Commander 26 Re Build

BBQs are a pain in the butt because their messy on a boat and theres no place to every store them away without creating a task to do every time. When their mounted they get in the way when fishing. Store them under the deck and they get moldy and right dicked. However I cant imagine not having a BBQ on board.

BBQs are a pain in the butt because their messy on a boat and theres no place to every store them away without creating a task to do every time. When their mounted they get in the way when fishing. Store them under the deck and they get moldy and right dicked. However I cant imagine not having a BBQ on board.
Mine is mounted permanently to the rail. I couldn't imagine the in and out ever again.

Obviously there are many ways to cook but If you are planning longer trips, the best and easiest way we have found to eat well and keep it simple is the oven. My buddies wife pre makes our dinners into oven safe containers that are then frozen and vacuum sealed. Pull them out of the cooler around noon and into the oven for 20 minutes at dinner and you are done. Just throwing it out there before you ditch the oven.

Obviously there are many ways to cook but If you are planning longer trips, the best and easiest way we have found to eat well and keep it simple is the oven. My buddies wife pre makes our dinners into oven safe containers that are then frozen and vacuum sealed. Pull them out of the cooler around noon and into the oven for 20 minutes at dinner and you are done. Just throwing it out there before you ditch the oven.
We use the oven often as well. I wouldn't trade it for a microwave.

Any pics ? Hehhehehheh
I haven’t see any commander pics for a while
I bought a Dickson BBQ last year and have it mounted to the rail via a quick disconnect. It mostly stays on there and does not get in the way for fishinng. I use a silcone cookie backing sheet unde rit to avoid mess on the boat. My Propane tanks are in a stern locker so I have a hose off a tee on the tank direct to the BBQ. No 1 pound green bottles. We also somtines use a single Butane burner for doing things like boiling crabs on the dock and don't have to fill the boat with smells. They are cheap like $30 and you can get the butane bottles anywhere. Mine boat does not have an oven just a 3 burner propane cook top and convection microwave.
If your boat did not have one, you should get a propane sniffer if using propane inside, other wise you might really test your hull to deck joint :p

Today we started removing and inspecting the plywood where the railing sits, good few feet wet. It seems like most or all points of entry was through mounting hardware through the deck. At this point would be best to replace all ply and add some type of reinforcement. I have some cut 1/4 aluminum that can be glassed in under all mounting hardware, that should make it a solid mount and isolate the ply from the mounting hardware. 82AEA5D7-5212-4C9C-921D-C837485DCEA9.jpegCAD56AFA-9CEA-4D6A-B9ED-637028E577FE.jpeg52AFF352-7169-4440-95CF-87CBA2EB45E2.jpegAFD555E1-5A1E-4016-BE63-B1A0A8EDB5DE.jpeg7ADAEC29-DF53-430D-B2AF-4030833E0A9F.jpeg

"Today we started removing and inspecting the plywood where the railing sits, good few feet wet. It seems like most or all points of entry was through mounting hardware through the deck. At this point would be best to replace all ply and add some type of reinforcement. I have some cut 1/4 aluminum that can be glassed in under all mounting hardware, that should make it a solid mount and isolate the ply from the mounting hardware."
This sounds like your thinking of putting the aluminum against the fiberglass and then adding plywood,No? I'm probably misinterpreting,you'll gype the plywood to the glass,fiberglass over and then use the aluminum reinforcement ,right?

"Today we started removing and inspecting the plywood where the railing sits, good few feet wet. It seems like most or all points of entry was through mounting hardware through the deck. At this point would be best to replace all ply and add some type of reinforcement. I have some cut 1/4 aluminum that can be glassed in under all mounting hardware, that should make it a solid mount and isolate the ply from the mounting hardware."
This sounds like your thinking of putting the aluminum against the fiberglass and then adding plywood,No? I'm probably misinterpreting,you'll gype the plywood to the glass,fiberglass over and then use the aluminum reinforcement ,right?
I’m not sure which way, Ron is thinking about it, not sure if different resin would be needed?
I want to prevent weak spots from happening, he told me if I want to build an aluminum boat I should start fresh LoL.

1/4 doesn’t make sense, ply is 1/2

Ok, aluminum is 3/8, ply is 1/2.
Gype the plywood
Install 3/8 aluminum against the fibreglass but no more plywood, glass in the rest.

Ok, aluminum is 3/8, ply is 1/2.
Gype the plywood
Install 3/8 aluminum against the fibreglass but no more plywood, glass in the rest.
Glass does not bond to aluminum. If there is any stress around the aluminum the glass will give from the metal. Gype in the wood backing and then glass it in. You can still use an aluminum baking plate, but I wouldn't glass it into the structure.

Glass does not bond to aluminum. If there is any stress around the aluminum the glass will give from the metal. Gype in the wood backing and then glass it in. You can still use an aluminum baking plate, but I wouldn't glass it into the structure.
I been reading up a bit on it, it doesn’t bond but can be glassed over?

Back