The one I have is called Aqua-vu strike. It’s an inline camera kind of torpedo shaped.
You can run it off your line with a leader coming off the back to see fish strike but I was just trailing it off my downrigger without a lure attached. It’s only rated for 100’ so I was down at 100 on the DR for a while… it’s pretty dim down there.
Not sure how to set up a GoPro. Maybe they make an attachment.
Very cool. do you mind sharing your ideas how to keep the camera stable and aimed? does it work even down to 200'+, with lower light levels? very curious to try. my gopro hardly gets used.

I've run these inline cameras quite a bit. Waterwolf and GoFish make one as well. They are all the same idea. Torpedo shape that sit inline on your line. The Waterwolf and GoFish are about 1/2 the size of the Aquaview, but the Aquaview has a lens 2x the size of the the other 2, so even though the Aquaview records at 720p, it looks like its recording at 1080p which only the GoFish can officially do.

The Aquaview is by far the easiest to use as everything is just plug and play. Turns on automatically when it hits the water and uses one USB wire to connect to your computer to see the recordings sitting on an internal sim card. Very slick. And its the cheapest of the 3. The other 2 require opening the camera on the water to turn it on and off and they use a separate micro sim card so quite fiddly, but usable. The GoFish does have a green light to allow it to see in the dark, but I haven't tested that feature yet.

As for depth, really depends on the camera quality and the area your fishing. For example the water front water is quite green. Can't see much past 60ft in the sun with the Waterwolf, less when cloudy. I haven't tried the Aquaview or GoFish there yet so can't comment, but I suspect the Aquaview with the larger lens will see deeper. Whereas Oak bay is quite clear. I had the Aquaview down at 90 feet in about 110 feet at the gap and I could easily see the bottom.

The real issue with any of these cameras is you can't run them with a flasher otherwise the flasher is all you will see, which I must say is interesting it's own right. Very interesting to see how the flasher spins at depth. In my experience you have to run them without a flasher or run on the ball like @Redkettle has done. Cool pics btw! I've run a dumby flasher before but I find with my 14ft tinny it's just easier to run the line bare.

If interested, here's some footage from a couple of Augusts ago all recorded using the Waterwolf 1.1 at the water front. Never got out much last year, but hoping to get some content posted this year using the other two cameras.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbCwKzS8G-nBl7GFoFP5Cfw

Happy to answer any questions, just shoot me a PM as to get this thread back on track!

Cheers

Busy morning on the waterfront. Some nets were put to use. Observed at least one oversize released by another boat.

Screenshot from 2024-08-01 10-50-28.png

Small spring or wild coho? :cool: Fellow operating the net released it. :rolleyes:

We fished Victoria water front area this morning, All fish where all caught on bait, 60 to 70 ft on the DR

Got to the esq Anglers at 540am and there were 15 trailers in the parking lot and saw Island Boy getting ready to go out.
Got on the water at 615 with Stosh and a friend. First 10 minutes got a 67cm, then a 79 and then a 80, done by 7am.

Went in and dropped off Stosh and our friend's girl friend and granddaughter came to the boat and out we went again. Got another 66 cm and let it go and then a 79 and a 74 and back to the dock by noon.

Dropped two crab traps and not a crab, not even a small one and bait still in place.??? We dropped them in front of the sewage plant in 40 and 50 ft.

Great day and two trips by noon and everyone fishing got a fish on their license. Bonus today is the granddaughter got the 79 cm and she is heading back to Toronto with salmon.

Attachments

• Aug 1st 79 and 74 cm.jpg
    Aug 1st 79 and 74 cm.jpg
    793 KB · Views: 74
  • Aug 1st 80, 79, 67..jpg
    Aug 1st 80, 79, 67..jpg
    366.2 KB · Views: 75
Started fishing at 615 to 10. Bite was on at 615 to 730 then went dead for 1.5 hrs.
9 bite came back on but small fish which we released and then another large fish which we lost at the boat.
Packed it in at 950, picked up the crab traps and got 4 keepers.

