2019 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nicely done Don! Staring the new thread off in style!

Out to Constance yesterday - 4 springs to 12 1/2 on Coho Killers - 80 ft on the down rigger in 80ft of water. Surprisingly, no tug of wars with snuffy.
Yesterday?! You’re a soldier for going out in that weather! You deserved your success. Congratulations:)

Around Albert Head near the freighter was still good today. Lots of little springs but there were a few 5-6# mixed in with them. All on the bottom, AP's in 3 and 4" without flasher. Good fun!

Back at Albert head on Sunday.day and it was a gong show of boats! I don't think I've seen so many boats in one spot fishing in January. I saw lots of fish caught, caught several myself and a few were pretty good size (over 6lbs). Anything shiny and glow on the bottom was working

Late reports cause of not much to report. Had a couple of days lately off Esq and one in Pedder Bay. Similar results with a few barely leagals released looking for that one a bit bigger that never came. Both days were beauty afternoons on the water. Looking forward to that fish taking some line off my reel and hoping not to have to wait until Aug.

Finished a meeting a litter early and didn't have another one till 1pm. Suck out for an hour at Victoria waterfront east of clover got into a 5lb spring. Glow green Coho killer. Put the fish in a bucket of ice and left it in the car while went to work. Came home with a fish and wife was like "You got a fish? I thought you went to work today?!?!?" I answered in a deadpan voice and straight face "of course I went to work... I got this on my lunch break.

Has anyone been to the esq anglers launch recently ?

Just curious if it’s all clear of snow and debris? Was thinking of trying to get out tomorrow or Saturday sometime.

Also any reports on how the waterfront / Constance have been lately ? I know the weather has not really cooperated but thought maybe someone has been out ?

Fridays winds look lower than Saturday both coming from the north so sheltered off Vitoria but Constance may be lumpy.
Some fish caught off Albert head between 120-150 ft. Most caught off the bottom. Launch got cleared today. Tks for link Newf.
Give us report back as I'm starting to get withdrawals

Fridays winds look lower than Saturday both coming from the north so sheltered off Vitoria but Constance may be lumpy.
Some fish caught off Albert head between 120-150 ft. Most caught off the bottom. Launch got cleared today. Tks for link Newf.
Give us report back as I'm starting to get withdrawals

It was Irishwolf that provided the link. I've had a few withdrawal symptoms myself and in for a few more I think before I take the boat down over the hill.
1.JPG

You can have a look for yourself on their webcam:

https://esquimaltanglers.ca/webcam.html

:):):)
Thanks

I use this launch a fair bit and never knew they have a cam.

Just had another look at the weather and may have to get as much done around the house and save my day pass to get out on Monday since it’s probably the lightest wind.

I am itching to get out though, the boat has been taunting me every time I walk by it.

Made it out to Constance today, lots of fish around but nothing huge. My buddy and I got into 8-10 fish most about 50cm but managed to bring home 4 in the 7-8lb range.

All but one of the fish we kept had tight near empty stomachs ( a few small shrimp looking things heavily digested ) and the largest fish had a fresh large herring.

Pulled crab pots we had dropped off esq lagoon on the way in and they had a good load of females / just undersized dungeness ( I notced the commercial guys have been working it hard the last few weeks )

Pulled crab pots we had dropped off esq lagoon on the way in and they had a good load of females / just undersized dungeness ( I notced the commercial guys have been working it hard the last few weeks )

They have pretty much destroyed rec. crab fishing in Oak bay

Managed to get out today off Vic waterfront

Headed out to Constance around 9, fished it until 10ish before deciding it was to bumpy (my buddy was puking hard )

Made our way back in and gave my friend some gravol. Fished Saxe to the breakwater until about 130

Got 1 fish at Constance that went back and 2 decent 6-7 lb fish off Macaulay. Lost another good fish off the breakwater, possibly to a seal.

Only saw one other boat out.

I worked the AP herring spoons hard looking for some larger fish but no luck. Old faithful glow flasher / glow squirt was producing .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back