Took a leisurely day on the water today with my daughter and mother aboard. Dropped the traps by Esquimalt lagoon at 11 and then trolled from Albert Head to William Head, hitting all the tide lines we could find for a few hours looking for some coho while the traps soaked. Tonnes of small bait jumping close in to Albert Head, but not a bite. Traps were filled with barely unders, first time Ive been skunked for crab in a long time. All had fun on the boat despite the action, and a beautiful day out there today.

Is that a Tom cod or P cod?

I have got them before but never kept them. Curious if it was any good.

I am glad to see some Hali being caught! I am headed out early tomorrow.
Pacific cod. I've had them off Renfrew but now they seem to be moving in the straight.

Oak Bay Flats for the last 2 hours of the morning ebb. 5 on but only 2 brought along side. Biggest ~14 lbs. Lots of bait and bird activity. Wish I'd been out earlier. Herring aid Skinny G off bottom 70-90 ft. Only one other boat. Jigged for Lings at low slack but only caught small ones and several large spiney bastards.

Last edited:
Out this morning out of cattle point. Caught the switch for halibut outside the shipping lanes and sandwiched that between some coho trolling. A few dogfish and a nice wild coho which was quickly gaff released boatside, but not much action otherwise. Coho was near the shipping lanes at 56ft in 200ft of water on a coho killer with Homeland Security flasher, immediately after the only bait we saw in the area came on the sounder. Nothing in the crab traps - which is back-to-back skunks - gonna have to switch things up I guess. The highlight was the killer whale show 9ish am - they were stretched out from Trial to Discovery slapping the water and breaching - pretty wild.

Tried for lings but none of legal size. Several rockfish. The bottom was hard on gear this morning. Spent two hours trolling the flats mid late morning for salmon, only two good strikes neither of which stuck. Pretty slow. Nothing much as far as bait on the sounder and the birds were at rest.

Fished the flats Saturday morning. Pretty slow out there but managed to get a couple nice springs to the boat. One Hatch around 10# and one wild a little bigger. Both easy gaff release beside the boat.
I was trying out an underwater camera attached to the cannonball. Kinda fun!

Attachments

• IMG_1219.jpeg
    IMG_1219.jpeg
    204.9 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_1218.jpeg
    IMG_1218.jpeg
    222.2 KB · Views: 166
I met Charlie White in 1972 while I was working at Rivers Inlet -- he had persuaded the senior DFO biologist to take him fishing and deploy a video camera on the downrigger -- early days of studying the bite behaviour of big springs.

Fished the flats Saturday morning. Pretty slow out there but managed to get a couple nice springs to the boat. One Hatch around 10# and one wild a little bigger. Both easy gaff release beside the boat.
Looks like another fish followed it up in the first picture,pretty common.

I like Charlie White and some of his ideas. Many many years ago when I guided I took Charlie White out fishing. The most productive way to fish the tidal currents in this one section of the rapids where the fishing was good was to use live herring, a heavier mooching weight and a different rod and reel setup to manage the extra weight. He insisted on using his own gear for the whole trip and struggled. When he did catch a fish everyone around had to know about it. Guests sticking with the guide's gear caught more fish.

Very cool. do you mind sharing your ideas how to keep the camera stable and aimed? does it work even down to 200'+, with lower light levels? very curious to try. my gopro hardly gets used.

Very cool. do you mind sharing your ideas how to keep the camera stable and aimed? does it work even down to 200'+, with lower light levels? very curious to try. my gopro hardly gets used.
The one I have is called Aqua-vu strike. It’s an inline camera kind of torpedo shaped.
You can run it off your line with a leader coming off the back to see fish strike but I was just trailing it off my downrigger without a lure attached. It’s only rated for 100’ so I was down at 100 on the DR for a while… it’s pretty dim down there.
Not sure how to set up a GoPro. Maybe they make an attachment.

The one I have is called Aqua-vu strike. It’s an inline camera kind of torpedo shaped.
You can run it off your line with a leader coming off the back to see fish strike but I was just trailing it off my downrigger without a lure attached. It’s only rated for 100’ so I was down at 100 on the DR for a while… it’s pretty dim down there.
Not sure how to set up a GoPro. Maybe they make an attachment.

Attachments

• IMG_1222.jpeg
    IMG_1222.jpeg
    284.6 KB · Views: 80
Back