2024 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

It was the best of times and the worst of times...

Nice sunrise on the way to Sandheads. Fished over there 07:30-13:30. One hatchery coho. Several missed bites stealing the bait (coho? chum?)

The orcas were really working right around the green can 12:00-12:30 and then I drifted away.

Saw a young family of 3 with a young kiddo on a ~18ft Lund land a salmon around 10:45hr. If that was you send me a PM.. I got a couple of pics

The Axopar with the fenders was a nice touch. I also got a VERY close inspection of a 30ft Cutwater. Thanks bud.

Ended the day by losing an MR3 overboard after a soft bite. It was like a salmon spitting the hook...somehow the rod just slipped outta my hands, bounced off the gunnel and took a dive. In hindsight I should've yanked the kill switch on my motor and jumped in after the rod but I didn't manage that in the moment. Was hoping that the release clip would bring it back up but no dice. Was in 250FSW so I think it's gone for good

Saw humpbacks breaching while running back towards Howe Sound.
That really sucks.
That black Cutwater almost rubbed off my DR on the starboard side and the guy in his 60s was just staring at me. WTF!
We lost a spring on the surface and long lined a wild coho by the boat. It was much slower for us today. Guess last week’s rain has just sent the bulk of the fish up the river.
BTW, humpbacks were also on the Gabriola side and gave us a great show. We live in a beautiful part of this world!

Sand heads today with the Mrs. Started off with 3 wild coho netted and released, our first chin 10’ from the boat hook pops off herring missed wife head but she got nailed by the flasher. 2nd chin just about to net it does a runner and wife’s knuckles get rapped on the gunnel , 3rd chin, got something on no fight at all thought i tangled the line in the rigger get it to the boat and the line is tangled in the release clip, but its not my line, hand bomb it , braided line with yellow flasher somebody got spooled, 20lb red. It was tired of dragging great around. 4 th chin side of the boat treble hook breaks and gone. Chinns 3 us 1. PSA. Check your hardware lost 6 fish to old hardware this year , lots of action we had a great day lots of fish left from our experience today.

Took advantage of the light wind forecast at SH yesterday. All morning we we were having to release everything we got between a few wild coho and a couple chum. Lost a couple more coho near the boat so I'm sure those ones were hatchery :rolleyes:. Hadnt found a spring until into the afternoon but then we got three in quick succession. Herring had a 6-0 lead for us yesterday until the final two springs came on anchovies. Almost lost some gear off the back table going over the wake from that big blue tug plowing through. Great day out there for this late into the season

Took advantage of the light wind forecast at SH yesterday. All morning we we were having to release everything we got between a few wild coho and a couple chum. Lost a couple more coho near the boat so I'm sure those ones were hatchery :rolleyes:. Hadnt found a spring until into the afternoon but then we got three in quick succession. Herring had a 6-0 lead for us yesterday until the final two springs came on anchovies. Almost lost some gear off the back table going over the wake from that big blue tug plowing through. Great day out there for this late into the season

seems that was the story of yesterday, Chum and coho on the ebb, then half way into the flood around 2pm people got into chinook more constantly.

I accepted an invitation from a buddy to fish the Cap yesterday, in his pocket cruiser. We started at around 830am and nothing until around noon, when I hooked a nice spring (approximately 20lbs). Came up to the back of the cruiser quickly after a few deep runs and started thrashing. My buddy was struggling to net it when she broke me off. Later, as I was reeling in to check my herring, a nice wild coho hit my bait while on the surface. Netted and released. After this my buddy offered a piece of his sandwich, which i refused when i saw it was salmon!!! I admonished him, and he said he wasn't superstitious! Nothing until around 4pm, when I hit a screamer, which got off without us seeing it. Both my buddy and I were using the same bait (herring) behind very similar flashers and same depths, but only I got any action, such as it was. I don't think he'll be eating anymore fish sandwiches while fishing again.

Fished the sandheads yesterday, first rod in the water at 1230pm nothing until 2pm then we landed a chum, netted and released followed by another chum and two wild coho also released, finally two large spring but they were dark so we also released them at the side of the boat. All in all a great day out there but nothing to show for our efforts except memories. Pulled the last rod out at 3:30 and headed home. All caught between 30 and 40 on the riggers.

Fished SH 7-1pm. Started with a bunch of shakers, then fish on and off. Released atleast 8 chums, 4 wild cohoes, kept 1 hatchery cohoe, 18lbs spring. Fishing 55 to 66 ft. on riggers. 120-250 fow. Lost nice spring, drop rigger down to 99ft. Got the big guy. Great weather. Anchovies and herring. Big herring did well.

Attachments

• IMG_7049.jpg
    IMG_7049.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_7045.jpg
    IMG_7045.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 243
Sandheads was great today. Weather was excellent. Tons of action in the morning north of the mouth. 50-60 on the riggers, then 70-80 in the afternoon. Nice clean chinooks and a couple of beauty hoes. It cost me a couple of productive spoons because I didnt retie them after several hard fights this season. On the bright side I can go tackle shopping. Anchovys still good for half the bites. Thought I had a fish of a life time, but after thirty minutes it turned out to be hooked in the side. Gently released. Fish jumping all over the place, go get them.

Attachments

• 20241003_134221.jpg
    20241003_134221.jpg
    343 KB · Views: 141
  • 20241003_134237_HDR.jpg
    20241003_134237_HDR.jpg
    404.2 KB · Views: 143
Report it.
Ya this, **** those guys. I have huge respect for anyone on the hustle as I'm there for sport, and always get out of their way. But this is totally uncalled for and it should not go unchecked.
I saw this thread, but didn't chime in until now. We had a trap lifted (or cut) the same day near SH. All brand new gear. I would like to report this, as several posters have suggested, but who to report to ?? I suppose we're nearest Richmond, so Richmond RCMP ?? DFO ? Coast Guard ? There needs to be consequences.

I saw this thread, but didn't chime in until now. We had a trap lifted (or cut) the same day near SH. All brand new gear. I would like to report this, as several posters have suggested, but who to report to ?? I suppose we're nearest Richmond, so Richmond RCMP ?? DFO ? Coast Guard ? There needs to be consequences.
DFO Richmond
604-607-4186
604-664-9250

[Name] DFO Observe Report Line
[Mobile] 1 (800) 465-4336
[Home] DFO.ORR-ONS.MPO@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Back