Commander 26 Re Build

You should lower the v-berth platform while you're at it. Another thing I hoped to do to mine. The bed (on the 30 at least) is huge. More headroom would be nice.

I'd love to see how it ties into the hull actually.
I’m not sure about the 26 er, it’s smaller and would lose area for height,

You should lower the v-berth platform while you're at it. Another thing I hoped to do to mine. The bed (on the 30 at least) is huge. More headroom would be nice.

I'd love to see how it ties into the hull actually.
U might get to see, I have no access to remove the front hook hahahahh2BC0E6B5-E670-4771-ADF0-0BF10EB7FD1D.jpeg

So gentlemen, as you know I have been digging further and further into the boat. I had 3 hours of quality time last night thinking about the commander during the new Batman movie as realized what I have, want I was planning to do and what I wanted to do. It’s so close to everything out….
My plan now has changed , we are going to rip her apart to the hull. Inspection of every inch will be performed, stupid questions will be asked, new foam , new floors, new cabinets will be installed, every screw will be replaced, new railings ,every thing going on this boat will be new.
Brand new 1980 commander custom.
Here’s where we are at:0748CB9F-E66D-40AB-AF58-C8025699833F.jpeg86571C69-3300-4D58-A562-6A48FBBE16F6.jpeg

Wow, what a massive undertaking. She gonna be way better than new and good for another 40+ years. Hopefully you don’t outgrow it and can enjoy it for years to come.

Wow, what a massive undertaking. She gonna be way better than new and good for another 40+ years. Hopefully you don’t outgrow it and can enjoy it for years to come.
My sons got some sweat into this boat and is super excited… if there’s one addiction I want to pass to him is fishing.
She’s been cruising these waters for 40 years already, tried tested and true, if there is any boat that deserves it it’s the commander

Seems kinda overkill to absolutely rip apart and rebuild the entire boat, but I love it. That being said since you now there and fully committed, just like lowering the back deck if really suggest reconfiguration of the v berth. Lower if possible and extend it down the side under part of the dinette seating into a coffin on that side. Not sure that’s possible but a great configuration if it is, always for three to sleep in v berth, adult 2 kids for example. Also it may be already, but make sure the dinette drops to a bed a little over 6 feet. In my boat it’s literally 2/3inches to short and kinks my neck lol. It will be an epic fishing cruiser family boat. Also I’d suggest leaving the oven, keep it as close to camper as possible you’ll use it over time. Fishing trips don’t have to be all about the guys, get the wife and kids involved. As long as the boat is comfortable they will all enjoy it

My v berth is set up like mentioned and it makes for big open space that’s all one level and set up as a comfortable space to retreat, I stored stuff that is often needed underneath in storage.

Seems kinda overkill to absolutely rip apart and rebuild the entire boat, but I love it. That being said since you now there and fully committed, just like lowering the back deck if really suggest reconfiguration of the v berth. Lower if possible and extend it down the side under part of the dinette seating into a coffin on that side. Not sure that’s possible but a great configuration if it is, always for three to sleep in v berth, adult 2 kids for example. Also it may be already, but make sure the dinette drops to a bed a little over 6 feet. In my boat it’s literally 2/3inches to short and kinks my neck lol. It will be an epic fishing cruiser family boat. Also I’d suggest leaving the oven, keep it as close to camper as possible you’ll use it over time. Fishing trips don’t have to be all about the guys, get the wife and kids involved. As long as the boat is comfortable they will all enjoy it
That’s a great idea,

I'm not sure you'd want to start cutting holes in those major bulkheads without considering your loss of shear strength.
Posts on both sides should be good, the 26er has one foot closets one both sides after the v berth and one side has a hatch already,
Too late I cut it already with out Ron

Back