2021 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Productive solo day for me yesterday. Lots of action at both the Falls and Tunstall.

Attachments

• FDDF24D9-F31C-4DAA-BFCE-6260D0CF153B.jpeg
    FDDF24D9-F31C-4DAA-BFCE-6260D0CF153B.jpeg
    475 KB · Views: 238
Nice work, mudguts, I chickened out on my run up for the ferry. Was getting ready to push off and surprise one of the riser gaskets is failing after 31 hours. I will deal with this next week and get out for some pre Christmas action!

Last edited:
Went out today and had to break through the ice from the boat launch. Was going to go to Tunstall or the falls but the waves were snotty so we’re stayed in the freighters with a handful of other boats. A few shakers and no nets seen out. Decided to go in tight, at almost the most east freighter and landed one in 90 FOW with 95’ on the rigger.

Attachments

• 45BBBB46-56D4-458A-BC99-F4ADC9570217.jpeg
    45BBBB46-56D4-458A-BC99-F4ADC9570217.jpeg
    261.2 KB · Views: 229
Went out today and had to break through the ice from the boat launch. Was going to go to Tunstall or the falls but the waves were snotty so we’re stayed in the freighters with a handful of other boats. A few shakers and no nets seen out. Decided to go in tight, at almost the most east freighter and landed one in 90 FOW with 95’ on the rigger.
So, you were fishing fairly deep, then

Did you throw it back?

Happy new 2021 Season, fellow Sportfishing forum members, Have some new toys to try for the 2021 season: Pro-troll herring rigs with e-chips, Pro-troll flashers with LED's and e-chips ( sure gimmick but who knows , may help?) and new "Swarm" dummy flashers to try hanging off the cannonballs. . Will report on same if appears to help and worth buying in new season. If junk and no better than good old normal flashers, cut-plug herring or anchovy rigs, will let you know.

Swarm ref: http://wigglefin.com/Swarm_detail.html

Damn starting to get the bite already and still winter and ugly weather- hate it.
Hello all, Follow-up from start of year: As it turns out, the Pro-troll & Swarm dummy flasher combination, worked really well all year, in spite of really short season , managed to get enough fish to fill the big home-built built convection smoker, Below is a video link of day when I played guide and took 4 new Salmon fisherman out> Putting them all into a nice fish each and small one or 2 keepers as well.. All 4 went home with trophies to brag about. One sent me this video, as I was piloting and working the gear. Really made me happy to give new fishermen the "rush" of playin a big smiley in and was fun to watch their arms get tired, In the video you can see Pro troll Herring rigs,( we found glow chartreuse was most effective ) and dummy flasher Swarm. 2.4 mph or sometime slower and speed up back to 2.4 was the ticket, all depths tons hits all year. and wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and happy new year:

Tight lines!

Hello all, Follow-up from start of year: As it turns out, the Pro-troll & Swarm dummy flasher combination, worked really well all year, in spite of really short season , managed to get enough fish to fill the big home-built built convection smoker, Below is a video link of day when I played guide and took 4 new Salmon fisherman out> Putting them all into a nice fish each and small one or 2 keepers as well.. All 4 went home with trophies to brag about. One sent me this video, as I was piloting and working the gear. Really made me happy to give new fishermen the "rush" of playin a big smiley in and was fun to watch their arms get tired, In the video you can see Pro troll Herring rigs,( we found glow chartreuse was most effective ) and dummy flasher Swarm. 2.4 mph or sometime slower and speed up back to 2.4 was the ticket, all depths tons hits all year. and wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and happy new year:

Tight lines!
Oh and the Led flashers turned out to be useless gimmick, . regular ones lemon lime guide series or etc. you all use and show here, (thanks for sharing) or chartreuse ones still best.

Hey there. Nice fish!....what launch was iced up? Was the ramp a mess too?
Thanks, Trevor

Did you throw it back
Hey there. Nice fish!....what launch was iced up? Was the ramp a mess too?
Thanks, Trevor

Not a huge fish for sure but a nice red. I was surprised to get one so far east. Pretty new to the salt scene so not sure if this is normal this time of year? It was rocky point and the launch was good but the water was frozen solid from there to Reed point marina.

Last edited:
Not a huge fish for sure but a nice red. I was surprised to get one so far east. Pretty new to the salt scene so not sure if this is normal this time of year? It was rocky point and the launch was good but the water was frozen solid from there to Reed point marina.
Whoa! That's a lot of ice! Or seems like it. I don't have any point of reference for launching there in the winter though. Did the boat crack it? I admire your dedication!

nice fish

Fished the bell buoy yesterday from 11am - 1 pm and had some luck right at the buoy in ~140’. One just undersized (released) and one into the slot plus a few more shakers. Both beautiful fresh fish with purple backs.

Usual program: glow flashers and tackle, one spoon, one hootchie, both caught fish, riggers very close to bottom.

E2838402-83F2-4348-9315-0CC177143CC5.jpeg445159CC-953D-4A93-84ED-7FE8988E7B1C.jpeg

Back