Commander 26 Re Build

Gentlemen, it came to my attention that some of you think I removed the top to scrap it, no no no no no, it is removed just for painting purposes and I wanted the last of the old screws out. The top is going back on, 100 percent, just painted properly. It really took me only a couple hours and I had the top off, no brainer to remove it
But now that it's offffff...

I think that boat looks strange without the top. I’d maybe just modify it a bit if your not actually having a helm up there. Maybe get Ron to cut the dash area out and open it up just that much more for usable space

Gentlemen, it came to my attention that some of you think I removed the top to scrap it, no no no no no, it is removed just for painting purposes and I wanted the last of the old screws out. The top is going back on, 100 percent, just painted properly. It really took me only a couple hours and I had the top off, no brainer to remove it

The reactions from the board members on this topic of if the top stays or goes on other peoples boats is most likely PTSD from the Snyder affair... If I recall there was an ongoing poll about top vs no top... Carry on the way you see fit - you're doing a great job on your boat.

Our PTSD will fade with time... :)

Last edited:
Hit the nail on the head there @BCI.

@Sttr, you walked right into the middle of an unresolved angst fest between flybridge yes/no.
I thought this issue was only regarding Hourstons, but now realize it is a much larger pool of angst that includes Commanders.

You have been clear as to why the flybridge is good for your family, and thereby good for you.
That seems to have no impact on the pool of angst.

And then you showed pictures of removing the flybridge.
Predictable consequences ensued.

Carry on...

Hit the nail on the head there @BCI.

@Sttr, you walked right into the middle of an unresolved angst fest between flybridge yes/no.
I thought this issue was only regarding Hourstons, but now realize it is a much larger pool of angst that includes Commanders.

You have been clear as to why the flybridge is good for your family, and thereby good for you.
That seems to have no impact on the pool of angst.

And then you showed pictures of removing the flybridge.
Predictable consequences ensued.

Carry on..
I see it both ways. Buy a cheap commander , drop the top and you got a killer fishing machine.
love it
Says a lot about the commander boat it self , the build and design of it is outstanding and can be made to whatever one’s preferences are. With the top off this boat would be better , wider than most fishing boats out there, imo.
But… I love the idea of a flybridge, it puts a smile on my face and most importantly a smile on the kids and my wife. Let’s be honest, a day on the water with my family consists of a few hours with lines down and rest of the time hanging out in the sound. As much as I want every advantage I can have while fishing, I’m not going to be happy unless everyone else is. I also only have been fishing, haven’t really done anything else on the ocean. What I’m looking forward to is Exploring the inner coast! It’s going to be a blast! I have everything planned , I’m going to head North !
That’s my main purpose of this commander, and my dream. There are so many other things for me to learn about and do on the ocean, I sound like an expert to most ordinary people when talking about fishing or the ocean, but really I only scratched the surface and that’s what really exciting!

Point being :
Dropping the top is one’s personal preference…. That’s it

I wish I had a flybridge! So nice to have a private space away from the family, have a beer with a buddy in the night or smoke one discretely without my wife clueing in :) there would be awesome views from a flybridge too! …sorry I know we are supposed to get back on track with this freaking awesome build adventure but I couldn’t help myself. For what it’s worth Sttr, top three build threads ever imo

I wish I had a flybridge! So nice to have a private space away from the family, have a beer with a buddy in the night or smoke one discretely without my wife clueing in :) there would be awesome views from a flybridge too! …sorry I know we are supposed to get back on track with this freaking awesome build adventure but I couldn’t help myself. For what it’s worth Sttr, top three build threads ever imo
The view from up top…. Gorgeous
Thanks hope this boat turns out nice!
This thread is like a movie, with everything, from excitement, disappointment, heartbreak, horror, but you still want to see what will happen in the end.
I had some guys share there projects and commanders with me lately that are keeping it on the low, wow some of the workmanship out there is unreal. There will be some nice podded commanders out there this summer, done out better than mine and with more power

The view from up top…. Gorgeous
Thanks hope this boat turns out nice!
This thread is like a movie, with everything, from excitement, disappointment, heartbreak, horror, but you still want to see what will happen in the end.
I had some guys share there projects and commanders with me lately that are keeping it on the low, wow some of the workmanship out there is unreal. There will be some nice podded commanders out there this summer, done out better than mine and with more power
The view from up top, hunting for drifting prawn traps and birds/signs of tuna, I like it.

That's what I want to hear, lots of guys working on commanders turning them into outboards or just working on them keeping them as good or better than new.

Did you check out that 30 footer for 109k in North Van? Looked like a smoking deal.

Today I went way
The view from up top, hunting for drifting prawn traps and birds/signs of tuna, I like it.

That's what I want to hear, lots of guys working on commanders turning them into outboards or just working on them keeping them as good or better than new.

Did you check out that 30 footer for 109k in North Van? Looked like a smoking deal.
Me personally no, I’m set on a 26 er that will be just under 30, perfect for than under 30 slip.
30 footer is a beast and I don’t have rain city money

Today I went way too far on the boat, I’m already out of my league, but this is too much for me.
I had a plan A , plan B, plan C, for everything so far and it was easy, now it’s over, im going to clean up and post some pics

Today I went way

Me personally no, I’m set on a 26 er that will be just under 30, perfect for than under 30 slip.
30 footer is a beast and I don’t have rain city money
Heeeeeere we go...

Today I went way too far on the boat, I’m already out of my league, but this is too much for me.
I had a plan A , plan B, plan C, for everything so far and it was easy, now it’s over, im going to clean up and post some pics
What do you mean?

I took out the kitchen today, I don’t know what I’m going to do , I didn’t have this planned,
I have to take these home and do something about them, I already spent so many nights in the garage working on boat pieces, my wife is going to kill me, I don’t have enough time to learn how to make cabinets. I need a drink9E9D01E2-0BF3-43A8-AB5C-7EF2F55ADFBE.jpeg49E65496-13F8-4726-8915-614F03A2FAA8.jpeg9E9D01E2-0BF3-43A8-AB5C-7EF2F55ADFBE.jpeg

Attachments

• 2906DC1B-55DB-40B6-B196-F5BD3E2568EA.jpeg
    2906DC1B-55DB-40B6-B196-F5BD3E2568EA.jpeg
    345.3 KB · Views: 70
Back