Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of us who like to try and pull a halibut or two out of the Victoria area, commercial halibut season opens March 10.
"The 2023 commercial Pacific Halibut fishery will be open at 12:00 hours local time, March 10, 2023, until 12:00 hours local time, December 7, 2023."
Competition gets tougher when several hundreds of commercial hooks go in.
Interesting though, I have always had my best luck late March thru April or out Renfrew way in the summer.

For those of us who like to try and pull a halibut or two out of the Victoria area, commercial halibut season opens March 10.
"The 2023 commercial Pacific Halibut fishery will be open at 12:00 hours local time, March 10, 2023, until 12:00 hours local time, December 7, 2023."
Competition gets tougher when several hundreds of commercial hooks go in.
Interesting though, I have always had my best luck late March thru April or out Renfrew way in the summer.
Hopefully they don’t set up off Victoria! - they are a menace and destroy halibut fishing for the recreational guys

Hopefully they don’t set up off Victoria! - they are a menace and destroy halibut fishing for the recreational guys
You can count on it...every year...I am told the owner of Victoria Finest at Sea fresh sea food in James Bay is the big commercial fisher in our area. May be more?? When the dogs move in he takes his hooks out to the West Coast.
someone will correct me if I am wrong.
Several member know him and say he is a great guy.
As I said earlier, my best halibut fishing around Victoria comes later in March and April and the commercial fishery is in full swing so I guess there is enough to go around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha na, got one good one (50#) last time I was out. So many dog fish for this time of year though.
A general location of where you had your success would be nice. Haro, Constance, Mud Hole or west of the Race or other
All I am curious about is if it's West of Race or East We got nothing but dogs on our one and only trip off the Waterfront area.
Thx

Last edited by a moderator:
A general location of where you had your success would be nice. Haro, Constance, Mud Hole or west of the Race or other
All I am curious about is if it's West of Race or East We got nothing but dogs on our one and only trip off the Waterfront area.
Thx
We were east of race rocks. I would agree that it doesn’t get good until March/April. Still worth getting out in Feb though!

Fished the Mud Hole this morning until the wind came up and it got uncomfortable. Was very quiet, not even a dog fish. Lots of boats out so hopefully someone lucked out.

Fished the Mud Hole this morning until the wind came up and it got uncomfortable. Was very quiet, not even a dog fish. Lots of boats out so hopefully someone lucked out.

fished for salmon on OB flats this am. couple of other boats nearby. caught a nice spring but lost it by the side of the boat.

Out off McAuley 10:30 to 2. Really choppy with wind and current in different directions. No luck. Launch at esquimalt was busy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back