Commander 26 Re Build

Well the build must go on, Everyday!
After spending yesterday with the boy cleaning out the boat ,today could not be better no matter what happened.
Ron is digging in deep getting all the spider cracks ready and filled up, lots of work but needs to be done. Still haven’t decided on gel coat or epoxy, weighing pros and cons to both.FCF9667F-8B3B-4FE7-9407-932AA6BFC378.jpeg420658EB-2D30-4407-AC0F-8A593B9DC5FD.jpeg1D89652A-F2BC-42C7-B0C2-F2F22672469A.jpeg93A27D83-EF9F-49CB-97FA-89109D3B63CE.jpegB1263146-B67F-4F15-8B1F-CEF74D8C5548.jpegE2F3F101-05D9-450B-8728-A61CEDE12F7F.jpegB39A1770-F2FA-4918-B732-A0ADB6A5B039.jpeg

Is he using a dremel to feather out the cracks?
Looks like he’s using a grinder!
He’s got all the tools, not sure exactly what he used , these look more like a roloc was used, the spider cracks go deep. We where very surprised especially on the flybridge how excessive the cracking is.
These pics are the biggest baddest ones we did

When you look at where the spider cracks are on the bridge where the dodger fits,you have to visualize the bridge mold and how they glassed it in factory.They didn't roll out the bubbles over the sharp bend.The cracks came from lack of backing for the gelcoat ,air between the gel and skin out.Ron will know what I'm trying to say.Their not stress cracks.

Notch the transom and clamp on the outboards.
Got it, I’m learning all proper terminology… slowly
If you told me cut the hump out above the transom , I would tell you that’s my plan if the motors don’t tilt all the way up!
It sounds like a great idea, I’m worried not many people are on board with it and haven’t seen too many modified like that but seems like a very common design on newer boats.

Got it, I’m learning all proper terminology… slowly
If you told me cut the hump out above the transom , I would tell you that’s my plan if the motors don’t tilt all the way up!
It sounds like a great idea, I’m worried not many people are on board with it and haven’t seen too many modified like that but seems like a very common design on newer boats.
you discussed doing it in your last mega thread though.

When you look at where the spider cracks are on the bridge where the dodger fits,you have to visualize the bridge mold and how they glassed it in factory.They didn't roll out the bubbles over the sharp bend.The cracks came from lack of backing for the gelcoat ,air between the gel and skin out.Ron will know what I'm trying to say.Their not stress cracks.
Ron did mention something along those lines and pointed out a few areas where they didn’t roll the bubbles out, that was mainly inside hidden where one can’t see, I asked him why, he said whoever did it got lazy and figured no one would see, so we are trying to repair these areas and prevent future issues

you discussed doing it in your last mega thread though.
This is my only thread, if you want me to guess which mega post you are talking about it’s impossible, they are all mega posts. Link or reply to whatever thread your talking about. If you’re talking about Ron glassing a pod or notching the transom I am exploring all possibility’s and at least trying to learn about them

This is my only thread, if you want me to guess which mega post you are talking about it’s impossible, they are all mega posts. Link or reply to whatever thread your talking about. If you’re talking about Ron glassing a pod or notching the transom I am exploring all possibility’s and at least trying to learn about them
Why not just come clean and reintroduce yourself? Your Hourston thread was good, here’s hoping you have the time to finish this one. You have some skills for sure. Just not sure why you’re doing the incognito approach on this thread.

FYI , no fish where injured for this photo shoot.
Was caught accidentally in 80 feet of water after i hit the bottem lost my cannon and pulled my gear to find this. I figured this guy cost me 80 bucks and the only thing I can take from him was a picture.

Hhahaha he’s just busting your balls @Sttr. There was a crazy overbuilt hourston build a couple years ago. Probably 2,000 pounds worth of extra fibreglass in the boat. Your boat has almost progressed to the same point where you are gonna sell it on us. Like when dad went to the store for a pack of smokes and never came back.

Hhahaha he’s just busting your balls @Sttr. There was a crazy overbuilt hourston build a couple years ago. Probably 2,000 pounds worth of extra fibreglass in the boat. Your boat has almost progressed to the same point where you are gonna sell it on us. Like when dad went to the store for a pack of smokes and never came back.
Yes I heard that name before, many times. Do you think my boat is over built? Too heavy ?
Sell my boat? Wtf?
This build is going awesome IMO, obviously it coulda been smoother and the pod and fuel tank is a big bummer. But all in all I think it’s turning out great and going in the right direction. This build for me is better than an apprenticeship, and I totally accept all challenges associated with the process.
I chose the commander because I wanted the biggest heaviest widest 26 footer out there. If I wanted to “cut” weight I would of bought a
“Cut”water.
Im not sure where you see this extra 2000lbs. Keep in mind I pulled 1560lbs of engines and drives from the back, I don’t see any extreme weight difference yet, weight distribution yes,
And at the end of the day Ron can also add 2000 lbs to the front if needed!

Sorry , the words
Sell plus boat plus me
Don’t go good together

Back