2024 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Sounds like a great day!

I've never heard of different depths for coho....if the wilds were at 90-125 where were the hatcheries? You're talking about downrigger numbers?
Dammit! Sorry… HATCHERY coho seemed to be deeper than the wilds… at 90-125’ on the RIGGER numbers… with a ~45-degree angle on the cables… trolled up to 3 knots.

I did that in 1977 right there in my 1974 14 ft Hourston Glasscraft. But I didn’t have any depth sounder charts radios pfd’s and so on and so on. Today it’s virtually impossible to make that mistake with all the technology. And we wonder why aircraft collide with boaters. Keep a safe lookout. They’re just words if you’re not clued in.

So how was the fishing today? Also a question- Is the colour of the water out around Bowen from an algae bloom? My dn wire was coming up dirty by the end of the day.

So how was the fishing today? Also a question- Is the colour of the water out around Bowen from an algae bloom? My dn wire was coming up dirty by the end of the day.
I fished South Bowen yesterday 1230-330 focusing around Cowan. Bite was pretty hot when we arrived with what I would guess were a 2, 8 and 10 lb Chinook to the boat (released) and a bunch of missed hits. Bite slowed considerably around 2 and there wasn’t much action after that. Only saw one fish bonked in the fleet during the bite, but we did see some ho’s jumping. 60 feet on the rigger was producing best for us, just not the right species. Chinook fishing should be great once it opens though.

I fished South Bowen yesterday 1230-330 focusing around Cowan. Bite was pretty hot when we arrived with what I would guess were a 2, 8 and 10 lb Chinook to the boat (released) and a bunch of missed hits. Bite slowed considerably around 2 and there wasn’t much action after that. Only saw one fish bonked in the fleet during the bite, but we did see some ho’s jumping. 60 feet on the rigger was producing best for us, just not the right species. Chinook fishing should be great once it opens though.
From low slack to flood tide for a few hours has been great there, constant action. The old complaint of not being able to get the gear/bait down to chinook depth without coho taking it has been flipped.

Was off south Bowen yesterday in that beautiful weather. Lots of boats out there.
Slow for me. I put in a few hours and got 1 small spring to the boat, released of course and a couple of hits that didn't stick.

How did other's do?

ya, we headed out from around 11-2pm. started at the hump and then moved to RC and trolled south bowen shoreline. Pretty steady action overall. First coho was a nice clipped one at the hump and then 3 more wilds so moved to RC and got 2 springs and another wild ho. Slowed down for us as we trolled towards Cowans but we had the bbq going with smokies on so didn't bother us too much. 77' on white hoochie was our hot side

Thought I would give things a look. Water is perfect. At Seymour Bay, no action yet. I have the white glow Hoochie at 77 feet as was suggested by another member, we’ll see how we do. Beautiful day.
I gave it a pretty good run of hitting all the usual spots on Bowen, but just one strike, and I saw a young family pull up one small coho next to us, but that was it. Quite a few boats out today, no nets or flashers in the air though. Did well with the crabs when we got back. A set of crab traps can often save the day

Back