Got out fishing today at 6am and there were 7 boats out fishing. Had two springs on and lost both at the boat and released 2 Coho..
The bite was from 630 to 8 and then it went dead until 930 when we went to pull the crab traps. 3 small crab and no bait, I think someone had pulled the traps.

Everyone we talked to on the water had had a hit here and there but no fish in the boat.

Fish today were at 65 ft on the DR, bait with glow heads. When we went in at 10 there were 15 boats fishing.

I’m sure you know how it’s goes in this forum. Every time I’ve seen people sharing stories of big fish there’s ten new boats in that spot that the next day (in my experience).

I just lost a 20-25 pound spring from shore at my secret spot between cormorant pt and ten mile pt. …Absolutely gutted.
Do you need someone there to help net it?
😎😁😁

We fished today from 615 to 915 then pulled the traps. At 615 there were 7 boats out and when we went in the were 12 boats out. Everyone we talked with had no springs or bites.

No hits on springs at all depths. Got a couple of small wild Coho and let them go.

Pulled the two crab traps and one had 8 red rock crabs about 3 inch and let them go and re baited and moved it to a new location. The other trap which was about 100 ft away had 7 Dungeness keeper and one 5.5 inch red rock. What a difference in 100 ft.

Got back to the dock and geared up with the Coho rods and hook sets.

Over this past summer I've made a tally of all the chinook salmon landed on our boat, across four four licenses. ( we're not professionals, but we get out when we can) These fish were caught on the oak bay flats, and out of cheanuh marina in sooke. Some fish weights were rounded, but only a couple of tenths.
I use this chart to estimate the weights of fish I release, since I've seen a huge discrepancy in calculated and actual weight, using the two common variations of the weight formula, not to mention i often forget to measure girth when trying to get an oversized fish back to the water ASAP. I've found this to be quite effective, and figured i would share it, as it is the most accurate set of data I've found for this particular area. I also find it is useful since you can compare your fish to abnormally healthy and emaciated/ injured fish respectfully.

Attachments

• Screenshot (404).png
    Screenshot (404).png
    49 KB · Views: 127
Went out to pull the crab trap we put down on Thurs. Got 3 keepers in one trap and re baited and dropped it again.

We then went to Whirl Bay/Church rock area and tried for Coho. In the first five minute got a wild. then it was none stop 6 inch shakers at all depths from 200 ft to 500 ft. Tried using squirts and big bait at all depth on the DR and still shakers.

After two hours of nothing we went back to Pedder bay and we were just past William head when we heard Pan Pan Pan.

A 16 ft boat with engine problems just out side of Pedder Bay can boy. There were around 6 boats in the the area but we radioed back and headed back toward the area. Found a 16 ft boat and the 25 hp engine hanging off the back of the boat totally under water and a rope holding it from going to bottom. The lady was very happy to see us and the boat will probably be for sale now. We hooked a tow line on and started pulling them into PB and then Coast Guard showed up and took over. It was good to see the Coast Guard out of Vic got to the area with-in 25 minutes from the Pan Pan call.

I was shock that there were boats all around them but no one offered help or maybe all their radios were off. When you see a guy holding onto something under water where the engine usually sits and a women waving a paddle it usually means something is wrong.

Went back to the crab trap and had another 4 keepers Karma I guess.

Went out to pull the crab trap we put down on Thurs. Got 3 keepers in one trap and re baited and dropped it again.

We then went to Whirl Bay/Church rock area and tried for Coho. In the first five minute got a wild. then it was none stop 6 inch shakers at all depths from 200 ft to 500 ft. Tried using squirts and big bait at all depth on the DR and still shakers.

After two hours of nothing we went back to Pedder bay and we were just past William head when we heard Pan Pan Pan.

A 16 ft boat with engine problems just out side of Pedder Bay can boy. There were around 6 boats in the the area but we radioed back and headed back toward the area. Found a 16 ft boat and the 25 hp engine hanging off the back of the boat totally under water and a rope holding it from going to bottom. The lady was very happy to see us and the boat will probably be for sale now. We hooked a tow line on and started pulling them into PB and then Coast Guard showed up and took over. It was good to see the Coast Guard out of Vic got to the area with-in 25 minutes from the Pan Pan call.

I was shock that there were boats all around them but no one offered help or maybe all their radios were off. When you see a guy holding onto something under water where the engine usually sits and a women waving a paddle it usually means something is wrong.

Good on you for doing the right thing and turning around to offer assistance. You never know when we will need assistance ourselves but even if it never happens to you, knowing that you did the right thing is payment enough in my books.

And here’s the happy couple being towed in before the CG boat took over. Thank goodness we got there before to boat drifted into Race Passage. We were not the closest boat, but the only one that did respond to the request. Channel 16 works great if you have it turned on!
My 2 cents
Stosh

Attachments

• IMG_6043.jpeg
    IMG_6043.jpeg
    531.7 KB · Views: 134
Only one lost and few missed strikes for me on the flats this pm. Did see a few nets out so there are still some decent springs around.
Jigged up a few bottom fish including a yellow eye. Only the second one I've seen in these parts. Note: a two pound cannon ball won't sink these guys. Had a tough time getting it back down.

Attachments

• IMG_20240915_151242918_HDR (1).jpg
    IMG_20240915_151242918_HDR (1).jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 92
Only one lost and few missed strikes for me on the flats this pm. Did see a few nets out so there are still some decent springs around.
Jigged up a few bottom fish including a yellow eye. Only the second one I've seen in these parts. Note: a two pound cannon ball won't sink these guys. Had a tough time getting it back down.
You need to use our downrigger to send them back. 10 to 15lb ball.

Fished the waterfront this morning. One spring about 7 lb released in 90 minutes. Went to Albert Head. Didn’t even get the third rod down and I had a mid 20’s on from 75 ft. Almost a double header but 55 ft didn’t hook up. Got another about 20 at 75 ft. One came in north of the point and one south of the point in 130 ft of water. Using
6” sardines

Attachments

• IMG_0418.jpeg
    IMG_0418.jpeg
    394.4 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0419.jpeg
    IMG_0419.jpeg
    387.7 KB · Views: 111
I tried but don't have one of those seaquilizer thingies. The upside down hook thing eventually got it down after I rooted out enough weights.
you are required to have a seaquilizer when bottom fishing. Ticket if you don’t have one and get checked

you are required to have a seaquilizer when bottom fishing. Ticket if you don’t have one and get checked
Nope: "Rockfish - Anglers in vessels shall immediately return all rockfish that are not being retained to the water and to a similar depth from which they were caught by use of an inverted weighted barbless hook or other purpose-built descender device." Seaquilizer is just one particular device.

Just like the one given to me by a fisheries officer, and the one I always use as per the law. Mine is/was ready to go as per normal with a 2lb weight. Never before, or had I expected, two pounds not to be enough weight. Don't usually catch big Yelloweye in our parts. Did my best.

Back