The OFFISHAL Vancouver 2011 Reports Thread

I did the troll from the Bell Buoy to out beyond the QA for a couple hours yesterday morning and caught two pacific cod and had one good fish on. I was sufficiently bored that I broke out the sling shot and the bag of marbles that I keep on the boat ... amazing how effective it is at keeping the seals away!

Went to thrasher with a couple buddies on monday to fish the 2 pm low tide. fished the rock up the east side of gabriola and had lots of action yet nothing in the boat. Started with a good hit as we passed over a shelf that did not stick so we circled and went over the same spot again and again a hit with a small fish on. then the reel goes screaming and off the back of the boat mr whiskers pops up with a fish in its mouth. he lets go i start reeling and he hits it again this time coming up with violent head shakes. when he lets go again i reeled in a salmon head. it was small and the fish would not have been a keeper. this 1 was on a small grren chrome spoon at 80ft. We again made a pass this time getting a big hit on a green uv spackle back hootchie. tried nto get it in quick fearing the seal again and it spit the hook on the surface about 20 yards back. After a cluster f#$k of a tang le after turning in a strong current we set up again and decide to troll out to deeper water. again a hit but no stick on a green glow chovie and a positive sign of fish. drop it again to same depth 150ft and bang a fish on. this one was good and went for some good runs. lost this 1 as it ran back to the boat and realized buddy had chucked the kicker in neutral and i couldnt keep up. Slack line = lost fish. So for a guy who fishes van harbour alot where you can troll for hours with not a hit it was a pretty exciting day. in the end 4 no stick hits 2 jacks 1 of which fed the seal and 3 good fish on.
also filled up tank on way out 400$ ouch. will fill up again next trip out and see what the fuel cost for the day. me thinks my 225 yami is a thirsty bugger. im guessing maybe 200 and thats trolling on the kicker all day.
P.S. I,m buying a slingshot and some marbles

Fished the bell bouy last evening had a few hits and released an undersize on chovies at 50 ft.
Got hung up on a crab trap with both riggers whilst changing up the gear(my bad...not paying enough attention)helluva mess but saved both balls and only lost 10 ft of cable and one flasher....good thing it was dead calm. I wonder how many people have injured themselves in that situation. My side cutters will be stationed right beside the riggers in future...no matter how calm.

Fished the bell bouy last evening had a few hits and released an undersize on chovies at 50 ft.
Got hung up on a crab trap with both riggers whilst changing up the gear(my bad...not paying enough attention)helluva mess but saved both balls and only lost 10 ft of cable and one flasher....good thing it was dead calm. I wonder how many people have injured themselves in that situation. My side cutters will be stationed right beside the riggers in future...no matter how calm.

Kristo. I cruised by you just as you were getting undone as we stopped at the bell quickly before heading up river. I have had more than 1 battle with crab traps and lines at the bell. Including the trap i Hooked at 80ft in 120ft of water.

There is Stainless Shot for those wrist rockets that is more effective then marbles. Walmart, Gone Fishin etc. carry them. I hate them Rock Sausages.(thanks rdmc);) eman

Fished the Bell Buoy tonight after work and went 1 for 2, bonked a 14 and lost another 14 that was 1/2 way in the net...considering I was alone I can't complain about my 1st mate ....35 to 50 on the rigger ...chovies

Nice report Kristo, good on ya!
appears like they are moving up the water column a bit hey?
Tim

THANKS KRISTO. I was thinking it was time to pay attention around bell and qa. sure save on the gas bill. got ball tonight and out there 2 moro. did mark some fish their the other night as opposed to week before when it seemed dead. see you out there

Headed out July 6th and fished Pol Pass.

After 20 min in the water the first fight was on , a 17lb red spring at 53' down, I was tracking fish from 30-60'.
I was 3 miles east of the Pass in 900' of water used a anchovie hood (blue) and 6' leader
Fished until 4pm and only one other undersized chin (just) and a knock off that took my hook set up in full.

phpUF1FwsAM.jpg

My buddy in another boat boated a nice chin and coho (he released the coho).

Hey sir-vivor is thats a pretty cool looking cleaning table, is that something you added on or was it an option on the boat,
Thats kind of what I'm looking for how does it attach to the gunnels if you don't mind me asking?
Thanks Tim

Kristo, was that you at the Bell yesterday?

Hey sir-vivor is thats a pretty cool looking cleaning table, is that something you added on or was it an option on the boat,
Thats kind of what I'm looking for how does it attach to the gunnels if you don't mind me asking?
Thanks Tim

Hi Tim

The table is Sani Board which is quite expensive at $200 for a 4x4 sheet but the table is 40"X19"
The mounts are called Magma "Dual Flush Deck Socet , Locking mounts (page 812 of westmarine catalog) they are about $70 for the pair (stainless steel barbecue mounts) , click the below link to westmarines catalog web site. And , last but not least lots of SS Screws #10's x 1 1/4 inch.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...toreNum=10124&subdeptNum=11371&classNum=11406

The mounts are screwed to the table (male side) and the female side is drilled into the Gunnel with a
1 1/8th hole bit.

I was able to get it done in about 15 hours, it great and stores away nicely.

Hope this helps ya

Clint

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Clint,
I will be definately building one, that is a heck of an idea thanks for the info.
now to try and find a part sheet of sani

now to try and find a part sheet of sani

If you have a International Plastics store near you , give them a call.
They get them in 4x8 sheets but you can get them to cut it to order as they sell it by the foot to !

Good Luck !
Clint

Thanks Clint, there is a plastics mfg not far from me I'll check them out

Not a sniff, Kristo, but what a great sunny day. The water is so brown right now. I need to get some blood on my new ride. A cruise over to Thrasher is what I'd like to do.

We have been to Port Albermie and the launch ramp at Nanaimo ferry and I don't know why Vancouver can't have decent launching facilities. Mc Donald beach is ok but not near as good. I'm moving to Nanaimo damn it.

Hey Gidyup, I have a piece thats 18'x3 or 4 feet. Its the 1 inch size. yours if you want it. just leave me a case of Corona.

Back