2013 Ucluelet Fishing Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice fish, definitely great fishing out there not sure today but the past few days in close isn't great because of the water temp a few degrees difference will keep the fish out a ways to stay in cooler water.

We went out to South Bank and it was pretty slow. Took a chance and ran out to Southwest Corner and lucked out. Caught five nice springs after tide change in three hours. Went out again and caught six after tide change. Glow white hoochies with mylard skirt really worked good for us. Those fish are in a 165qt cooler.

So, you had 6 people in your boat, or you released a bunch? Maybe you could clarify your post for us. Very nice fish.

Getting ready to head out, today should be interesting seas 2.9 meters at 8 second intervals nice and steep at Big Bank as of 4 am hope the wind dies off. Good luck today all.

They did have more than 6 licensed anglers on their boat. Very nice boat too. They are Japanese from Washington,USA and enjoying their holidays here and sharing their great times with us. Honestly people, we're all in this world together, let's not label or try to blame people for getting a nice catch.

They did have more than 6 licensed anglers on their boat. Very nice boat too. They are Japanese from Washington,USA and enjoying their holidays here and sharing their great times with us. Honestly people, we're all in this world together, let's not label or try to blame people for getting a nice catch.

was thinking the same as you when I read baddogs reply

It was just a question folks, don't get your knickers in a knot. Check out the last part of my previous post. Jeez

That's O.K. Sometimes things don't come off the way they should. I have no problems. We had three on our boat fishing each time. No shakers for some reason and most were about the same size. I stay at Island West Resort, buy our food at the Co-Op and fuel at Eagle marine. Support the local economy best we can.

BTW, Have any of you noticed that the big runs are coming in later and later every year? We used to come out in the end on June just when the run was starting. Now we were up there the third week of July and the run hasn't started. Anyone have any ideas why?

I fish more up north the last few years (have a hard time justifying the ferry...) but I always thought there were a couple major runs... one peaking near the end of june and the other peaking mid aug.... someone more knowledgeable to the area will prob chime in with better reasoning.

Hiroshi
How deep did you get your fish?
Just curious what people are getting the bigger fish offshore at presently? I'm having been out lately but will soon, noticed that Trophyfish posted out of the Bamfield forum that he was hitting his fish deep (~150-180ft) offshore
thanks

Tubby, That's a tough question. We've been out on the banks and caught them from 100 ft on down. One year on Southbank, the big salmon were mostly around 130ft. This year, Southbak wasn't putting out anything big along with Big Bank so I took the chance and went to Southwest Corner. Nothing then tide change and once the outgoing tide started, we trolled North and only north and the bite was on. Everything down along the bottom. No shakers around and the only thing that worked was a Glow White hoochie with a straight mylar skirt. Others that came out after our first good catch didn't do so well. They didn't use the setup I told them. Other times green and white seems to do the trick. Either a Green or Red flasher with white on one side and plain chrome on the other side worked good this year. We're not die hards, we just go out and have a good time and get lucky. I've been trying to post our catch every year we've gone...Love fishing the Canadian west coat. Been blessed.

Bigdogeh, Funny you said that. I remember when we use to catch some pretty large fish at the end on June. As I read the posts, it seems the runs are coming in later and later. Maybe I should try going back in the end of June. It's a long haul for me on our boat. 165mile boat ride each way. Not a young buck anymore so this old crow gets really worn out. All I do now is fish and sleep.

Bigdogeh, Funny you said that. I remember when we use to catch some pretty large fish at the end on June. As I read the posts, it seems the runs are coming in later and later. Maybe I should try going back in the end of June. It's a long haul for me on our boat. 165mile boat ride each way. Not a young buck anymore so this old crow gets really worn out. All I do now is fish and sleep.

I know what you mean about fish and sleep. I also am not a young buck and find that to be my situation especially when in Ukee although there is one addition to that -
EATING. After fishing all day It seems I have the appetite of 2 people.

h.e.h.

hi hiroshi,
I used to go almost every year or so third week in june. was sometimes a hit or miss. but sometimes we hit them pretty good. and same as what you mentioned... usually picked them up fairly deep. sometimes had a hard time getting through the pinks and coho to find the springs below but there were times where if you could get to or touch the bottom you were almost guaranteed a nice spring and couldn't keep them off or do no wrong if you found a good area. caught quite a few just jigging if we could locate them. we would find baitballs and try to jig just below them or the depth where we thought we saw the most fish activity. or near the bottom and maybe pick up a spring or a hali... but the last 6 years or so I've been fishing up north... Prince Rupert, Port Edward,. (dundas, zayos, stephens island, Smith Island, Work Channel) the trip is longer but I find it alot more relaxing to be honest. no lower mainland traffic, no ferry (wait and expense), great fishing usually, large hali's, good sized lings. waters usually fairly calm and if not you can usually find fairly calm water if you look for it. a few of my friends though that used to fish 2nd to 4th week in june (tofino, euculet) are now fishing 2nd and 3rd week in august (Bamfield) and doing pretty good the last few years. picking up some really nice springs.... so far august is looking like it might be more consistent for good sized springs from what I've seen from my friends. but i'm kinda an outsider looking in and just going from what my friends are telling me. the local guys might see it differently. so at this point i'm contemplating heading up to bamfield or euculet with a few friends around that time (19th?) for a week or so. that's the plan at this point but it can change.... I've always fished rupert in june so not sure what august is like there. But i believe there's a late run of chinooks that heads to the nass. they usually start to head for the nass last week in august or early sept... or at least that was what it seemed like about 15-20 years ago... and I've caught a few nice northern coho (20+#) 3rd week of july they seemed to start to show up, so I would think there would be good opportunity for that, maybe better mid august. a friend of mine that grew up in rupert and fishes alot and is VERY productive tells me that august isn't that good a month in rupert for springs though. would kinda like to prove him wrong... haha.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last couple trips must have caught and released 20 plus 8 - 12 lbers a day on top of what the guests kept routing for the big ones. Heard Hysen turned up some nice size fish today. Big bank has been hot for my guests.

photo (50).jpg

photo (54).jpg

Fished west of the Hyson yesterday. Our 2 boats tubbed on Chinooks in 2 hrs including a Tyee.

Also got 55, 45 and 40 Halis

Attachments

• Wildcat 13.jpg
    Wildcat 13.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 582
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow a couple of nice catches. I am heeding over on Saturday first ferry for a couple of days and then returning next Friday for 16 days. I will post a report when I get home.

h.e.h.

looks like lots of action and it's heating up out there. looking good guys and thxs for the pics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back