Flat calm on the water, all fish caught on bait (xxl anchovies from the USA) at 60 to 70 ft. There were about 20 boats out fishing.

Attachments

• Aug 2, 79.5 and 78..jpg
    Aug 2, 79.5 and 78..jpg
    788.8 KB · Views: 49
Saturday I fished with Stosh and a friend and started fishing at 615 and the Vic water front area. There were about 20 boats on the water and about 18 trailers in the Esq parking lot.
Lost a good fish at 630, then 15 minutes later released a over size. Then landed a 78, 80 white (clipped) and a 74 winter spring (clipped) and we were done by 815.
Both clipped fish heads went into the box at Esq. By the time we left Esq Angler the parking lot was full of trailers and cars and there was 5 trailer on the street.

All the fish were all caught on XXL anchovies, (7 inch from USA), 60-65 ft on the DR. The fish today like to bite on the fast Ebb tide and while we were trolling with the water flow direction.

This year's fish are every thick, fat, stubby and with deep body's. All three fish today were females where as the fish yesterday we all males.
Look at how deep the bottom fish is in the photo. Probably that is why they like the 7 inch anchovies and have been great fighter with lots of runs.

Attachments

• Aug 3, 80 ,78 74 cm.jpg
    Aug 3, 80 ,78 74 cm.jpg
    740.9 KB · Views: 77
Finally after going crazy at work the last two days I got out off Oak Bay. 15 mins in a 84cm clipped, fortunately an easy release and 30 mins later a 79cm. Tapped. Looney spoon out fished anchovie. Both hatchery marked.
Tried for lings but found one of my favourite spots empty, found some elsewhere but could only get them half way up. Swim tails. There appears to be a certain boat out there everyday pounding bottom fish hard.

Fishing has been good everywhere these last three days. Just talked to some friends in Sooke and fishing has been great for them too. Otter Point seems to be the place. Out front Vic has been great for us so far, you just have to have the right bait and set up.

I'm giving fishing a break tomorrow and heading to the Sidney Car Show. There are over 100 car owners registered as volunteers so there should be a lot of nice cars on display. If you see a 1966 light blue rag mustang owned by D&D stop by and say hi.

Or get out there and catch a fish while you can.

Late post:

Ducked out of work mid Friday and made my way out at about 11am just as the water was coming back in from the low tide. Trolled the breakwater and MaCaulay. We ended up only having one hit at the 2/3 corner of the breakwater, nice fish was on. My friend who had fished before (not with me) didn’t understand about cupping the reel and applied pressure to the reel. I asked him not to, and just as he released the pressure, as you know, the line spooled and it turned into a rats nest and a knot was created. We decided just to reel the fish in and play the odds. We managed to get the fish close to the boat and a netting was attempted, but as we attempted the net, the fish got spooked and ran and spit the hook. I was running 3 rods, and the magic depth on this fish was 66’ with a spoon.

Headed out Saturday with a friend who had never fished for salmon. I dropped the traps off at 5:30 and picked him up at the dock at 6. Did the same tack as the day before, and at 7:30 we had our first fish on, in the gap heading towards the breakwater. Got the fish to about 30’ from the boat where it made another run and spit the hook. 8:00 we were in front of Macaulay and our second fish was on, after a good fight for the rookie, we landed a 79cm, red female. (55’ spoon) trolled until 1:45 with no action. Didn’t see much action on the water after our 8:00 fish.

We headed over and grabbed the traps, about 16 in total, 2 red rock, 90% female and 1 keeper.

Attachments

• IMG_5738.jpeg
    IMG_5738.jpeg
    254.9 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_5732.jpeg
    IMG_5732.jpeg
    534.2 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Late post:

Ducked out of work mid Friday and made my way out at about 11am just as the water was coming back in from the low tide. Trolled the breakwater and MaCaulay. We ended up only having one hit at the 2/3 corner of the breakwater, nice fish was on. My friend who had fished before (not with me) didn’t understand about cupping the reel and applied pressure to the reel. I asked him not to, and just as he released the pressure, as you know, the line spooled and it turned into a rats nest and a knot was created. We decided just to reel the fish in and play the odds. We managed to get the fish close to the boat and a netting was attempted, but as we attempted the net, the fish got spooked and ran and spit the hook. I was running 3 rods, and the magic depth on this fish was 66’ with a spoon.

