The OFFISHAL Vancouver 2011 Reports Thread

Looks like you guys need to start using ice in Vancouver. Fillets should not fall apart like that.

I noticed that as well but didn't realise why, I would have thought with the cool weather you wouldn't need it. I cut the fish to make sure it bleeds out then throw it in with ice.

I was suprised to see it as well, I caught it at 2pm and it was on the bench at 5:30, will be sure to keep some ice on hand. It was in the insulated floor bin, not cool enough i guess. I did bleed it right after I bonked it though. It was most likely caused by my poor filleting skills.

I was suprised to see it as well, I caught it at 2pm and it was on the bench at 5:30, will be sure to keep some ice on hand. It was in the insulated floor bin, not cool enough i guess. I did bleed it right after I bonked it though. It was most likely caused by my poor filleting skills.

Dude, you bled it way to long too. The red color started to bleed out of the flesh.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Nice catch Morgan.

I will have to wait to bleed it next time, or maybe borrow some red dye from the fish farms to bring the red back. Seriously though, how many pack ice on every trip out? I always do in the summer but not so much in the spring.
Dude, you bled it way to long too. The red color started to bleed out of the flesh.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Nice catch Morgan.

Not me..............even in the summer

I never carry ice even in the summer. However I clean the fish at the dock and then refrigerate over night before filleting. I then cut my fillets into portions and what I am not eating or gifting fresh I vacuum seal and freeze. I find that in the fridge overnight it firms up quite well and that makes it easier to both fillet and vacuum seal without the juices casing mis-seals. Works for me.

H.E.H.

I like the idea of refrigeration before filleting, any other processing tips? I am all ears.

I use my ice for the G & T's, and I get my wife to stare at the fish. Her stare would chill anything.

The fish as shown had entered rigor mortis and should have been left alone for a while until it relaxed.

Looks like I'm off to Thrasher on Sunday to make off with some Island fish. Should be a good day if the weather goes as forcast. Will be trying to get first blood on the new boat. Yippeee! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like I'm off to Thrasher on Sunday to make off with some Island fish. Should be a good day if the weather goes as forcast. Will be trying to get first blood on the new boat. Yippeee! :)

Sure looks like a crapshoot right now,windy from 10-20 knots for the next few days. I wonder how its been locally around Bowen ?

Mild winds all day today. I just looked and it's less than 10 around here.

Sure looks like a crapshoot right now,windy from 10-20 knots for the next few days. I wonder how its been locally around Bowen ?

I'll be out there this weekend as well, and we'll try this side for a bit if she's calm enough we may scoot over too,
havent heard of much other then that 38lber off the south end, but the way things change who knows, its all good.
how's that saying go?
a bad day fishing............ hold it theres no such thing!!!

I will have to wait to bleed it next time, or maybe borrow some red dye from the fish farms to bring the red back. Seriously though, how many pack ice on every trip out? I always do in the summer but not so much in the spring.

I almost always bring ice, even in cold weather.

Anyone out this week? Reports? Where to go this weekend?

Thrasher is still going strong!

I wonder if folks are doing better out deep or hitting the beach?

Back