Fished today from 615 to 11. It was a slow day and first hit was at 730, gone, then had one on for 5 minutes and gone. then at 930 got a white spring 76cm and that was it. Not that much bait on the sonar or the surface today and fast flowing ebb tide didn't help.

4 boats in the water at 5 am at Esq Anglers and there were about 24 boats out fishing.

All fish were caught on bait, 65 ft on the DR.

I did note, we have landed two white springs in the last two trips out. Todays fish was long and skinny and the scales hard to remove. Where as all our past caught fish were fat with deep bodies and scales came off easy. must be a different run coming past Vic

I have attached a photo of the USA XXL anchovies and a 8 pack RD anchovy. what a difference and the XXL anchovy can only just fit the Teaser head.
Tough day today - eh. We were lucky the last few
Stosh

I got a 78cm fish at the harbour mouth just after 11:000am. Did not see another net in the 4.5 hrs we fished. It has been quite slow. I think the next 2 weeks it will turn on and be epic. It has been to dry for too long. Fish was full of eggs.

Attachments

• 20240807_110012.jpg
    20240807_110012.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 59
Went out Wednesday for the late shift 3pm-7pm. One bite around 5:30 at 78 ft in 140ft of water off Mcaulay point. Marked lots of fish on bait balls everywhere just couldn’t get them to bite using every trick I could think of.
75 cm male with small needle fish in the belly but he took a Gibbs herring aid spoon. Beauty night.

Attachments

• 55A9AA49-3297-4A2E-BD42-065153757A2C.jpeg
    55A9AA49-3297-4A2E-BD42-065153757A2C.jpeg
    606.6 KB · Views: 67
  • D539D2B9-D0D8-41B4-B2CF-B15D8A781557.jpeg
    D539D2B9-D0D8-41B4-B2CF-B15D8A781557.jpeg
    420.4 KB · Views: 67
I've run these inline cameras quite a bit. Waterwolf and GoFish make one as well. They are all the same idea. Torpedo shape that sit inline on your line. The Waterwolf and GoFish are about 1/2 the size of the Aquaview, but the Aquaview has a lens 2x the size of the the other 2, so even though the Aquaview records at 720p, it looks like its recording at 1080p which only the GoFish can officially do.

Is this the camera you're using?

Is this the camera you're using?

Yes, this is the one.

For interest, below are some comparison screen grabs.

First one is of the the Strike-Vu at 45ft and 65ft. This is a 720p camera. You can see the visible clarity over the other 2 cameras.
Second one is of the WaterWolf and GoFish at 45ft. Waterwolf is 720p. GoFish can be either 720p or 1080p. I thought I was on 1080p but this looks too granule to be 1080p so I'm thinking it's 720. Still poor compared to the Strike Vu given the same resolution. I'll verify the Gofish next time I'm out and report back, but given it's a 400$ camera, I'd stick with the Strike-Vu.

All grabs taken from the waterfront.

AquVu_4565.jpgWW_GF_45_720.jpg

Fished Victoria this morning 615 to 815. Got a 78 in the first 5 minutes and then lost a big fish when it overbite the hook set. Then a 79 and a 76 and done at 815.

Bait fishing, 65 ft on the DR and the bite all happened in the fist 2 hours. The 79cm was a clipped fish and the head went into the Esq box.

Went offshore and tried for Coho but only got small ones.

Crabbing was great and we got 8 crabs in a 4-hour soak. Had to cut the head off of a fish to re bait the trap.

Attachments

• Aug 9 salmon and crab 8..jpg
    Aug 9 salmon and crab 8..jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 71
  • aug 9.  79, 78, 76.jpg
    aug 9. 79, 78, 76.jpg
    777.2 KB · Views: 73
Heading to CORDOVA Bay tomorrow from Crescent Beach for a little beach party. Anyone give me some tips on fishing over that way?? Any good spots between San Juan’s and Cordova that can be recommended? Generally fish this side and southern gulf islands. Thanks for any info. Where not to fish or give a try would be great.