Headed out Saturday with a friend who had never fished for salmon. I dropped the traps off at 5:30 and picked him up at the dock at 6. Did the same tack as the day before, and at 7:30 we had our first fish on, in the gap heading towards the breakwater. Got the fish to about 30’ from the boat where it made another run and spit the hook. 8:00 we were in front of Macaulay and our second fish was on, after a good fight for the rookie, we landed a 79cm, red female. (55’ spoon) trolled until 1:45 with no action. Didn’t see much action on the water after our 8:00 fish.

We headed over and grabbed the traps, about 16 in total, 2 red rock, 90% female and 1 keeper.
I guess Albertans dont know what a smiley is lol. I'd be all ***** and giggles if that was my 1st salmon

First on the flats this morning. Nothing much for the first hour. 7 ish got an 8# released. Saw a few others on. Then caught a 80cm, 16lb. Clipped.😀. Went in search of a good ling but only got undersize and those spikey things I hate and a halibut. 114cm.
Rough and a little intimidating in the foggy shipping lane, Especially limping home on my kicker. Prop spun out. Ordered a new bushing yesterday.
Seems to be a lot of chinook out there. Lots coming in when the bite is on. While I was out in the shipping lane saw several jumpers. Coho or pinks I guess. May be worth a try.

Attachments

• IMG_20240804_111446012_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240804_111446012_HDR.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Fished today from 615 to 11. It was a slow day and first hit was at 730, gone, then had one on for 5 minutes and gone. then at 930 got a white spring 76cm and that was it. Not that much bait on the sonar or the surface today and fast flowing ebb tide didn't help.

4 boats in the water at 5 am at Esq Anglers and there were about 24 boats out fishing.

All fish were caught on bait, 65 ft on the DR.

I did note, we have landed two white springs in the last two trips out. Todays fish was long and skinny and the scales hard to remove. Where as all our past caught fish were fat with deep bodies and scales came off easy. must be a different run coming past Vic

I have attached a photo of the USA XXL anchovies and a 8 pack RD anchovy. what a difference and the XXL anchovy can only just fit the Teaser head.

Attachments

• aug 5.jpg
    aug 5.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 102
  • anchovies.jpg
    anchovies.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 102
Fished today from 615 to 11. It was a slow day and first hit was at 730, gone, then had one on for 5 minutes and gone. then at 930 got a white spring 76cm and that was it. Not that much bait on the sonar or the surface today and fast flowing ebb tide didn't help.

4 boats in the water at 5 am at Esq Anglers and there were about 24 boats out fishing.

I did note, we have landed two white springs in the last two trips out. Todays fish was long and skinny and the scales hard to remove. Where as all our past caught fish were fat with deep bodies and scales came off easy. must be a different run coming past Vic

I have attached a photo of the USA XXL anchovies and a 8 pack RD anchovy. what a difference and the XXL anchovy can only just fit the Teaser head.
Thanks for the info. Gives this amateur hope. :cool:
I couldn't get out until 10 and was blown off the water by 11. Still managed a few tacks with a large herring and a medium anchovy to no avail.

Look like a Herring or Sardine

The info I had is that is was supposed to windy this am, but it wasn’t so I made my way to the launch. Left the dock about 6am, did the usual tack from Macaulay to Breakwater, and again, and again, and again. No love today. I saw a few fish being caught, and a bit of bait, but not like the last few days. Played around a bit with depths from 25’ - 66’. Off the water just after 1:30, with no action & the wind picking up so it was time to head home.

At the launch, the guy who checks on things, said he was there since 8am, 30 boats came in and only 9 fish

Back