OFFICIAL 2015 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Sounds good.

I'll be out there tomorrow in my 22' Robalo (pale yellow hull with a T-top). If anybody sees me hail me on the radio to see what's going on. I'm a noob out there...never fished the hump before.

Loooks like low slack is 10:40am today (at Point Atkinson). Best action was before 9:30am for you Chasin' Dreams?

2 hours around slack tides seem to be best. Was out on Tuesday afternoon. Boxed a barely legal and a 13 on cop car and kitchen sink spoon. Lost 3 big boys. All bites within 2 hours of high slack. Only 4 boats out in the slop.

Hump was on frickin' fire yesterday morning. I received pictures, texts and phone calls from a local guide/charter outfit I am friends with and they had 15 fish on. They limited with 4 in the box to 25 pounds, released 4 others, lost a few and released a few "undersize".

Another guide boat fishing the same area had 7 nice fish to the boat in 3.5 hours

This morning, one of the same guides dropped and basically had non stop action for 2 hours. Another guide I know was called over and he started hooking some very good numbers of fish and started boating some great quality fish in the high teens and bigger.

For the benefit of those on this forum I pass along the following advice and tips based in personal experience and this years fishery: get in the fish and stay in the fish. for example. if you hook up and boat a fish, turn around and head back to that area. despite it being open water, there are schools of hungry Chinook who have corralled a bait school and if you troll off the area, you are likely leaving a concentration of fish.

In recent days, spoons are definitely offering great bang for the buck and the P-cod can be a nuisance.

100-120 feet really seems to be the hottest depths the past few days.

If the bite is off and a pack of boats is not producing, then move off and find your own piece of water. Please remember to respect a reasonable distance from working boats. a set of binoculars may work wonders in deciding which direction to troll.

This weekend is going to be a busy time with the NSFG Derby and there is going to be a record number of Chinook weighed in if the past few days catches are any indication.

Tight Lines and enjoy every second on the water......

What the ETA on solowey Dave?[/QUOTE

Shooting to get Solowey back in on Saturday before dark. Picked it up last Saturday from Inlet marine. Brought it up to whistler to clean it all up. Weather has been horrible for trying to cut polish a boat. Can't wait to try out the new power.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fished Hump today and didn't see any nets out, I brought 6 undersize to the boat and released 3 that I think lived. I got a double header at end of the day and released the smaller one and kept the bigger bleeder as it just made the size. Must be lots of undersize out there . All at 115 using chovie.

Out from 9-12 at the hump this morning. Lots of boats out. Picked up this 12lber at 105. Cop car and green glo flasher at 105. A couple shakers one just under legal and innumerable Pollock.

Attachments

• IMG_0312.jpg
    IMG_0312.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 415
Out from 9-12 at the hump this morning. Lots of boats out. Picked up this 12lber at 105. Cop car and green glo flasher at 105. A couple shakers one just under legal and innumerable Pollock.

Yup, lots of boats but no nets out. The guides were there so I know Thrasher is not producing cause they would have crossed with the water like a pancake. I noticed that I caught more undersize going over 2.5 knots and with shorter leader so changed up.

Nice fish Ryan! Thanks for the reports guys. Looks like beauty weather out there. The number of Pollock out there lately is crazy. I'm thinking of trying these for table fare one of these times.

Has anyone eaten any of these pollock?
Gonna catch up on the yard work, plant the garden tomorrow and hit it for Sunday.
Winds look better as well, especially with the wife onboard.
Keep the reports coming boys.

Nice fish Ryan! Thanks for the reports guys. Looks like beauty weather out there. The number of Pollock out there lately is crazy. I'm thinking of trying these for table fare one of these times.

I did coupla weeks ago. Not much flavour but good texture with large white flake meat and good oil content. Not easy to dry out. Probably good for batter and fry although the filets are thin.

Haven't kept any since but will try it again when im feeling energetic.

Pollock are good to eat. It's what most processed fish products come from. Fish sticks, fillet of fish at McDonald's, imitation crab meat etc. The problem is the size of the fillets are pitiful.

Yesterday (Friday) at the Hump we started out 1 for 4 (boated a 15 lb'er and lost three more probably in the range of 15 to 20) and then landed a 19 and a 24. Lot's of undersized and some pollock (less than last weekend (for us)). Beautiful condition with most action before 9:00 and then sporadic thereafter. Great fighters and they were a lot harder to net than weeks previous. We actually bent our net trying to net/pick-up the 24 lb'er. Bait and spoons working - large herring ensured not pollock. Anchovies attract pollock like flies... but they work well. Also green spoon and green flashers with silver tape.

Best of luck out there for the derby today - I assume something close to 30 lbs will take top prize!

Pollock are good to eat. It's what most processed fish products come from. Fish sticks, fillet of fish at McDonald's, imitation crab meat etc. The problem is the size of the fillets are pitiful.

Yes I know pollock for sure, I just meant with the general size that I have seen, didn't really look to be too rewarding.

Ran over to thrasher yesterday morning with Angelina summer. Tried for lings for a few hours with no luck. Boxed a couple rock cod and headed back to the hump. Water was calm and it was sunny so the crossing was a breeze.

Dropped lines at the hump and picked up a 13lb13oz spring in short order; 120ft. Within the next hour boxed another 10lb and a 12lb to finish off the day. All fish on irish crème.

Trendsetter did you fish for springs at thrasher yesterday also? My buddies were there in a Grady called Size Matters. They got into a few nice fish there. Did you see some fish caught at Thrasher?

Out at the hump this morning. Lost one, got an undersized and boxed one about 12 pounds. Nobody out here with the rough waters.

Back