2024 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Went out today just for a short trip to Cowans and the same thing for me. Non stop hits by some beautiful chinook but no coho.

Hey guys I’m heading out for the long weekend with my kid for his first salmon fishing trip, was hoping to get him some prawns but not sure where abouts to go for them around Vancouver if anyone could point me in the right direction that would be much appreciated

Hey guys I’m heading out for the long weekend with my kid for his first salmon fishing trip, was hoping to get him some prawns but not sure where abouts to go for them around Vancouver if anyone could point me in the right direction that would be much appreciated
I started prawning with my son last year around Vancouver/Southern Gulf islands. Navionics is your friend. I've had luck 240-320' in relatively sheltered areas so your trap doesn't get pulled around... Seems like the prawns also like the shelter. There are lots of prawns around if you find a good hole. This is the worst time of year for it, as the commercial guys have been hammering everything for the last 2 weeks. Familiarize yourself with the glass sponge reefs, there are quite a few in the sound. Switching to the square Bauer traps increased my catch.

Edit: Familiarize yourself with the glass sponge reefs so you can avoid them.

Last edited:
Well I've never had a day like today.

Fishing South Bowen from Cowan's Point to Roger Curtis and back in the morning. The chinook hits kept coming! I was fishing solo and was kept busy the whole time, including having a double header right at Cowans Point at the start around 07:30hrs made more interesting with the wind blowing me towards shore.

Ended up fishing for around 5hrs with at least 15 chinook to the boat, one hatchery coho, and several coho lost at the surface near the boat. I wish fishing was like this more often!!
awesome
look for ledges 200-300 feet down have your traps weighted so they dont move around square traps i find work the best

I started prawning with my son last year around Vancouver/Southern Gulf islands. Navionics is your friend. I've had luck 240-320' in relatively sheltered areas so your trap doesn't get pulled around... Seems like the prawns also like the shelter. There are lots of prawns around if you find a good hole. This is the worst time of year for it, as the commercial guys have been hammering everything for the last 2 weeks. Familiarize yourself with the glass sponge reefs, there are quite a few in the sound. Switching to the square Bauer traps increased my catch.
That could be taken two ways. If your targeting prawns on sponge reefs you should get off this site and give your head shake.

Out at Southeast Bowen in the sunshine. Don’t let the conditions in the harbor, fool you, it’s beautiful out here. Fishing is a bit slow right now, I’ve done Seymour Bay, now I’m at Cowan point and going to troll to Rodger Curtis and then head across the trough to the hump. There are probably half a dozen boats down at Roger Curtis, and a handful still here at Southeast Bowen. I don’t see any flashers or nets in the air.

PS. Summer is here.

Last edited:
Out at Southeast Bowen in the sunshine. Don’t let the conditions in the harbor, fool you, it’s beautiful out here. Fishing is a bit slow right now, I’ve done Seymour Bay, now I’m at Cowan point and going to troll to Rodger Curtis and then head across the trough to the hump. There are probably half a dozen boats down at Roger Curtis, and a handful still here at Southeast Bowen. I don’t see any flashers or nets in the air.

PS. Summer is here.
lucky guy i was working sounds like the fish have moved

Back