Hit the launch just after 5 AM, and met up with bottom-feeder and his daughter, dropped the traps off at Saxx Point and made our way out front. Noticed there was a bunch of junk in tight at Macaulay so off to the breakwater to avoid the junk for the time being. Did a few passes in front of the breakwater, until we got pushed out of that area due to the kelp bed coming our way. We had to make a big swing away from the kelp and now we find ourselves in front of Brochie (which I seldom fish) it’s now about 7am, I take a quick tour along the ridge, the rod at 50’ with bait goes off. Bottem-feeder reels in a nice 77cm white female. We hang out for a bit more and pack up and head out to the mud hole to try our luck at halibut.

We are set up and fishing by 8 am, we get a few dogs, but not as bad as a few weeks ago. The tide started to turn and the wind is going in the opposite direction, so it’s only a matter of time before the wind becomes stronger than the current and we start heading over our anchor rope. I unhook the anchor rope that is attached to the boat and now we are slowly drifting. I get another dog, then rebait (mackerel) and 5 minutes later, the rod goes off again, but this time it’s a 90 cm Halibut. We wrap things just after 2 and we head back to check our 2 traps. Each trap had 10 females in them, we had 2 keepers in one trap and 2 that were just under by 1/4” in the other.

I won’t even tell you the harpoon story………… I might need to set up a few classes for bottom-feeder and show him how it’s done. Like NOT sending the harpoon through the middle of the fish where all the meat is 🤭🤷‍♂️

Attachments

• IMG_3451.jpeg
    IMG_3451.jpeg
    411.9 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Another good day fishing for us. First fish on before I got the second rod ready, and it was a 78 cm clipped fish. Then another 78 and 76 and done by 815.

Bonus today we got a Ling (32") and not even close to bottom and 5 nice crabs in one trap. The clipped fish head went into the box at ESQ Anglers. I counted 26 boats fishing at the peak and the boats were spread out so no one was running us over.

Yesterday and today, it was people from Colorado (Greeley) and they were blown away with the scenery and catching fish right out of the harbor. They would move here in a second if they could.

10 pack anchovies for bait, 65 ft on the DR.

Fishing break tomorrow and off to the JDF car show.

Attachments

• Aug 10 78,78,76 and Ling.jpg
    Aug 10 78,78,76 and Ling.jpg
    642.5 KB · Views: 61
  • Aug 10 78,78,76 and 32 inch ling.jpg
    Aug 10 78,78,76 and 32 inch ling.jpg
    615.9 KB · Views: 61
Heading to CORDOVA Bay tomorrow from Crescent Beach for a little beach party. Anyone give me some tips on fishing over that way?? Any good spots between San Juan’s and Cordova that can be recommended? Generally fish this side and southern gulf islands. Thanks for any info. Where not to fish or give a try would be great.
Thanks for all the help guys! It’s overwhelming 😂

Sandab before the bumpy seas sent me home.
Later, as I was resetting my gear, the first good size school of fish I've seen this summer went under me at 65' in 100' of water.
Screenshot from 2024-08-11 10-05-04.png

Little lumpy on the flats this morning. Got out there a little late about 7:30. I assume we only caught the tail end of the bite. Within 20 mins. bonked a immature spring of about 9 lbs, released another and then a gorgeous fish guesstimated about 25lbs. Saw other boats with fish on. Then things slowed down, fish and waves, only had one other hit. Tried for bottom fish, lost something big but did manage a yummy 70cm Ling.

Orcas came through the pack of boats. Nobody told them about staying 400m away. No paparazzi so they seemed quite relaxed.

Last edited:
My roommate and I went out this morning from 6-12. We ended up landing a 14 lb chinook on the flats and a 7 lb lingcod closer to the middle island, with one other mid teens chinook that spit the hook. The bite dropped off significantly after 8 am, but it was nice to get some fish in the boat.

Back