Long day today, started at 615 with a dad and his 13 yr old son who had never seen a knuckle buster reel before. We finished fishing at 1.

Got a 68cm first thing in the morning. Then lost one and it went dead and nothing on the sonar or biting in 80 to 100 ft of water for 2.5 hours. After 2.5 hours we moved out to deeper water to avoid the massive tide line of weeds and boats. Got into 140 ft of water and noticed fish showing at 110 ft. Dropped the gear and got a double header and long line lost one and lost the other at the boat. Did another pass and hooked up and lost it at the boat. Then we got 2 X 78cm and we were done.

One of the springs was clipped so the head went into the Esq box. I talked with a few fisherman and it was slow for most with nothing in the boat. Esq Anglers were pulling the heads out of the box and there only a couple so not many clipped fish heads being caught and put in the box.

Pulled the crab traps and got 9 keepers and some nice size hard crabs.

The fish today were out deeper in 140 ft of water, caught on bait in glow heads and on 110 ft on the DR. No one out fishing deeper and I guess the 40 boats fishing the green can line scared the fish deeper?

Attachments

• Sept 1 crab size..jpg
    Sept 1 crab size..jpg
    415.2 KB · Views: 74
  • Sept 1, 9 crabs.jpg
    Sept 1, 9 crabs.jpg
    606.6 KB · Views: 82
  • Sept 1, 78,78, 68 coho.jpg
    Sept 1, 78,78, 68 coho.jpg
    712.5 KB · Views: 80
  • Sept 1 salmon and crabs.jpg
    Sept 1 salmon and crabs.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 85
Long day today, started at 615 with a dad and his 13 yr old son who had never seen a knuckle buster reel before. We finished fishing at 1.

Got a 68cm first thing in the morning. Then lost one and it went dead and nothing on the sonar or biting in 80 to 100 ft of water for 2.5 hours. After 2.5 hours we moved out to deeper water to avoid the massive tide line of weeds and boats. Got into 140 ft of water and noticed fish showing at 110 ft. Dropped the gear and got a double header and long line lost one and lost the other at the boat. Did another pass and hooked up and lost it at the boat. Then we got 2 X 78cm and we were done.

One of the springs was clipped so the head went into the Esq box. I talked with a few fisherman and it was slow for most with nothing in the boat. Esq Anglers were pulling the heads out of the box and there only a couple so not many clipped fish heads being caught and put in the box.

The fish today were out deeper in 140 ft of water, caught on bait in glow heads and on 110 ft on the DR. No one out fishing deeper and I guess the 40 boats fishing the green can line scared the fish deeper?
The fish don’t always want to get caught in the same spot

Was out Tuesday 6am for first light. Pretty quiet then at 7:30 a pod of Orcas were in shallow off Mcaulay point and looked like they made a kill. This is the 3rd time in a row I’ve had the pleasure of seeing these impressive beasts making the fishing go quiet. About 8:30 we got our first bite and a 70 cm spring was in the tub. Not the 88& 90 cm from a few weeks back sadly. A 2nd hit at 9:30 produced another slot size scrappy white for my pal that lost a big one last week making him feel much better. Slowed down and around 2pm out front of the Harbour we some how caught a clipped coho. One more good hit that didn’t want to play with us and that was it by 4pm. Crab trap was ok but lots of just under size & a few keepers. The bite times are quick and far between so you need to stay to make it pay.

Attachments

• 0FD73325-90DB-43C0-A3C0-3E31C51DFAA0.jpeg
    0FD73325-90DB-43C0-A3C0-3E31C51DFAA0.jpeg
    486.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 4147FD99-CDA6-4112-95B3-BE8E0E59A875.jpeg
    4147FD99-CDA6-4112-95B3-BE8E0E59A875.jpeg
    347 KB · Views: 55
I was out that morning also, the whales had zero effect on the fishing. Within 10 mins of the whales arriving we got a 92cm spring, then got 4 coho, 2 of which where hatchery marked. The idea that Orca kill the salmon fishing is a wives tale. Between 7:50 and 8:45 we had 3 fish in the tub and 2 wilds released. Still not understanding why people think they need to fish in a pack to catch fish. Troll outside the box and you will catch more fish. Today we kept one 10lb spring and released 2 nice wild Coho.

