Commander 26 Re Build

I didn't know the commander was 24 without the deck, no wonder I didn't think the 26 commander that was parked next to my 24 double eagle didn't look bigger just a little wider.

I didn't know the commander was 24 without the deck, no wonder I didn't think the 26 commander that was parked next to my 24 double eagle didn't look bigger just a little wider.
I don't think that is right. The specs show it 25' 9" centre and 27" 11" overall. Back in those days boats were named by their hull length but now it is overall length

DescriptionMetric MeasureImperial MeasureU.S. Measure
Centre line length7.85 meters25’9″25’9″
Length overall8.22 meters27’11”27’11”
Beam3.09 meters10’2″10’2″
Height above the water line2.74 meters9’0″9’0″
Height overall3.21 meters10’6.1/2″10’6.1/2″
Approximate weight3039 kgms.8,000 lbs.8,000 lbs.
Fuel Capacity481 litres106 galls.127 galls.
Fresh Water Capacity151 litres33.3 galls.40 galls.

I don't think that is right. The specs show it 25' 9" centre and 27" 11" overall. Back in those days boats were named by their hull length but now it is overall length

DescriptionMetric MeasureImperial MeasureU.S. Measure
Centre line length7.85 meters25’9″25’9″
Length overall8.22 meters27’11”27’11”
Beam3.09 meters10’2″10’2″
Height above the water line2.74 meters9’0″9’0″
Height overall3.21 meters10’6.1/2″10’6.1/2″
Approximate weight3039 kgms.8,000 lbs.8,000 lbs.
Fuel Capacity481 litres106 galls.127 galls.
Fresh Water Capacity151 litres33.3 galls.40 galls.
Makes sense my bad, everybody posts the commander is 25 9 overall, especially when selling them

So RC's 30 has 2 x 400hp diesels and probably burns as much (cheaper) fuel as one 300hp outboard. I have the D4-260HP and can hit 42mph and cruise at 32 to 35mph burning 12 to 14gph. However we do spend more money on engine maintenance. I suspect fully loaded we are getting towards 15,000 pounds. There is 2000 pounds for just fuel and water. With my dinghy on I am 35' LOA.

Anyway you have a build to complete! :) Don't overthink it as summer is coming quick!
Please stop…. I can’t go home thinking about a 30 foot commander,
I will never post anything again comparing a 30 to a 26, I promise.

Well some progress for the day:
After being crushed by Sir Reel and his 30 foot commander, I slowly picked myself up , made sure my 26er is still ok, I’m still seeing a mix of stars and 30 foot commanders.
Half beaten down I beg Sir Reel for mercy, I will never compare a 26 er to a 30 again, I promise.
Still scared ****less I’m going to get crushed by RC tomorrow, he hasn’t said anything today.
So the rest of the day is spent with the guy if feel safest with-Ron.
But he scared the crap out of me too. He tells me there is water in the boat under the fibreglass. We spend some time inspecting the exterior and find a few places of concern. The LH side where the guard rail mounts has been leaking water through the hardware, there is about ) inches that Ron wants to replace. That’s the good, the bad is the Bow and RH side, the bow glass has separated from the plywood, and water has gotten it, we traced it down and found a bunch of little holes covered up, from a previous repair. All over the bow and RH side.
Guess I’m going in deeper,
Too hard to show pic of bow damage, noticed it’s separated when we where blowing out the holes with air and had the glass flex away from the ply. Plan is to cut out plywood from the inside and glass in new, it looks like the whole RH side of the bow will be replaced2FDABEFB-A740-4C72-BAB0-3BF90F9A20B6.jpegC2D85F00-91BB-45AF-8DD7-C026FE4CC94F.jpegBFA00D23-C20C-421A-ADE9-CDC673288D2F.jpegF8BA2DA0-A301-48CC-AB86-79231178D02A.jpeg7305EE85-97FB-4A9D-ADDD-013F8E88D943.jpegF6BE19B9-3671-453D-A51C-E585A65635B8.jpeg

@Sir Reel
Today was the first day I felt the power behind the 30 foot commander, and what that boat means, I felt intimidated posting.
I felt the presence, I felt the majesty
My 26 er and my Thunderjet are still cared , going to hug them both before I go home tonight, and spend the rest of the night snuggling with the wife.

Well some progress for the day:
After being crushed by Sir Reel and his 30 foot commander, I slowly picked myself up , made sure my 26er is still ok, I’m still seeing a mix of stars and 30 foot commanders.
Half beaten down I beg Sir Reel for mercy, I will never compare a 26 er to a 30 again, I promise.
Still scared ****less I’m going to get crushed by RC tomorrow, he hasn’t said anything today.
So the rest of the day is spent with the guy if feel safest with-Ron.
But he scared the crap out of me too. He tells me there is water in the boat under the fibreglass. We spend some time inspecting the exterior and find a few places of concern. The LH side where the guard rail mounts has been leaking water through the hardware, there is about ) inches that Ron wants to replace. That’s the good, the bad is the Bow and RH side, the bow glass has separated from the plywood, and water has gotten it, we traced it down and found a bunch of little holes covered up, from a previous repair. All over the bow and RH side.
Guess I’m going in deeper,
Too hard to show pic of bow damage, noticed it’s separated when we where blowing out the holes with air and had the glass flex away from the ply. Plan is to cut out plywood from the inside and glass in new, it looks like the whole RH side of the bow will be replacedView attachment 76738View attachment 76739View attachment 76740View attachment 76741View attachment 76742View attachment 76743
Ouch that sucks. But sounds like you’re doing it right. When I read stuff like this I know why I sold my 25 year old glass boat and went new. There are probly a lot more older glass boats out there like this that anyone cares to check or know about. Guys think they are alright cause they are all shinny on the outside but who knows what lurks beneath. Hope the best for you brother.

B.O.A.T is all I have to say lol.

Last edited:
Ouch that sucks. But sounds like you’re doing it right. When I read stuff like this I know why I sold my 25 year old glass boat and went new. There are probly a lot more older glass boats out there like this that anyone cares to check or know about. Guys think they are alright cause they are all shinny on the outside but who knows what lurks beneath. Hope the best for you brother.

B.O.A.T is all I have to say lol.
Should be ok , we checked a few spots beside and seem ok, definitely will be replacing all suspect areas. But ya without interior removed it would e impossible to repair properly I been toldB3ECFDED-E974-42FB-9F6A-3B55463F1DED.jpegHere is a pic of 8” up from where the water was under the glass, grinded it down and looks and feels completely dry.

There is an epoxy that is the consistency of water that you can pour in, seep in and turn rotten wood I to solid epoxy resin. Might help
Thx ,Do you think that was the original repair? Those little holes, almost like somebody tried to pour epoxy in ? but maybe didn’t dry it properly first?
Any rotten wood will be replaced, we have access all around now, no cutting corners now

Back