Any reports coming out of Pedder Bay? Thinking I would run out and try between Williams Head and Bentinck. Trying to help out and be one less boat out front.

Got out with two 18 year old's who never fished before. Dropped two crab traps and started fishing at 7. There were 16 boats out and we had action right away and we had 4 on and landed 2 X 74 cm twins and both white spring. Lots of action from 7 to 815 then it went dead and we went back in at 945.

Picked up two guys from AB at 10 and went out again and started fishing at 1015 and not a bite until 1 .They had 5 on and only got two in the boat (77, 78). both fish red this time.
Pulled the crab traps and they were full of males and not one female. ended up with 9 crabs and some nice size hard shell crabs.

Fish caught on bait with glow heads. 65 ft on the DR.

I'm burned out.

Attachments

• Aug 20.   77,78 cm.jpg
    Aug 20. 77,78 cm.jpg
    341.3 KB · Views: 70
Another later start today, met down at the ramp at 11:30.

A bit different from yesterday, we did our big loops around Macaulay and the Green can buoy. Several people were hooking up around us, and we were starting to get a complex! Finally got our first hit at 3:30 where we landed a long running 79 cm red female. About 20-25 minutes later we had our second fish on, and it made a decent run….and then all went quiet. Another long line release. We told ourselves we would pack up at 4:30, and wouldn’t you know it, at 4:30 another hit. I had a jumper of a spring on the line, probably made 4 jumps out of the water, we netted a 74 cm red male. All three hits within an hour, all on bait @73’. Spoons at 66’ and 29’ that were hot yesterday, so were totally useless today.

Attachments

• IMG_2141.jpeg
    IMG_2141.jpeg
    649.8 KB · Views: 69
Got out with two 18 year old's who never fished before. Dropped two crab traps and started fishing at 7. There were 16 boats out and we had action right away and we had 4 on and landed 2 X 74 cm twins and both white spring. Lots of action from 7 to 815 then it went dead and we went back in at 945.

Picked up two guys from AB at 10 and went out again and started fishing at 1015 and not a bite until 1 .They had 5 on and only got two in the boat (77, 78). both fish red this time.
Pulled the crab traps and they were full of males and not one female. ended up with 9 crabs and some nice size hard shell crabs.

Fish caught on bait with glow heads. 65 ft on the DR.

I'm burned out.
Doug
You are working way too hard!
Stosh

Any reports coming out of Pedder Bay? Thinking I would run out and try between Williams Head and Bentinck. Trying to help out and be one less boat out front.
You should just try the afternoon bite! Went out this afternoon at 3 and had 3 in the boat by 4:45!

Another later start today, met down at the ramp at 11:30.

A bit different from yesterday, we did our big loops around Macaulay and the Green can buoy. Several people were hooking up around us, and we were starting to get a complex! Finally got our first hit at 3:30 where we landed a long running 79 cm red female. About 20-25 minutes later we had our second fish on, and it made a decent run….and then all went quiet. Another long line release. We told ourselves we would pack up at 4:30, and wouldn’t you know it, at 4:30 another hit. I had a jumper of a spring on the line, probably made 4 jumps out of the water, we netted a 74 cm red male. All three hits within an hour, all on bait @73’. Spoons at 66’ and 29’ that were hot yesterday, so were totally useless today.
You must be using perfectly brined bait lol !!!!

Started fishing at 615 and there were already 12 boats fishing out front of Esq. Dropped the gear and none stop action on springs and had the first fish (74)) in the boat in 10 minutes and then lost a couple (big big birds net), then a 77cm in the boat. Then a double header and first fish to the boat was 25lb and easy to see it was way to big, so we gaff released it. Got the second fish in and it was 79cm. Done by 715. Look how fast the shortest fish is.

The AB guys were in their late 70s and 83 and they were blown away with fishing so close to the city and catching big fish and crabs.

There are fish everywhere on the sonar so get out there and get a fish before they go past. We also saw others netting fish all around us.

Fish caught on bait with glow teaser heads, xl large anchovies, at 65 ft on the DR. Fish were mainly in 100 to 120 ft of water.

We picked up the two traps we soaked over night and 8 large keepers in one and no keepers in the other trap which was at 64 ft. The crabs have been all in 50 ft of water off of Royal Road beach. No commercial traps to be seen. Best crabbing I have had in years.

Attachments

• Aug 21,  74,77,79.jpg
    Aug 21, 74,77,79.jpg
    713.5 KB · Views: 85
So to answer my question. I left Fleming at about 620. Came around the little break water and heard a buff of air in the morning mist and assumed it was a sea lion. Wrong a junior orca swam right under my 16' eagle. Out about 100m there was the big guy with a back fin about 5' tall. I'm sure everyone out there had a good show. A log boom was off to the left so I took that as a sign (can't be any fish around here) and headed out to Pedder Bay. I threw 2 traps at Albert Head. One on the south side and the other on the north. By the time I was heading out the orca pod ( assume the same one) was now 5 whales and were eye balling the seals on by the old light house. Likely transient whale, the way they were hugging the shore. Every fish within a mile have likely moved on. So I continue to Pedder. There was about 5-6 boats in tight and out in the bay. Guess what....a pod of orcas swims by. I'm thinking they are stoking me. There was a open 12' Aluminum that they buzzed within a few feet. Must have been a little scary for the couple on board. Long story short, I didn't see much action in Pedder and ended up getting a nook just under 80cm in Whirl Bay. The fog out there was thick at time.

