Commander 26 Re Build

Still a bad artist, but you get the jist. A and B is a raked design. C is a straight back hull extended design. Poorly drawn on the C.

Attachments

• 20220314_183854.jpg
    20220314_183854.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 132
Here is a really quick drawing of how I do it. Simple and will never change the way the hull makes the carving. You don't want the rake too much. Just right. That depends on how much bow lift the hull has when on plane. Every boat is different. You want that pod to sit on the carving. You don't want to add displacement. If you do you absolutely change how the hull rides. Use more power that way. On smaller boats if fine. Big boats, you want efficiency and at a 26ft hull that's already a beast. Hope this makes sense. I gotta get some work done now lol. My 2 cents

Also keep in mind guys when done this way, you have to move the engi e up 1.5 inches per 12 inches setback. Sometimes more depending on bow or stern lift
Most people I talked to said to mount the pod above the hull. Actually everyone If I remember said to, I been told only to mount at the bottem of the hull if using a hull extension. I’m very interested in your reasons behind this

Most people I talked to said to mount the pod above the hull. Actually everyone If I remember said to, I been told only to mount at the bottem of the hull if using a hull extension. I’m very interested in your reasons behind this
I think he still thinks you should mount it a couple inches up. Even guys that do them "flush" still raise them up a touch.

I was only looking for more rake and max flotation because you seemed worried about flotation. Really doesn't matter if it's at the bottom v or up a few inches. What matters is the rake. That allows the boat to have maximum lift and not take away from the stability of the hull that the chines give on plane. Hope what im saying makes sense.

Y did you have to make C the bad one, A or B should be bad , I love the sea

Lol yeah I ****** that up. I was in the middle of a technical conversation about fluid flow and plumbing on a fuel polishing system. **** sakes I'm going to have a beer

Back to the original pod, did you guys talk about how to make it work? I thought about it some more today and if I was going to use it, I’d probably cut the top off, grind all the old welds out, cut a matching template for the back, tack it on, add in a few more gussets so it doesn’t move and then start pouring the weld into It. All the gap would end up getting filled with weld. You’d have a flat, and more importantly, a fully enclosed pod if done correctly. Weld as much as you can on the inside, then weld the top back on utilizing plug welds where needed.
It’s a very touchy situation, obviously there’s hurt feelings and pride involved, my guy is still awesome no love lost , back to business.
After half hour of dis belief and being kicked in the nuts, we came up with a plan for the pod, I want a new pod but it ain’t happening with him. We are not going to cut this one apart either. With 3/8 mounting to the hull and it being curved only on the outside edges , grinding off 1/8 on each side will still leave 1/4 at the lowest spot, tapering up to 3/8. That takes care of the curve. Then enclose the pod, not sure exactly how he wants to tackle it.
Close up those 3 plugs for lights.
He also needs to do something with that lil hump under the pod at the weld, smooth it out.
That’s the repair plan for the pod.

Does the 26 have a stern drain plug? The 30 does not have one and is a bit unique as water can only sit in the engine room. No way for water to get past the cabin bulkhead and is one reason they are dry and no smell inside. I think the 26 built the same way

Does the 26 have a stern drain plug? The 30 does not have one and is a bit unique as water can only sit in the engine room. No way for water to get past the cabin bulkhead and is one reason they are dry and no smell inside. I think the 26 built the same way
No drain plug

It’s a very touchy situation, obviously there’s hurt feelings and pride involved, my guy is still awesome no love lost , back to business.
After half hour of dis belief and being kicked in the nuts, we came up with a plan for the pod, I want a new pod but it ain’t happening with him. We are not going to cut this one apart either. With 3/8 mounting to the hull and it being curved only on the outside edges , grinding off 1/8 on each side will still leave 1/4 at the lowest spot, tapering up to 3/8. That takes care of the curve. Then enclose the pod, not sure exactly how he wants to tackle it.
Close up those 3 plugs for lights.
He also needs to do something with that lil hump under the pod at the weld, smooth it out.
That’s the repair plan for the pod.
As long as he’s just not slapping a plate on and welding it up to enclose it. He’s going to have to attach the innards to that plate somehow.

Back