Still not understanding why people think they need to fish in a pack to catch fish. Troll outside the box and you will catch more fish. Today we kept one 10lb spring and released 2 nice wild Coho.
Agreed, most of my fish have come when I cross behind the pack. Following contours has only been mildly productive.
Rowing, I am very aware of the different speeds folks are trolling at, especially now that both Springs and Coho are being targeted. It's entertaining at a distance, but I don't like getting caught up in the chaos.

Agreed, most of my fish have come when I cross behind the pack. Following contours has only been mildly productive.
Rowing, I am very aware of the different speeds folks are trolling at, especially now that both Springs and Coho are being targeted. It's entertaining at a distance, but I don't like getting caught up in the chaos.
Nope, far too much engine and sonar noise when in the pack.

Nice work with the crab! I'm only getting under sized. Are you putting your traps super deep or something?

Have to post the good trips and the bad. first time out since Sept 1st.

Got out fishing today at 630 and there were 12 boats out fishing. On our trip in at 10 there were 15 boats.
We fished 630 to 10 with not a spring bite and nothing showing on the sonar. We fished all depths and nothing.
But at the 40 ft depth on the DR in 150+ water, there were schools of Coho here and there and we hooked into 4 but all wild.

Pulled the two crab traps and got 5 keeper and today there were females in the trap where as there as been no female for the last 10 day.
I guess the males are moving on.

I started out at the waterfront, leaving the dock at 7 AM, I spent about an hour out front and out at Brochie before I decided to pack it in and head out to Constance bank.

Fishing solo, I got set up at the wall, and within two minutes, I had a doubleheader of coho, landed the first one. I went to retrieve the second rod and the fish was gone, within about an hour, I had probably six or seven fish on, the second fish that I landed was also a hatchery so my two hatchery coho I was literally done in 10 minutes, now I was searching for the spring salmon to take over. But they never arrived . Hung out until about 12:30 before I darted off to the Mud hole to drift for some halibut.

No love from the mud hole, and I packed it in about 2:45, while I was halibut fishing I decided to filet the coho. Arrived back at the dock and wouldn’t you know it……..3 DFO officers waiting at the dock. Asked how I was doing, said I was doing great…….but I did a boo-boo. I explained I caught a couple of hatchery coho and while I was halibut fishing I filleted them up. And then I got the look! I said I have pictures to verify that they are coho, and that the fins are missing. He took a look, asked for my license, we had a brief (ok a bit more than brief) discussion……….and let me off with a warning.

Great day out at Constance, saw two humpbacks, 3 dolphins and the a pod of killer whales wandered on through as well.

Attachments

• IMG_3551.jpeg
    IMG_3551.jpeg
    346 KB · Views: 81
I started out at the waterfront, leaving the dock at 7 AM, I spent about an hour out front and out at Brochie before I decided to pack it in and head out to Constance bank.

Fishing solo, I got set up at the wall, and within two minutes, I had a doubleheader of coho, landed the first one. I went to retrieve the second rod and the fish was gone, within about an hour, I had probably six or seven fish on, the second fish that I landed was also a hatchery so my two hatchery coho I was literally done in 10 minutes, now I was searching for the spring salmon to take over. But they never arrived . Hung out until about 12:30 before I darted off to the Mud hole to drift for some halibut.

No love from the mud hole, and I packed it in about 2:45, while I was halibut fishing I decided to filet the coho. Arrived back at the dock and wouldn’t you know it……..3 DFO officers waiting at the dock. Asked how I was doing, said I was doing great…….but I did a boo-boo. I explained I caught a couple of hatchery coho and while I was halibut fishing I filleted them up. And then I got the look! I said I have pictures to verify that they are coho, and that the fins are missing. He took a look, asked for my license, we had a brief (ok a bit more than brief) discussion……….and let me off with a warning.

Great day out at Constance, saw two humpbacks, 3 dolphins and the a pod of killer whales wandered on through as well.
Rookie !!!

Started fishing at 615 at Esq and there were 13 boats out. Finished at 920 and there were 34 boats out.
No spring bites and a few springs showing on the sonar but not interested in biting.
Had a few Coho hits out in 150 ft of water and at 50 ft on the DR. got one clipped.
Crabbing in one trap was good and we got 6 big crabs and a couple 7 " the other trap
was gone. I have 10lb zincs in each trap so it is doesn't drift away so who knows what happened.

