2024 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

I realize it’s typical to get windy conditions in late May and early June, but this has been a long stretch of wind and wave action. There was the odd calm, half day here and there, but this consistent weather is a bit frustrating.

Just now:

IMG_0334.jpeg

I realize it’s typical to get windy conditions in late May and early June, but this has been a long stretch of wind and wave action. There was the odd calm, half day here and there, but this consistent weather is a bit frustrating.

Just now:

Is that @jcon12 's app?

Out at Halibut Bank what is the 5.7 value indicating?
The "official" page for the Halibut Bank buoy is showing wave height of 0.67m and period of 3.9sec at 07:00hrs. At 06:00hrs it was 0.76m at 4.0sec.

Is that @jcon12 's app?

Out at Halibut Bank what is the 5.7 value indicating?
The "official" page for the Halibut Bank buoy is showing wave height of 0.67m and period of 3.9sec at 07:00hrs. At 06:00hrs it was 0.76m at 4.0sec.
Dark circles are wave height. Sportyapp uses the full height.

Dark circles are wave height. Sportyapp uses the full height.
Kinda odd that the app reports double what the standard method of wave measurement would be.

I wonder where the data comes from? You posted at 06:30hrs. The Environment Canada Halibut Bank data is posted hourly. At 06:00hrs the wave height was advertised as 0.76m. If you take 0.76m and convert to feet you get 2.49ft. Double that to get the trough to crest measurement that you're saying the app displays that's only 5ft (well, 4.99ft). The app screenshot is displaying 5.7ft.

Anyway, I wish we were reading more reports from fishing...

Kinda odd that the app reports double what the standard method of wave measurement would be.

I wonder where the data comes from? You posted at 06:30hrs. The Environment Canada Halibut Bank data is posted hourly. At 06:00hrs the wave height was advertised as 0.76m. If you take 0.76m and convert to feet you get 2.49ft. Double that to get the trough to crest measurement that you're saying the app displays that's only 5ft (well, 4.99ft). The app screenshot is displaying 5.7ft.

Anyway, I wish we were reading more reports from fishing...

@jcon12 please chime in.

When he discussed on here about making the app, he did say it would use the double height that you do see on some other systems. There were members who agreed that it is a truer version of what is happening.

Regarding the timing, as it is a fluid thing (pun not intended) the wave height could have been for slightly earlier? Just a guess.

HITW yesterday 4pm to 730pm. Hooked 6 landed 4. All springs, smallest 10lb biggest mid teens. 99ft - 180 spoons and hoochies both produced
I too did HITW yesterday morning before the winds chased us off the water. I've been fishing this area constantly this year and have DNA sampled 50+. The fish have been much bigger than years past (doing this for 5 yrs now). But yesterday was worth mentioning. Hooked into a 20 lb (80 mm) that took me on a wild run constantly stripping line. Had to turn the boat around to follow it as it just didn't want to move. So a 20 lb for this area has been a personal best and I'm impressed with what happening in this area. Consistently big fish this year. It's a good sign that there will be some very big fish come the fall. Really looking forward when sampling reports are posted and where this one came from.

I’ll have to check the code tonight.. I know I did some random sampling and as a result had a slightly custom formula to produce the wave height. But also open to feedback if it becomes too aggressive.

I’ll report back this evening.

Weird, I am just converting meters to feet and multiplying by 2 so I am honestly not sure where those values came from. I'll keep an eye on it but it seems to be doing the math correctly at the moment.

Weird, I am just converting meters to feet and multiplying by 2 so I am honestly not sure where those values came from. I'll keep an eye on it but it seems to be doing the math correctly at the moment.
I thought it was accurate. I should’ve took the screenshot that shows the graph when you click on the wave height and posted that as well but it’s too late now.

I too did HITW yesterday morning before the winds chased us off the water. I've been fishing this area constantly this year and have DNA sampled 50+. The fish have been much bigger than years past (doing this for 5 yrs now). But yesterday was worth mentioning. Hooked into a 20 lb (80 mm) that took me on a wild run constantly stripping line. Had to turn the boat around to follow it as it just didn't want to move. So a 20 lb for this area has been a personal best and I'm impressed with what happening in this area. Consistently big fish this year. It's a good sign that there will be some very big fish come the fall. Really looking forward when sampling reports are posted and where this one came from.

Wow, 20lbs. I believe it. My biggest on monday, straightened(ish) my hook, saw it beside the boat looked high teens. Definitely going back to do some more sampling.

Attachments

• 20240610_173526.jpg
    20240610_173526.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 126
Fished for 45 minutes yesterday around 4 pm around the contours of Joe Smith Creek, Chaster Creek outlets looking for some coho.

No coho for me. But some really aggressive chinooks. I was fishing high up in the water column – ~60' in anywhere from 140' to 240' – and trolling fast and still couldn't keep the chinooks off. 3 to the boat in the 12 lbs range and marked lots more deeper that I didn't want to target.

Checking the fishing journal, I didn't find any hatchery coho last year until June 25 so my sense is they're still moving in to local waters.

Back