2021 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Got a slow start today. A bumpy ride out to Tunstall. We arrived at 900am. Fished Tunstall until noon. It seemed very slow, I asked a few boats and by that point it was looking slow. We moved to a little bay between Tunstall and Hutt. Tons of bait and seals everywhere. So we went over to the waterfall and nailed a beauty. 189ft on the rigger in 150 ft, bouncing off bottom essentially. It was on an Ap spoon double white glow on a green glow flasher. We tried herring aid skinny g, we tried the smaller sandlance ap, and a tomic bright spoon. Zip. The fish was filled with 3-5" anchovies and a bunch of small 2 "bait fish. Nice day.

Attachments

• 20211205_124148.jpg
    20211205_124148.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 156
I'm thinking of heading out after a bit of work on the boat this morning. Anyone out there into anything?

Edit: went out for an hour since it looked amazing out in the harbour. Heading back in with one nice keeper and threw two undersized back. Absolutely stunning on the water today.
awesome fish u fished the mile markers? i fished tunstall today nothing was happening so i trolled south end of bowen and got into four undersize all around 50 cm

Outing from this past Friday, bait size sure varies in every area, threw down a Wee G spoon, belly of the feeder was stuffed full and puking firecracker bait out of it's mouth, it was a 30 min show of fish moved in then out, spectacular views, have a video of dropping the line on the rigger and it gets hit 3/4 way down as i was slowing the rigger down with this beautiful keeper... all along Seatosky hwy
www.JPG2222wwww.jpeg

Fished Tunstall Bay from 9:00am - 1:00pm and got skunked. Tried depths from 140' to 250' and nothing. Tried different spoons and hootchies and nothing. Three other boats fished about the same time and tacks and I didn't see them get anything either.

Lots of fish on the sounder and clouds of bait, but no bites. High tide was a very high one and was 8:41am at the N arm. Even tried jigging for the last hour just to try something different. Very calm but no fish. When there are no fish we talk about the weather. It was a lovely day.

Nice day in the Sound today, worked Hutt to Waterfall and had some good early action scrubbing bottom in the 150-165’ range. Blue splatterback hootchie and No Bananas each produced.

Attachments

• B6599DAF-B5A9-4F22-84DD-01D675FE4691.jpeg
    B6599DAF-B5A9-4F22-84DD-01D675FE4691.jpeg
    277.4 KB · Views: 223
  • A751E633-0F51-44DD-9072-820866C3A692.jpeg
    A751E633-0F51-44DD-9072-820866C3A692.jpeg
    284.2 KB · Views: 222
  • A8BFABE7-0122-46C9-A62A-D7AF833F6525.jpeg
    A8BFABE7-0122-46C9-A62A-D7AF833F6525.jpeg
    288.8 KB · Views: 229
Has anyone tried jigging in our waters for winter chinook? It looks like everyone exclusively trolls.
I tried jigging at Tunstall Bay last week for about an hour with a glo jig that's worked well for me in the past. No luck in 130-150' just up from bottom with a slight drift. That's the only time I've tried it. Nice for the quiet though.

I like jigging in shallower water than where we're finding fish this time of year.

I jig for them a fair bit near Sooke and it can be really effective, though I'm in a kayak and can't control my troll particularly well, so I don't bother most of the time. If you're seeing even small clusters of marks feeding on the bottom, you'll get 'em on the jig, for sure. I'm usually down at 100-140ft. It's good to jig when there are a ton of shakers around as they don't usually tangle with a jig. Can't speak for your waters, but if you have some structure, it'll likely work.

I jig for them a fair bit near Sooke and it can be really effective, though I'm in a kayak and can't control my troll particularly well, so I don't bother most of the time. If you're seeing even small clusters of marks feeding on the bottom, you'll get 'em on the jig, for sure. I'm usually down at 100-140ft. It's good to jig when there are a ton of shakers around as they don't usually tangle with a jig. Can't speak for your waters, but if you have some structure, it'll likely work.
Not a ton of structure fishing on this side. Dragging through the mud. Gives you time to bbq.

Back