2024 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Fished South Bowen 1130-330, starting at Cowan and trolling over to Roger Curtis and Tunstall and back. Lost a beauty Chinook in the low twenties, landed and released a 2 and 4 pound chinook, lost a few fish and had a bunch of pin poppers that didn’t stick. Action was pretty much all in the Roger Curtis and Tunstall area at 60-77 feet on the rigger, much better water clarity there too. No elusive coho though, still early I guess.

Last edited:
I do recall some excellent Coho fishing but the arrival of the Pinks seemed to put a damper on it. It will be interesting to see what happens with no Pinks this year.

Any experienced captains want to chime in on what tomorrow might look like crossing the straight in the morning?

Any experienced captains want to chime in on what tomorrow might look like crossing the straight in the morning?
Like Skins mentioned, the tidal current can play a big role more than you think. It flows up the straight (heading NW) on the flood and down on the ebb. So a strong ebb today heading into an opposing wind from the south could chop up pretty good. It also depends if your travelling into the waves, or following them.

Know what to expect… but expect the unexpected

This is a boring but worthwhile read if you’re dorky like me but wanna know your stuff:

Last edited:
Caught this on my trolling gear yesterday in 195 feet of water. Submerged underwater but sort of neutral buoyancy to keep it from not going to the bottom. Just was not sufficient weight in the trap to hold it on the bottom. I cropped out the name.

Attachments

• IMG_0412.jpeg
    IMG_0412.jpeg
    471.2 KB · Views: 170
Fun morning fishing a few hours off Worlcombe Island from 9-11. I thought we'd be pretty alone and tucked in from the dropping tide, but we found ourselves in the traffic of ~12 other boats.

Kept the speed up and the riggers in the 50' - 75' range and managed to find 2 hatchery coho for a buddy and his dad to take home.

IMG_8403.jpg

We didn't work too hard. Lots of water to fish and seemed like lots of fish around. We missed another ~4 coho hits or lost fish on retrieval.

Did also have some chinook action, which we dutifully long-line released, including a ~15 lbs pin popper that peeled line and dusted the knuckles on my buddy's dad.

Hot and flat. Felt like the first day of summer fishing.

Fun morning fishing a few hours off Worlcombe Island from 9-11. I thought we'd be pretty alone and tucked in from the dropping tide, but we found ourselves in the traffic of ~12 other boats.

Kept the speed up and the riggers in the 50' - 75' range and managed to find 2 hatchery coho for a buddy and his dad to take home.

View attachment 107569

We didn't work too hard. Lots of water to fish and seemed like lots of fish around. We missed another ~4 coho hits or lost fish on retrieval.

Did also have some chinook action, which we dutifully long-line released, including a ~15 lbs pin popper that peeled line and dusted the knuckles on my buddy's dad.

Hot and flat. Felt like the first day of summer fishing.
That bottom one has an impressive "anchovy/krill gut" going. It drops bellow the chin and pelvic fins.

Back