2024 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

I know you want hatchery coho, but I was out there just before our licenses expired at the end of March and water conditions were the same. Super bright and glow nuclear neon gear was really working well. I don’t know if coho would go for that though.

IMG_9630.jpeg

Same for me.

It’s really flattening out over here at the Fingers now (noon ish)

Fishing 120-130 on the riggers but moving fast. Many coho and 1 chinook. Lost several during double headers
Yah, day flattened out nicely. Ride back east has some chop though. 1 keeper ling, 4 hatchery coho. Released a few nice wild coho and one Chinook, as well as a few small ling. *Someone* cut buddy’s prawn line (and retied) and stole his weight/prawns. 3 crab traps on Vancouver side picked clean; 4th one gone altogether. 🤬

Yah, day flattened out nicely. Ride back east has some chop though. 1 keeper ling, 4 hatchery coho. Released a few nice wild coho and one Chinook, as well as a few small ling. *Someone* cut buddy’s prawn line (and retied) and stole his weight/prawns. 3 crab traps on Vancouver side picked clean; 4th one gone altogether. 🤬
Decent fishing. Too bad about the traps.

I ended up getting one keeper coho. Just west of RC in the trough. On a double, long line release on the other. Released 3 or 4 chinook as well. Really spunky 10 pounders. Trolled South Bowen to end the day. Action seemed to die once we got into the brown water. Should have stayed west. White hootchie and a blue/silver skinny g.

Last edited:
Fished Cowan from 8am-noon. 7 chinooks. 6/7 fish came before 930am then it died down.
When packing it in, I reached over to unclip the line from the downrigger when suddenly something (i presume was a coho) grabbed it and gave us a few acrobatic jumps before spitting the hook. No keepers for us :( and 1 prawn line with 2 traps stolen.. I put 3 lines in the exact same area and 1 was gone. First time this happened to me. Bummer.

It if was cut and retied it probably got tangles up with a commercial trap string. i had them lay over my line and i could not pull it up, went back the next day after they pulled theirs and my line was cut and retied. I dont prawn anymore when the commercial are open.

It if was cut and retied it probably got tangles up with a commercial trap string. i had them lay over my line and i could not pull it up, went back the next day after they pulled theirs and my line was cut and retied. I dont prawn anymore when the commercial are open.
I swear they do it on purpose sometimes. I'm sure I'll get some private messages about that comment lol

Fished Cowan from 8am-noon. 7 chinooks. 6/7 fish came before 930am then it died down.
When packing it in, I reached over to unclip the line from the downrigger when suddenly something (i presume was a coho) grabbed it and gave us a few acrobatic jumps before spitting the hook. No keepers for us :( and 1 prawn line with 2 traps stolen.. I put 3 lines in the exact same area and 1 was gone. First time this happened to me. Bummer.
Great job. I didn’t have as much success. Fished Cowan to RC at the same timeframe but no bites at all. White hootchie at 70ft.

I posted yesterday in my excitement about catching coho over at Nanaimo area (Five Fingers). My day started out off Worlcombe around 08:30. First line in the water was a flashy greenish hootchie and I hooked a coho immediately. Lost it near the boat while getting the net out. Water seemed pretty clear up that way (no Fraser silt). Only stayed for a short while before heading over to Nanaimo.

Out at Southeast Bowen in the sunshine. Don’t let the conditions in the harbor, fool you, it’s beautiful out here. Fishing is a bit slow right now, I’ve done Seymour Bay, now I’m at Cowan point and going to troll to Rodger Curtis and then head across the trough to the hump. There are probably half a dozen boats down at Roger Curtis, and a handful still here at Southeast Bowen. I don’t see any flashers or nets in the air.

PS. r bay

Constant wind warnings and brown water lately. Maybe it will give the coho time to gather

Where is this little area? 29-1? I can’t find anything in the regs about unmarked coho retention in the Sechelt area??
Best to ask the crowd in this thread:

Looks to me like there's more options for coho retention on the inside of Sechelt Inlet. That's quite the trip from Vancouver by boat!

HITW yesterday 4pm to 730pm. Hooked 6 landed 4. All springs, smallest 10lb biggest mid teens. 99ft - 180 spoons and hoochies both produced

Where is this little area? 29-1? I can’t find anything in the regs about unmarked coho retention in the Sechelt area??

FN0457-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - Coho - Areas 11 to 20, 111, and Subareas 29-1 to 29-5 - Coho Management Measures - Effective June 1, 2024

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That portion of Subarea 29-1 in front of Chapman Creek of Davis Bay and Trail Bay, inside a half mile ribbon boundary (1/2 mile offshore), commencing from one half mile true South of the Western boundary of Snickett Park (49 degrees
27.625'N and 123 degrees 45.903'W to one half mile true South of the marker at the entrance to the Port Stalashin Marina (49 degrees 25.875'N and 123 degrees
42.824'W):

Effective 00:01 hours June 1, 2024, until 23:59 hours December 31, 2024, you may retain two (2) Coho per day (hatchery marked or unmarked).

Best to ask the crowd in this thread:

Looks to me like there's more options for coho retention on the inside of Sechelt Inlet. That's quite the trip from Vancouver by boat!
The retention options for the Porpoise Bay area was to target the coho returning to the Native hatchery by the provincial park, which was a really good fishery. The hatchery has been shut down for 5 plus years if memory is correct and there are hardly any coho returning to the area now. At one point in time DFO was going to put 10 or 20K coho into the Inlet annually to replace the lost hatchery production, but I don't know if that ever got going.

Back