2024 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Not like you haven’t help thin the herd.
At this point I wouldn't be retaining at all. I honestly feel like a bit of a loser after the past two seasons and still sitting at a PB of 27lbs from my first season on manual riggers at the bell. Even my average size has been way down. I figured this might be the year to finally break the shneid. No problem catching in general, just not big guys.

At this point I wouldn't be retaining at all. I honestly feel like a bit of a loser after the past two seasons and still sitting at a PB of 27lbs from my first season on manual riggers at the bell. Even my average size has been way down. I figured this might be the year to finally break the shneid. No problem catching in general, just not big guys.
I get that desire to catch large fish for sure…..we all do but in reality the average Chinook size has been steadily shrinking for many years. I was looking at my old log books and the drop off is even more startling that I remembered.

I get that desire to catch large fish for sure…..we all do but in reality the average Chinook size has been steadily shrinking for many years. I was looking at my old log books and the drop off is even more startling that I remembered.
I agree with that. But I've also witnessed more tyees this season than I've ever seen. Multiple tyee days were very normal this past two weeks. Verified ones, not SFBC tyees lol.

Definitely a bit of a phenomenon going on now at the middle and south arms though. A late season run of trophy sized chinook, most seem to be marbled, not all are white as you might expect this late in the year. Double headers of tyee class chinook on recent days for some.

Definitely a bit of a phenomenon going on now at the middle and south arms though. A late season run of trophy sized chinook, most seem to be marbled, not all are white as you might expect this late in the year. Double headers of tyee class chinook on recent days for some.
"Marbled" are just whites with a bit of pigment, still going to the Harrison / Vedder. Unless it is a true red, I consider them all whites.

Lack of heavy rain in the last three weeks has definitely made a difference. More fish been stacking up in the ocean and feeding than they normally do at this stage. Most springs caught in early October had anchovies and tiny bait fish in their bellies. I agree that it’s a new phenomenon but I think it’s more because of the longer staging and feeding period. Also, this is the return of the 2020 Vedder stocks which was a much larger release to feed the orcas. 🙄

"Marbled" are just whites with a bit of pigment, still going to the Harrison / Vedder. Unless it is a true red, I consider them all whites.
they may go to the same river systems, and it has no significance for me, but taste and texture wise I can tell the difference between a white and a marbled.

Congrats to Tightlines22. We must have been at a different sandheads yesterday. Started north of the mouth at 9, nothing but shakers eating our anchoys. Pulled up and crossed to the south side, and quickly went 2 for 3 with high teen nooks. Then the bite died, so we joined the small fleet back north. Boxed a clipped ho, but it was a grind only saw other nets out twice, despite fish jumping all over the place. Tried many depths, setbacks, esses, jogging the riggers. Felt like we lost, how spoiled is that? See ya next year.

Last edited:
I’ve caught a lot of fish locally over the last ten years. Yet to land a Tyee. Came within 2 ounces once. Lost a 40lb+ fish years ago right next to the boat after many looks. Was too stupid to take the rod away from a rookie. That memory will never leave me. In any case not a lot of tyees out there in percentage terms - but one thing is for certain - they ALL get posted to social media. Happy to see so many out there this year. Gives me hope!!!

I’ve caught a lot of fish locally over the last ten years. Yet to land a Tyee. Came within 2 ounces once. Lost a 40lb+ fish years ago right next to the boat after many looks. Was too stupid to take the rod away from a rookie. That memory will never leave me. In any case not a lot of tyees out there in percentage terms - but one thing is for certain - they ALL get posted to social media. Happy to see so many out there this year. Gives me hope!!!
I’m not sure all tyees get posted

If it makes you feel any better I am still waiting for my first Tyee... my best is 23lb. Problem could be that I use an accurate scale... 😏

Thinking of hitting Sandheads one last time on Monday or Tuesday - weather looks like it will cooperate. Thinking a lot of those fish have made the run up the river already with this rain but worth a shot I figure.

Back