Managed to bring a wild coho to net by the green can on anchovy. :D
This was shortly after someone nearly ran me down. He did end up with a pair of hooks on his gear, I got the rest back. It wasn't even that crowded this morning. :confused::rolleyes:

It was a good morning for fishing and crabbing today with lots of action.

Started fishing at 630 and there were 12 boats out front of Esq angler. We were done by 830 and there were 23 boats out from the break water to DND. Lots of action first thing in the trip and while the tide appeared to be slack and then shifting to a flood.

We kept the first fish (635am) which was 70cm and then released 3 fish at the boat and all the same size at 70cm +-. Then we got a 80 cm white spring and then another 70cm which was bleeding bad so we kept it. The 80cm white was fatter and deeper than the two 70cm and both the smaller fish appeared and smelled like winter springs with small pinhead eggs. The eggs in the bigger fish were ripe and it sure looked pregnant.

Pick up the crab traps and got 8 keeper and let go around 10 smaller crabs and all the crabs were males in both traps.

All the fish were caught at 70 ft on the DR, med anchovies in glow teaser heads. 120 ft to 90 ft of water. No fish bites on XL anchovies today. Needle fish were in the bellies of all the fish.

Attachments

• Aug 29 , 80, 70, 70cm.jpg
    Aug 29 , 80, 70, 70cm.jpg
    524 KB · Views: 31
It's was good yesterday morning
I launched Wed 330 and had a small 50cm spring to the boat and released then off Mcaulay a pin popper that screamed out line on my now fav green and white hootchie but I guess I never got the hook set as it was a long long line release. (I’m thinkin another over) went quiet by 4:30. Was another beauty nite with cruise ship, seals, sea lions, Orcas & dolphins. What a place to live.

Got out fishing with a friend today, so I got to reel in for a change. Got out fishing at 630 and there were already 18 boats out off of Esq Anglers. Got a 72 cm clipped fish as soon as we started. Then released two more fish around 9lb and then got a 78cm at 730 and done. We also let go a couple wild Coho.

The clipped fish head went into the Esq Angler box. Please put your clipped fish head in the box we need the data on where are these fish coming from

We went and pulled the two crab traps and had 12 keeper crab and kept 8 and released the 4 crab.
Louie you better get out and do some crabbing.

All fish were caught at 70 ft on the Dr, and on XL anchovies in glow heads.

When we went in at 830, I counted 42 boats out fishing and most beside the green can to the break water.

Attachments

• Aug 30. 72 and 78cm plus 8 crab..jpg
    Aug 30. 72 and 78cm plus 8 crab..jpg
    342.2 KB · Views: 102
  • Aug 30,,72 and 78cm.jpg
    Aug 30,,72 and 78cm.jpg
    708.5 KB · Views: 107
Got out fishing with a friend today, so I got to reel in for a change. Got out fishing at 630 and there were already 18 boats out off of Esq Anglers. Got a 72 cm clipped fish as soon as we started. Then released two more fish around 9lb and then got a 78cm at 730 and done. We also let go a couple wild Coho.

The clipped fish head went into the Esq Angler box. Please put your clipped fish head in the box we need the data on where are these fish coming from

We went and pulled the two crab traps and had 12 keeper crab and kept 8 and released the 4 crab.

When we went in at 830, I counted 42 boats out fishing and most beside the green can to the break water.

Thanks for the report! That bottom fish sure has a silvery tail! I caught one similar in Sidney a couple weeks ago and couldn’t decide if it was a spring or coho or a mix.

Thanks for the report! That bottom fish sure has a silvery tail! I caught one similar in Sidney a couple weeks ago and couldn’t decide if it was a spring or coho or a mix.
Once we got it close to the boat the fish played like a spring and no coho roll and it took off three times. It's black gum gave it away. I see the odd springs like this every year.
I wish I caught coho that size.

Today I had what I thought was a Spring. Black gums and tongue on the bottom but white gums on the top. It's back was typical of a chinook but the tail did not have any spots. Very silver mid body and under the belly. I had it in the net and it was not clipped. I released it as best I could. Likely 8-9 pounds. After my second look I believe this was a coho First time I have seen a fish like that.

Started at the launch at 5:30am, dropped the crab traps off and started fishing just after 6 ish.

I saw a few fish being caught, but not allot of action. Did the usual laps in front of the Breakwater past Macaulay at different depths. Pretty quiet for me, I had 3 hits today, 1 hit stuck and I was rewarded with a 70cm, 9.6lb hatchery coho. Caught it on the loop coming back towards the breakwater. 77’ on the rigger in 75’ of water. 2 hits at 77’ on bait, nothing on the 66’ spoon, and 1 hit on the mid rod which I fished from 25’-42’. The 3rd hit was at 37’ trolling with bait and no flasher. Off the water about 1ish.

2 keeper crabs

Attachments

• IMG_3524.jpeg
    IMG_3524.jpeg
    526.9 KB · Views: 41
Went out today at about 2pm and fished until about 7:15. Trolled from Saxe to Brotchie and everywhere in between at different depths with different gear including bait. Not a sniff all afternoon/evening.

Went out today at about 2pm and fished until about 7:15. Trolled from Saxe to Brotchie and everywhere in between at different depths with different gear including bait. Not a sniff all afternoon/evening.
Sounds about right. My boat will be fixed next week after a month in the shop. Gear box failure. Thankfully warrantied.

74 cm, 12 lb wild red, @ 70' in 80' in front of Gillingham Islands/Saxe point at 7:35 worth getting up for. Anchovy 5' behind a 7" tomic (used instead of a flasher). Thanks to all the tips on this forum.
20240901_093748.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back