2024 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

These rains will help too. BTW, I'd like to give a big shout out to hydro for saving me from a cold and bitter version of myself earlier today haha...bus heat only works so well!

We will be out Sunday am on buddy's 232 gulfstteam, who wants to buy a hourston island runner, hit me up...(I really need to up my game in sales since @Rain City turned down my offer to sell)

These rains will help too. BTW, I'd like to give a big shout out to hydro for saving me from a cold and bitter version of myself earlier today haha...bus heat only works so well!

We will be out Sunday am on buddy's 232 gulfstteam, who wants to buy a hourston island runner, hit me up...(I really need to up my game in sales since @Rain City turned down my offer to sell)
I always thought the rain caused them to run up the river.. similar to a high tide where they can smell the fresh water and make a run for it.

Does rain help bring in another wave of replacements?

11:00 to 2:00 at SH today solo. Got a hatchery coho right away then slow. Didn’t see any Orcas where I was - north of green can. Then at 1:30 got a good hit and went 2 for 2 today in half hour (redemption from going 1 for 13 last week!). Both higher teens - one marbled female and a slightly longer but much thicker red male. All hits on anchovy at 65’.

Feel very lucky to be able to do this and consider this normal.

Last edited:
I always thought the rain caused them to run up the river.. similar to a high tide where they can smell the fresh water and make a run for it.

Does rain help bring in another wave of replacements?
There is a big rain event in September usually around the 20th that pushes them all up the river. It lasts like 3 days usually and lots of heavy rain. Thats lights out time but this probably isn’t it.

Any thoughts on rigging for anchovies and herring?
Two hooks or just one and treble or single hooks or a combination of the two?
Thanks.

Thanks.
I run a smaller treble with a 4/0 trailing hook. Toothpick in the line guide, and run baling wire to tune the roll. Salt the crap out of them for a few days so they are super dry and firm. I find this setup keeps bait intact longer, and catches fish.

Thanks.
After a few different methods I’m sold on a 4/0 single in the body of the bait and a 2/0 single trailing hook. Wild coho been hammering the bait this year, easier to release. Although 80% of the time they hook up on the trailing hook.

Going to be snotty out there today with a good size storm cell to hit SH round noon.
I know there will be a few brave soles out there ..

After a few different methods I’m sold on a 4/0 single in the body of the bait and a 2/0 single trailing hook. Wild coho been hammering the bait this year, easier to release. Although 80% of the time they hook up on the trailing hook.
I used to have a treble with a trailing 4.0 single when we were still allowed to fish the river’s mouth in July and August. The last couple of years I’ve switched to a 4.0 trailing and 5.0 single for large herring rigs. For anchovy setups I’m doing 4.0 and 2.0 for trailing. Easy to release the wild coho and doesn’t tangle with the net after landing the fish. I haven’t really noticed less hookups or losing more fish with the single hooks.

Back