Commander 26 Re Build

We are going to have you looking at a 30 soon….. ha ha.
Time will tell.
But now no way,
26 commander is the perfect all around boat
IMO
The smaller size is what made me go with the 26.
I think overall I will have better handling and overall maneuverability ( when I build the pod right ) . Don’t forget , remove the swim deck and the commander is 24 feet LOA . Add a pod and it’s just under 28 with no motors. That’s a perfect size to not just cruise fast but have a bit of sporty performance.
For fishing hands down the 26 er with deck dropped is supreme just from the visibility aspect And I’m thinking solo fishing would be much easier, but I guess all that depends on controls.
Power to weight ratio,
26 er at just over 8000lbs dry with 500 HP is minimal to meet my power needs
30 footer sits at 12000lbs, you would need 700 HP to match power to weight ratio, but don’t forget the wider beam and drag, add another 200 for that. IMO you might need 900hp on a 30 footer.
That said, the commander 30 is BY FAR my favourite boat ever.
@Raincity, my math is good if there’s no budget,
You need triples

I think I am going to draw the line here, everything so far was cool, but I’m not going to debate which is better, 26 er or 30 footer, I can’t do it

One thing I'll note -I've been on rain city's condo a couple times and it's a blast. Fishing from it was easy an comfortable. great time all around! What would make it even better would be a clearer line of sight while trolling.
Since you're still open to design ideas - one thing that would be cool is to have a look through window on whatever side you plan to have your second helm on. I assume that would be easier than looking around the outside of the boat? Just a thought..

Last edited:
One thing I'll note -I've been rain city's condo a couple times and it's a blast. Fishing from it was easy an comfortable. great time all around! What would make it even better would be a clearer line of sight while trolling.
Since you're still open to design ideas - one thing that would be cool is to have a look through window on whatever side you plan to have your second helm on. I assume that would be easier than looking around the outside of the boat? Just a thought..
I take everything I said about the 30 commander back

One thing I'll note -I've been on rain city's condo a couple times and it's a blast. Fishing from it was easy an comfortable. great time all around! What would make it even better would be a clearer line of sight while trolling.
There is one look through window, other side is the bathroom. And the door has a window, so technically 2/3 of the back to look thru.
Lowering the deck has made these windows really useful because with the deck at the original height , I was tending to look around the boat instead of thru it. Maybe I should drop the deck to the cabin level… like a 30 footer?

Now you got me thinking about raising the roof LoL

I was just about to say that. "Raise the roof!" But didn't want to cause any more pain lol

Some Sea Sports have a window on both sides of the head so you can see through. Curtains close off the windows when in use

C-Dory-Dealer-California-22-of-12.jpg

Time will tell.
But now no way,
26 commander is the perfect all around boat
IMO
The smaller size is what made me go with the 26.
I think overall I will have better handling and overall maneuverability ( when I build the pod right ) . Don’t forget , remove the swim deck and the commander is 24 feet LOA . Add a pod and it’s just under 28 with no motors. That’s a perfect size to not just cruise fast but have a bit of sporty performance.
For fishing hands down the 26 er with deck dropped is supreme just from the visibility aspect And I’m thinking solo fishing would be much easier, but I guess all that depends on controls.
Power to weight ratio,
26 er at just over 8000lbs dry with 500 HP is minimal to meet my power needs
30 footer sits at 12000lbs, you would need 700 HP to match power to weight ratio, but don’t forget the wider beam and drag, add another 200 for that. IMO you might need 900hp on a 30 footer.
That said, the commander 30 is BY FAR my favourite boat ever.
@Raincity, my math is good if there’s no budget,
You need triples
So RC's 30 has 2 x 400hp diesels and probably burns as much (cheaper) fuel as one 300hp outboard. I have the D4-260HP and can hit 42mph and cruise at 32 to 35mph burning 12 to 14gph. However we do spend more money on engine maintenance. I suspect fully loaded we are getting towards 15,000 pounds. There is 2000 pounds for just fuel and water. With my dinghy on I am 35' LOA.

Anyway you have a build to complete! :) Don't overthink it as summer is coming quick!

The sportfishing bc boat design. Your going to owe us all beer after this thing is done ;)

Back