Attachments

• Sept 7 Coho.jpg
    Sept 7 Coho.jpg
    821.5 KB · Views: 48
  • sept 7 crabs.jpg
    sept 7 crabs.jpg
    380.5 KB · Views: 48
  • ASept 7 crab.jpg
    ASept 7 crab.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 48
Left the launch at 6ish, dropped the crab traps off, then went and trolled the pinnacles at Albert Head for about 30 minutes, but there was a ton of junk in the water so I headed out to the mud flats to do some halibut fishing.

Pretty slow tide where I was, so the bait wasn’t presenting itself very well and the odd time my bait was around the weight ball. While I was halibut fishing, I stuck an anchovy on a teaser head with a slip weight and dropped it behind the boat at about 45’. Lo and behold, a clipped coho took it 🤭.

Packed up the halibut gear around 4:00 with only 1 dog on the day. Tried herring, salmon belly, octopus, and mackerel ……NADA

Back at the crab traps off Saxx, 1 trap had 1 small red rock, the other had 1 red rock and 9 females

At least it was a great day on the water

Attachments

• IMG_3568.jpeg
    IMG_3568.jpeg
    367.1 KB · Views: 40
Left the launch at 6ish, dropped the crab traps off, then went and trolled the pinnacles at Albert Head for about 30 minutes, but there was a ton of junk in the water so I headed out to the mud flats to do some halibut fishing.

Pretty slow tide where I was, so the bait wasn’t presenting itself very well and the odd time my bait was around the weight ball. While I was halibut fishing, I stuck an anchovy on a teaser head with a slip weight and dropped it behind the boat at about 45’. Lo and behold, a clipped coho took it 🤭.

Packed up the halibut gear around 4:00 with only 1 dog on the day. Tried herring, salmon belly, octopus, and mackerel ……NADA

Back at the crab traps off Saxx, 1 trap had 1 small red rock, the other had 1 red rock and 9 females

At least it was a great day on the water
Thanks for the report Sam! I talked to you at the launch as you were leaving and I was arriving to do a little evening troll. Myself, the wife and daughter went out to Constance bank to try and find some coho. We were out there for about 2 1/2 hrs and found 1 wild and whole bunch of clipped little shaker coho. Fished between 45 and 75’. It was a nice calm evening to be out!

Out today 2-430 pm . Hooked a crab trap at constance within 5 mins. ..... Nice start yikes....after 1hr. then fished the flats nothing ... Bad day all around .

Been forever since I posted a Victoria Waterfront report, but after a solid 90+ days of guiding I was pleasantly surprised with a solid days fishing out front. Even after 90+ days guiding, I very much enjoy any opportunity I get to fish the water front as that is where I learned how to angle Chinook salmon when I was about 15-16 years old with my grandpa. I was out today with my younger brothers in the derby, while we didn’t land any derby winners, we had a few opportunities at 20+ lb fish and were in the mix untill the very end. We were able to land 5 Chinook as well as a couple wild coho. All Chinook were mature fish, 2 sub 10lbs, three in the low-mid teens.. Empty bellies, 4 red, 1 white. Plenty of bait out there, maybe they’ll stick around a little while longer. Tightlines guys and I thoroughly enjoy reading your reports through the season!

Attachments

• IMG_9996.jpeg
    IMG_9996.jpeg
    479.8 KB · Views: 119
Finally got my boat back after a month in the shop. Did I miss any good fishing in August? :rolleyes: Trolled out off the flats for a couple of hours and saw no sign of life. When the fog lifted went out in the shipping lanes and jigged for a while. A few small lings and two large Cabezons. Lots of bait and birds on the top out there so trolled around a bit more hoping to hit some coho, but no luck. Sure was nice to get out though.

Went out Mon for the afternoon bite 230-630 as I’ve been having some success lately but that changed yesterday with a skunk.
Not even a bite and didn’t see any nets out. Conditions were good,marked bait & fish, just couldn’t make them take any of the many lures tried. 4 crabs from 2 traps so a beautiful day for a boat ride

Back