Action packed day for guys from TO.
Started at 615 and there were already 17 boats out fishing. When we came in, I counted 40 boats. We saw other with nets out so there must have been a lot of fish going past.
We got a 78cm, then long line lost two. Then got two over size fish and one I could gaff release and the other had to come in the boat to get the hooks out, so I did a measurement and it was 88cm and then let it swim away. Then we got 80cm and 77 and done by 8.

65 ft and 80 ft on the DR, XL anchovies with glow and purple haze teasers in 120 ft of water.

Pulled the traps and got 7 keepers. But this morning there were two commercial boats dropping gear beside us.

All the big fish are starting to lose their chrome color and starting to turn darker. The bottom fish in the photo is the 80 cm and it is darker than the other two. The two fish we let go were also darker in color. The eggs in the 80cm were ripe too.

Attachments

• Aug 22, 80,78,77.jpg
    Aug 22, 80,78,77.jpg
    682.2 KB · Views: 105
  • Aug 22 80, 78, 77 and crabs.jpg
    Aug 22 80, 78, 77 and crabs.jpg
    378.7 KB · Views: 101
Got out Wed aft off Esq with a buddy and things were slow, trying all my go too gear with no luck seen a couple smaller fish caught but we ended up with 1 crab. Thursday was a different game. 5 for 5 on hits. Two overs (my two best fish fights this year) 2 keepers and a 10 lb coho. Green & white hootchie and small herring aid spoon took the overs at 74ft.
I love catchin fish off the waterfront, We gave a cruise ship a great show as well as as our last fish off the breakwater for the onlookers.

Attachments

• 74634C6F-3519-4833-B88A-58B433D77ED3.jpeg
    74634C6F-3519-4833-B88A-58B433D77ED3.jpeg
    113.2 KB · Views: 111
  • CCF729B6-E686-4EBC-97E9-E55CF24F47C2.jpeg
    CCF729B6-E686-4EBC-97E9-E55CF24F47C2.jpeg
    518.3 KB · Views: 110
Got out Wed aft off Esq with a buddy and things were slow, trying all my go too gear with no luck seen a couple smaller fish caught but we ended up with 1 crab. Thursday was a different game. 5 for 5 on hits. Two overs (my two best fish fights this year) 2 keepers and a 10 lb coho. Green & white hootchie and small herring aid spoon took the overs at 74ft.
I love catchin fish off the waterfront, We gave a cruise ship a great show as well as as our last fish off the breakwater for the onlookers.
Yep, Thursday was one of those days fish everywhere. They seem to mostly have disappeared on Friday.

I was Esq Angler this morning for coffee and catch up on the fishing news.
There were three trailers in the parking lot. It was windy (to wind for me) along with heavy rain.
At 815 the rain had died down and one of the boats that went out returned and had two (12lb+-) springs and they lost two. They were only out for an hour.

There still must be a lot of fish around and with this rain and low pressure they will be on the move.

Sunday a late start. 10am. By 1030 the fog rolled in and seems much thicker towards the breakwater. A few close calls by some larger vessels traveling a little fast. The whale watcher were leaving the harbour at a good clip. The Coho horn was the final call and I focused on areas around the green can and west. Hard to say how many fish were caught as visibility was about 100' max. A couple wild coho to the boat is all we caught and gently released. A couple tips over the last two trips out. After you pull the line off the pin let in come up slow. 79cm last week 5 seconds after a good yank and a couple hard reels. Someone yesterday in the fog had a flasher high in a rod holder that could be seen long before the boat. Great idea for all us who have white boats in the fog. Lets hope that another wave of fish come this week.

Fishing on Sunday was really slow for most. Only seen the odd nets out and not many arches in the sounder. I think the rain from last week really moved them. Early morning was flat calm until the fog moved in. Fishing in The fog was an adventure. Not necessary in the best way since you can hear the planes engine roaring, taking off but have no idea if it’s close to you 😩

Chased off by fog Sunday.
Only marked fish at 30' in165' today. Circled back over them twice to no avail. At least I caught a sunrise.
20240826_061824.jpg

Started fishing today at 615 and got the first fish on in the first 15 minute and landed it. 76cm, white spring and it was clipped so the head went into ESQ Angler box. The we got another 7lb spring and let it go to get a bigger one. By 715 the tide flow was flooding fast and things went dead. Also nothing was showing on the sonar. We fished until 930 and from 7i5 to 930 not a bite or a fish on the sonar.

There were 14 boats out fishing at 615 and on our way in at 930 there were 22 boats. Esq parking lot was full of trailers

The fish we got were at 70 ft on the DR, XL bait with glow heads

Attachments

• Aug 26,  76cm.jpg
    Aug 26, 76cm.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 39
Headed out on the water, a bit of a late start, starting fishing about 8:30.

There was about 25 boats out on the waterfront, I saw a few fish being caught and a few nets out, but they were few and far between. I ended up with a total of 3 hits, which none of them stuck. Went to grab the rod, I’d feel 1 tug and then gone. Fished all over, Brochie, Breakwater, and Macaulay. Fished from 25’ to 90’. Couldn’t really get into a good tack due to all the junk in the water.

2 hits on spoon at 66’, I hit on bait at 73’ and nothing on the middle rod which I had a spoons and hoochies from 25’-45’ but no takers.

There’s always tomorrow 🎣🎣

Back