system. For these fish we don't troll, but cast small jigs and spoons etc... on light casting rods. It is a great fishery for the kids, as it is "hands-on" and active. A great way to introduce them to fishing.

As for Sockeye, we do not know what this year's run will be like yet. There have been two different forecasts I have heard....one with little or no recreational fishery, and another where we could see a strong run with excellent recreational fishing opportunities. I don't think we will hear too much about it in the next couple weeks, but by the last week of July we should have some indication of what will occur.

I've actually got the next few days open, so if you are interested in doing a trip (either a longer Gulf Island trip, or a local one to check out the mouth of the Fraser etc...), feel free to give me a call, text, or e-mail. If the forecast for calm winds starting tomorrow materializes, we could have some very productive days. As of right now, I have openings for the next several days (July 9th through 14th), then another stretch from July 19th though July 24th. By that time we could be starting to see a trickle of Pinks entering Howe Sound, and the last three days I have open in July (27th to 29th) could already be providing us will decent action off the beaches. August will begin to book up solidly in the next few weeks....especially if we have another strong Sockeye run added to the Pinks.

Remember: Gulf Island charters require a longer trip than the minimum 5 hour trip due to the long running time and extra fuel burnt. At least two extra hours (a 7 hour trip) is a good start, and for those looking to target the bottom fish as well, it may be an idea to "make a day" of it. A stop in Sylva Bay for lunch is also a very popular option on these longer trips.

As always, feel free to pass this information along to any associates whom may appreciate the report. I have also "opened up" a Twitter account, and will be posting pictures and results of my fishing trips from out on the water as they occur. If you are interested in "following", my "name" is "salmonfishdave (http://twitter.com/salmonfishdave).

If you have any questions, or wish to book a charter, e-mail me at (davek@dccnet.com), or call me at (604) 329 - 8642.

Tight Lines,
David Korsch
Predator Charters
www.predatorcharters.com
davek@dccnet.com
david.korsch@eastlink.ca

Lots of days fishing for me last week. I fished the bell buoy, QA, West van a few times and thrasher one day. No salmon at all except for a tiny coho that took my 3" coyote spoon at 60 feet of the bell buoy. Was only maybe 2 lbs. I released him at the boat.

I was marking a few schools around the bell buoy at only 30ft down. I tried running gear at 30 and 50 feet but no luck.

I can confirm the reports above; the local waters are full of silt, logs, branches, weeds and other debris from the fraser. Over at thrasher we decided to give up on salmon and get some action bottom fishing. Lots of rock cod and greenling in shallow above the reef (30ft). We kept two rock cod, one each and one nice ling caught in about 70 feet on the downward slope drifting off the reef.

Would have released the two rock cod but they usually don't do well when released from more than 70' depth because of their air bladder.

This was the first ling I've kept since 1993 and man do they taste great as fish an chips. Might take one more ling over the summer but it's still best to release the bigger breeders.

Here are the cod. The ling could've easily swallowed the beer can in front of his face there.

attachment.php

Attachments

• bottom fish.jpg
    bottom fish.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 338
Fished off the Bell Buoy Saturday a.m. and had two hits. Unfortunately, the best battle of the day came when I had to catch and release a very large seagull who grabbed my anchovy on the surface. Talk about slow on the weekend locally!

Fished the bell all in through the mile markers for the low slack on Saturday morning and found nothing more than dirty water and strong currents. Had bait, a spoon fora while and white and green glo hoochies. Crossed over and switched to a fast troll for coho off fisheries and boxed a good one trolling down just past the marshmellow. Hooked it on a green glo teaser and flasher. Did a few circles and then continued on towards the cap for the rest of the flood but had no other hits. Heard of a few good springs taken in howe sound so went there for the late afternoon early evening ,spent a couple hours with no luck, just as we were pulling away a friend lost a good one and by the time I was home at the dock he had a 17 and 15 in the box. Oh WELL , NEXT TIME. He got them on meat at 70 ' . I think howe sound would be best right now for local fishing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fishin at Thrasher

Went over to thrasher yesterday .....nice and flat. Few guys fishin at the rock but didn't mark any feed. saw 1 fish taken. Moved around the corner to the hotel. lots of bait balls. Lost 1 @ 125 ft on green spackle back squirt and landed a 15 on chovie at 174 ft. saw a couple fish landed but very quiet....beer was cold though !!

I fished gabriola monday and tuesday. Monday boated one 10# and released one just under near grande. 162ft on glo green spoon. Tuesday hooked three at 162' right at grande also glogreen spoon. All "let go" by new fishers. Nice conditions both days. Others were catching at 60 - 80 ' anchovy. Not many big fish around. Rain and thunder storm each nite. Rougher water today on way back. Lots of fun though.

Eastpoint

Awesome job cohochinook! Where in the sound were you fishing? What gear did u hit them on? Can't wait to hit the local salt my boats been buggering me lately

nvm just saw that it was chovies. Hole in the wall? Porteau?

Made a quick run from Gibsons to the Defence Islands for yesterday's evening high tide. Didn't get any takers on spoons or hootchies and a quick pass at McNab was no better. South Bowen didn't produce for me a few days back either, so if the weather cooperates, I think I'll be betting my (gas) money on Whalebone or the eastern shoreline of Howe Sound.

any more weekend reports? taking the wife and kid out for awhile tomorrow would love to get them both into something locally
besides lunch!!

Back