The OFFISHAL Vancouver 2011 Reports Thread

Hey that top one is my wife

Heading out for a while this weekend, anyone else?
might put some time in around Grace for a change

:DI'm hoping she will

Has anyone heard of any fish caught during the course of the week in the Vancouver Harbour waters (West Van / Point Grey / QA to South Bowen). I am going to head out for a couple hours early tomorrow a.m. for the high slack and don't have the time tomorrow to cross the strait to Thrasher and may yet resort to flipping a coin to pick the location ... any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I will report back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Grace has been pretty reasonable the last couple of weeks with half a dozen boats often fishing from Grace up the east side of Gambier past Gambier Harbour. Fishing was good enough at Thrasher yesterday to release a couple of low teens in the hope of something bigger. Ended up with a 16 and 18 in around 500' close in at the Flat Tops and towards the Grande in 300-400. A few undersize too. Most action was at 140'. If weather permits and you have the choice, I'd go to Thrasher.

Grace has been pretty reasonable the last couple of weeks with half a dozen boats often fishing from Grace up the east side of Gambier past Gambier Harbour. Fishing was good enough at Thrasher yesterday to release a couple of low teens in the hope of something bigger. Ended up with a 16 and 18 in around 500' close in at the Flat Tops and towards the Grande in 300-400. A few undersize too. Most action was at 140'. If weather permits and you have the choice, I'd go to Thrasher.

Thanks for the report mattl,
I'll make up my mind in the am after I see what the weathers going to be,
where are you based out of Mattl? whats your boat?
give me a wave if you see me around white explorer/green tops
always listening on 88
Tim

First trip of the season I fished Thrasher this morning for a few hours. Caught two springs, one 14lbs 6oz that I kept and one about 10lbs that I unhooked and released at the boat.

Both were in 120' downrigger at 100'. Whole herring with green flashers. Nothing all morning then both within 20 minutes right at noon.

Thanks Trendsetter, looks like I'm heading to Thrasher.
weather looks to be a bit wet but no winds to mention till later in the day
Tim

Thanks for the report mattl,
I'll make up my mind in the am after I see what the weathers going to be,
where are you based out of Mattl? whats your boat?
give me a wave if you see me around white explorer/green tops
always listening on 88
Tim

Hey Tim. I'm in an 18' centre console Striper with navy hull. Doesn't look like I'll get out the w/e but will look out for you. Hopefully you made it over to Thrasher. Nice fish trendsetter - the bite really seems to be either on or off over there!

well never made it over, we started that way and after dropping a couple traps out front of west van we marked a bunch of fish on the sounder, so we dropped gear there for an hour or so and nothing couldnt seem to find them again headed out to the QA and the water just looked like crap so spun around and headed for grace, a half dozen boats there but still no action put in a couple hours but my buddy had to leave brfore the afternoon bite, I should have just headed right over but we got side tracked with that early marking, managed a couple pots of keeper crabs for the day

Had a nice day out Fishing between Cowan Point and CRS for a bit late morning after dropping the prawn traps in 315 feet of water past point Pt. Atkinson. We then fished a bit around Point Atkinson and further into the Harbour as it was getting a little more choppy out there. Not a sniff. Pulled the traps and called it a day. Got 10 prawns for our effort. haha

Port Albernie

Going to visit familly in Nanaimo next week and going to take it in the bum and tow the boat over. I've never launched at the ramp in Port Albernie and wondering best ramp and parking over there ? I bet its busy.

Going to visit familly in Nanaimo next week and going to take it in the bum and tow the boat over. I've never launched at the ramp in Port Albernie and wondering best ramp and parking over there ? I bet its busy.

the launch at cluesti is great. there are 4 ramps and even on the derby weekends have had no problem getting in and out well organized. parking is just across the street behind the esso, lots of spots
hope this helps

the launch at cluesti is great. there are 4 ramps and even on the derby weekends have had no problem getting in and out well organized. parking is just across the street behind the esso, lots of spots
hope this helps

Thank you sir, that is great help. I would ask the Island guys but you know how they are.

hey Blackmax

Clutesy marina is the best place to launch, I left my truck there for 21 days before nothing to worry about and the best part is its free !!!! If your goin to run out to Bamfield it takes 1 hour at 40 mph so you can judge with how fast your boat goes.I would try cree island and meares bluff there located on the southwest corner of the broken group good time of year to be there!! Love Bamfield been fishing there 23 years need any help or Questions feel free to ask oh also if you are going to Bamfield do it in the morning before noon because the nimint winds come up the channel religiously every day and it gets very ruff there in the afternoon take this into consideration for the return trip also...

Tight lines
Billydoo

hey Blackmax

Clutesy marina is the best place to launch, I left my truck there for 21 days before nothing to worry about and the best part is its free !!!! If your goin to run out to Bamfield it takes 1 hour at 40 mph so you can judge with how fast your boat goes.I would try cree island and meares bluff there located on the southwest corner of the broken group good time of year to be there!! Love Bamfield been fishing there 23 years need any help or Questions feel free to ask oh also if you are going to Bamfield do it in the morning before noon because the nimint winds come up the channel religiously every day and it gets very ruff there in the afternoon take this into consideration for the return trip also...

Tight lines
Billydoo

Thanks Greenhornet, we have stayed at China Creek a few times and witnessed the rough water.But I figured we would go for sox since there is a 4 fish limit right now. Maybe take a day and go for springs but I have already springs in the freezer.

Thrasher kicked out a few springs per boat today.....and the Vancouver fishers spot is....Thrasher.... That isn't an inexpensive run with gas at $1.58 per litre.

Back