Commander 26 Re Build

I would fit 3/4" plywood under the deck to fit,then score it with skill saw or table saw 1/16 to 1/8" deep,saturate with catalyzed resin,let set,gype into place,brace if needed and hammer out any air bubbles,then fiberglass over top.Drill out deck fastening holes and use your 1/4 alum. backing plates,fasten with SS bolts and nylok nuts. Done.

Glass does not bond to aluminum. If there is any stress around the aluminum the glass will give from the metal. Gype in the wood backing and then glass it in. You can still use an aluminum baking plate, but I wouldn't glass it into the structure.
Makes sense

I would fit 3/4" plywood under the deck to fit,then score it with skill saw or table saw 1/16 to 1/8" deep,saturate with catalyzed resin,let set,gype into place,brace if needed and hammer out any air bubbles,then fiberglass over top.Drill out deck fastening holes and use your 1/4 alum. backing plates,fasten with SS bolts and nylok nuts. Done.
Your making me want to go back to the shop and try that! This is gonna be the hardest date with the wife tonight, all I’m gona be doing is thinking about commanders LoL

I been reading up a bit on it, it doesn’t bond but can be glassed over?
Sure, it can be encapsulated, but to what end? If you are going to drill holes through it there is still a place for water to get in and move past the aluminum. When you start torquing the hardware it will probably separate from the metal, slightly anyway. If you are really worried about drilling holes for your hardware there is a standard. Say you have a normal cored deck. You oversize the drill hole, then fill said hole with thickened epoxy, then drill your hole in the center of the epoxy, no way for water to get to the core. I had to redo all the deck railings on a sailboat this way, after I dug out all the soaked balsa.
It took somewhere around 30+ years for the current core to fail, and that's with someone drilling lots of random holes in it, if you rebuild it the way it was, but take extra care to seal the through bolts it will last at least that long again. Just my opinion.

Corbin "You oversize the drill hole, then fill said hole with thickened epoxy, then drill your hole in the center of the epoxy, no way for water to get to the core. I had to redo all the deck railings on a sailboat this way, after I dug out all the soaked balsa."
This is a great way to do it,and recommended for anything near or underwater,but maybe a little overkill for deck fittings unless you plan on keeping the boat for more than 40 years.IMO

Corbin "You oversize the drill hole, then fill said hole with thickened epoxy, then drill your hole in the center of the epoxy, no way for water to get to the core. I had to redo all the deck railings on a sailboat this way, after I dug out all the soaked balsa."
This is a great way to do it,and recommended for anything near or underwater,but maybe a little overkill for deck fittings unless you plan on keeping the boat for more than 40 years.IMO
Agreed. I'm with you, a normal installation with good caulking should do the trick.

Mounted my Dickinson to a Scotty riser… easily moved around and firmly attached to any base onboard. Works for me…

Just a suggestion (great thread BTW), I did this when re-bedding rail mounts on my last boat: after re-building your decking with ply and glass, fasten the aluminum backers on with 5200. Then drill and tap the plates from the top; no nuts required. Then you can tighten or remove the rails from the top only without having to tear into your ceiling to get at nuts.

You should lower the v-berth platform while you're at it. Another thing I hoped to do to mine. The bed (on the 30 at least) is huge. More headroom would be nice.

I'd love to see how it ties into the hull actually.

Back