Out on the anchor at 8:15, packed it up at 1:15 when the wind came up and pushed the boat over the anchor line. Not a sniff, bait was in the same shape as when I began, not even a crab took a chunk out of them.

Two traps, 5 crabs, all undersized

The streak has to end..the boat is 1 for 5, and I’m 0-5. Fack!

Here’s the hali derby results. Tough competition this year! Top 10 fish were over 50lbs! On the hook sat/sun lots of doggies and skates we found a few but no winners.

Attachments

• 7188162D-9E4F-4EF1-8880-19A405B94F84.png
    7188162D-9E4F-4EF1-8880-19A405B94F84.png
    935.6 KB · Views: 161
  • 3A3BD2D6-E2CC-4CAB-8AFA-6A3D70D27588.png
    3A3BD2D6-E2CC-4CAB-8AFA-6A3D70D27588.png
    635.5 KB · Views: 166
No longer on a "Hot Streak"...

Out today on a buddy's boat late morning. I wanted to go early but had to wait for someone to come watch my kid before I could go.
One the way to the boat a friend messaged and said they had gotten 2 and were done. I called them and said I'd come and hook onto their anchor. Raced out there, swap out anchors with my friend but missed the bite.

Sat around in the rain and fog in desperation while bait kept getting stripped by something but not hooking up. Had another nice bbq lunch that demanded a nap. No hali, just a skate and ratfish.... not even a dog. Pulled up when the wind came up only to get tangled.... current was fast and lucky I had electric reels to let out the line a far way and retrive it.

Skunked Friday and Sunday. Time to quit fishing and sell the boat to save my ego 😆 Don't be surprised if you see my boat on marketplace hahaha

Last edited:
Know the feeling. Skunked Sunday off Oak Bay for halibut. Was almost hoping for a dogfish. Flat sea's in the morning was nice and the porpoises kept me entertained. Lots of birds and bait. Did a circuit of the reefs looking for ling. A couple of heavyweights that let go half way up on swim tails. Have to put stingers on those. A barely legal and several smalls and one bucket head cabezon. Nothing kept. Wind came up as forecast.

Last edited:
Here’s the hali derby results. Tough competition this year! Top 10 fish were over 50lbs! On the hook sat/sun lots of doggies and skates we found a few but no winners.
Here's the report from Island Outfitters. I was sad to miss this year. Nice work, that looks tastey.

Jeff Monyard with a 63.8 pound Halibut. In second place with a 59.4 pound catch was Brad Alexander and a close third place went to Don McLarren with a 59.3 pounder. The top three fish were awarded with a cash prize of $7500, $2500, and $1000, respectively. On top of the top three cash prizes, there were also awards for the top ten fish.

There was a total of 105 Halibut weighed in over the weekend, with an average weight of 25.7 pounds. The closest halibut weighed to the average weight was 25.4 pounds. Winning a Simrad Go9 was Eric Rondeau.

As always we have hidden weights, this year the two hidden weights were 43.6 pounds and 27.8 pounds. Brad Alexander weighed in an exact hidden weight at 43.6 pounds and Sean Price was an oz off with his 27.7 pound catch. The prizes for hiddens weights this year were a two night stay at Osprey Cabins in Port Renfrew as well as a two night stay in a Bunkie at Pedder Bay RV Resort and Marina.

To celebrate the 25th anniversary, we had a grand draw prize for a Polar Bear Wall Tent.

got into a chicken on Saturday and then Sunday got onto a nice rockpile and picked away at some doggies then managed to get my dad into the a 59.3 which was good enough for 3rd place! By the looks of the leader board the Hali are eating well this year. Ours was 125.5cm and a thick fish

Ten Mile Point shore fishing report for the month of May. Fished the point 15 times during the month
and only got 4 small rock cod, 1 medium size herring and a few small needle fish........ Not even enough
for 2 small taco's I really miss shore fishing fishing June and July
🌮:(🌮

Back