Status
Not open for further replies.

eroyd

Nice day to be out on the water but pretty quiet as far as fishing went around the gap. For myself anyways. Crabbing was good. Kept four keepers but threw back a couple of monsters that were a little too soft. They seemed to like Turkey carcass, stuffing and all.

Last edited:
New Years fish today 11:30-3 off Esq. Started slow with some big swells and no action then bite came on at 1:30 and some good fights were had. Tug going by gave his horn a toot as my buddy was reeling one in. The swells went down as the ridge of clouds got closer But ran outa daylight, only a couple crabs from 2 traps.

Attachments

• 18C1ACFC-1EE5-4990-A402-816EAAE7A263.jpeg
    18C1ACFC-1EE5-4990-A402-816EAAE7A263.jpeg
    196.9 KB · Views: 116
1st Jan - Woke up nice and late and lazed around a bit before deciding to go out.

Then me and the kid let my wife sleep in and went out on the boat for a quick run. Got 2 bites and landed 1 in less then an hour. My 6 year old reeled it in and I netted it.

Not a monster (and would have let it go if it was mine) but a good little keeper for this little guy. He was excited that it was big enough to keep and wanted to take it home to show his mom and have it for dinner.

With nothing to prove and having a nice comfy sofa calling me, we picked up crab traps and headed in. Had 2 keeper dungees .

Good way to start the year.

Attachments

• 41B77E93-BF84-4DFA-A812-6A91410839BB.jpeg
    41B77E93-BF84-4DFA-A812-6A91410839BB.jpeg
    176.1 KB · Views: 203
  • 391EB415-9771-484D-85A5-0316C8DA2F5A.jpeg
    391EB415-9771-484D-85A5-0316C8DA2F5A.jpeg
    406.3 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
Nice day to be out on the water but pretty quiet as far as fishing went around the gap. For myself anyways. Crabbing was good. Kept four keepers but threw back a couple of monsters that were a little too soft. They seemed to like Turkey carcass, stuffing and all.
It was pretty quiet for the rest of us as well Ian. 😌

Match the hatch….
this was my buddy’s from off Esq. Caught on 4in herring aid double glo spoon I think it was two fish. I’m not sure what they are so hoping to be informed. TIA.
Herring. The couple of Sooke fish I've caught in the last few weeks were filled with these little guys, too. Toss 'em on a hook and send 'em back down for flounder!

Heard some good reports off the waterfront so I gave it a try today. On the water around noon. Fished from the Flag pole to Clover Pt. Not a lot showing on the sounder bait wise. Brought 6 fish to the boat, 45-65cm and a few other hits. 120 ft of water seemed to be the ticket. 3" Lemon lime AP herring spoon did the best. Fish I bonked had an empty stomach.

Was out off Esq Sunday 9:30-3pm. Had a new guy with us who had been hoping to get out and I was glad to help make it happen. Sure enough at 11 the port rod went off and he had a great scrap with his first winter spring, a nice female hatch around 72cm. Was the biggest of the day. We had 8 good bites and put 3 in the tub. Cop car spoon on 36in leader was on fire the whole day. Had 2 Crab traps down ended up with 4 keepers in the deeper one (100ft) off Sax point. Was a nice day and made a new fishing buddy.

Attachments

• 1F96F413-5CF9-45CF-BB0A-3C1C2CD50B32.jpeg
    1F96F413-5CF9-45CF-BB0A-3C1C2CD50B32.jpeg
    227.9 KB · Views: 133
We gave halibut a try yesterday on the mud hole. The dogfish got well fed, but no halibut hits at all. No signs of herring all day either. Just after we anchored up this carcass drifted past the boat. It appeared to be a seal, with his head cut off, and pieces of fur removed (?) Maybe a killer whale was "playing" with him.IMG_1260 (2).JPG

Last edited:
No signs of herring all day either.
These were about 100 yards off the Royal Bay subdivision. There were dozens of Red-breasted Mergansers feeding.
herringanyone.JPG

Last edited:
Sketchy weather forecasts so I stayed close and fished the Harbour front this morning. Double header first pass of the green marker. 90'. Kept one about 8#. Steady action all morning. Most between 3-5 lbs with a couple a little bigger. Cop Car spoon got the most fish but anchovy got the bigger few. Heard good reports from Clover pt. and the same out by the freighters.

Fishes stomach contained 3" herring and spot prawns.

Different story one day makes. Had my first fish on halfway down on my first drop. A little 4 pounder but encouraging. Slugged it out with many others for a few hours with nothing. Just as the Coho ferry came in things seemed to turn on. Lost a really good fish beside the boat west of Brotchie. A couple more small ones and then one 6'sh, foul hooked while heading back in front of Macaulay. Good scrap.

Nice that the forecast wind stayed off all morning.

I was out there also. Donated a ball to the Brotchie gods. First one in a while. Thanks to the guy in the blue and white glass boat that alerted us to the massive pilot boat wake coming up on our starboard side. That woulda been nasty otherwise.

3 to the boat 4-5# range. Kept a 5 for the table.

I was out there also. Donated a ball to the Brotchie gods. First one in a while. Thanks to the guy in the blue and white glass boat that alerted us to the massive pilot boat wake coming up on our starboard side. That woulda been nasty otherwise.

3 to the boat 4-5# range. Kept a 5 for the table.
I don't get why the Pilot Boat, of all operators wouldn't be a little more careful around other small boats. I thought being responsible for your wake was the law. I was there yesterday and saw you make a run from those braking waves. Same for those jack asses in the all grey RIBs on Saturday flying on the inside of fishing boats out front of Esquimalt. I think sometimes these 'professionals' need a little tap on the shoulder.

I don't get why the Pilot Boat, of all operators wouldn't be a little more careful around other small boats. I thought being responsible for your wake was the law. I was there yesterday and saw you make a run from those braking waves. Same for those jack asses in the all grey RIBs on Saturday flying on the inside of fishing boats out front of Esquimalt. I think sometimes these 'professionals' need a little tap on the shoulder.
You need to complain on VHF 16 or to their office (250) 363-3293 if you want to draw their attention.

You need to complain on VHF 16 or to their office (250) 363-3293 if you want to draw their attention.
I’ve called them before when the pilot boat throttled up at the breakwater alongside my 15’ tin boat - it was all I could do to hold on and not get swamped. They apologized and staid they get a lot of calls regarding the pilot boat running too fast at the harbour mouth. Make the call and don’t let them get away with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back