Commander 26 Re Build

Don’t put a mirror on the bathroom door if you’re doing the windows to look through to the front. My buddies 28’ kingfisher has a mirror on the door and it’s an absolute mind f*ck looking through 3 pieces of glass with reflections of the mirror going to the side glass. You see phantom boats that you think are right in front of you but they are actually well beside you lol

Don’t put a mirror on the bathroom door if you’re doing the windows to look through to the front. My buddies 28’ kingfisher has a mirror on the door and it’s an absolute mind f*ck looking through 3 pieces of glass with reflections of the mirror going to the side glass. You see phantom boats that you think are right in front of you but they are actually well beside you lol
I've actually learned to just heavily rely on radar now. I mark crab and prawn floats as I see them. You learn to deal with it.

I've actually learned to just heavily rely on radar now. I mark crab and prawn floats as I see them. You learn to deal with it.
Interesting,
I can’t seem to make my mind up on a radar,
Trying to figure out what I need now and what I can add on later.

Maybe a curtain for the mirror

Don’t be afraid to show off a few more pics…
Mmmmmmm
I brought the boat home over a winter for a refit. The scale pales compared to your project, but I got a bit done.

Attachments

• 02 (2).jpg
    02 (2).jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 248
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 233
  • 03.JPG
    03.JPG
    327.4 KB · Views: 218
  • 04.JPG
    04.JPG
    375.7 KB · Views: 216
  • 05.JPG
    05.JPG
    291.4 KB · Views: 216
  • Corbin.jpg
    Corbin.jpg
    387.1 KB · Views: 217
  • Commander.jpg
    Commander.jpg
    332.4 KB · Views: 250
Did you do all the work yourself? Looks incredible! Maybe 30 feet isn’t too big…
Yes, I do everything, love my shop!! Everything except canvass and upholstery, I get Peninsula Boat Tops to do that stuff.

Nastiest surprise in the refit was the coolers on my D4's. All the aluminum castings were corroded to the point that they were garbage, all the o-ring seats were gone. I was very fortunate that an outstanding Volvo mechanic I know was able to sell me new condition, used housings for a very good price. What could have cost tens of thousands ended up being about 5k. I now tear down all my coolers every three years, takes a couple days.

Attachments

• home.jpg
    home.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 184
  • green (1).jpg
    green (1).jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 176
  • green (2).jpg
    green (2).jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 171
  • green 3.jpg
    green 3.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 184
Yes, I do everything, love my shop!! Everything except canvass and upholstery, I get Peninsula Boat Tops to do that stuff.

Nastiest surprise in the refit was the coolers on my D4's. All the aluminum castings were corroded to the point that they were garbage, all the o-ring seats were gone. I was very fortunate that an outstanding Volvo mechanic I know was able to sell me new condition, used housings for a very good price. What could have cost tens of thousands ended up being about 5k. I now tear down all my coolers every three years, takes a couple days.
WTF... I can't believe how clean that is.

Headliner is original Commander. Have no idea if it's still available.

Gotcha

I'm tossing around headliner ideas right now for the Western Venture. Was thinking the same material you used on your floor. 1/4 teak and holly. Westwind was priced pretty good at 280 a sheet

Gotcha

I'm tossing around headliner ideas right now for the Western Venture. Was thinking the same material you used on your floor. 1/4 teak and holly. Westwind was priced pretty good at 280 a sheet
That would be a very interesting headliner, not sure what finish would be appropriate. If mine was toast I would probably go with panels covered in Majilite, with recessed lighting. That said, I really like the original headliner in the Commanders. During all work there was always the: Carefull of the headliner!!!

The headliner was torn out years ago when they did an engine swap. The original was your standard white arborite style. The rest of the interior is teak, in nice shape.

I have a ton of recessed lighting that's going in it with a dimmer and individual push buttons per light.

Was thinking to do the shower and the bunks in the teak and holly also.

First pic is the venture ceiling as of now

Only picture I can find on Google with a teak and holly ceiling is this one

Attachments

• 20220318_182133.jpg
    20220318_182133.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 138
  • CFlor-on-ceiling-2.jpg
    CFlor-on-ceiling-2.jpg
    389.1 KB · Views: 136
Back